Amazon Key: Let a stranger in your home.

Found 25th Oct 2017
Amazon has today revealed its new service in the US - Amazon Key.

The new service from the online giant is rolling out across the USA, allowing Amazon delivery drivers to place packages inside a house, rather than somewhere hidden. It's raised privacy questions for some, while others are concerned about a stranger having access to their front door.

With the Amazon Key service, wave goodbye to your Xbox One & cat, or worse...

2817683-RiwkN.jpg

Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
American's are so far behind us, the UK has had keys that let themselves into your house to relieve you of your hard earned belongings for years....Pi keys.
Crazy. You'll come home FD and find that someone has pinched your Chanchi.
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 24 m ago

In Japan the little square of floor after your front door, before the step …In Japan the little square of floor after your front door, before the step up into your hall is considered outdoor space, so if you forget to lock your front door the postman etc is legally entitled to enter upto the step.What happened to the Amazon drone service everyone was going on about last year?

It went over everyone's head
Give access to my house to Amazon delivery drivers?

32312804-OHkvf.jpg

Not happening.
21 Comments
They can take my Xbox One. It’ll cost them more to find games for it to play...
With the Amazon Key service, wave goodbye to your Xbox One & cat, or worse...

Couldn't nope out of this faster if I tried.
Alright if you have an airlock situation (2 front doors), flats or porches.

Andy@XCite27 m ago

Sounds like innuendo .
32312689-1hh7v.jpg
Edited by: "catbeans" 25th Oct 2017
American's are so far behind us, the UK has had keys that let themselves into your house to relieve you of your hard earned belongings for years....Pi keys.
Give access to my house to Amazon delivery drivers?

32312804-OHkvf.jpg

Not happening.
Sounds a risky job given US gun culture, what if someone in the house, or a neighbour is not aware they're expecting a delivery. Are Amazon providing their drivers with bullet proof vests and helmets.
Someone on here posted this deal a couple of days ago

20-Piece Lock Pick Set with Transparent Padlock and Credit Card Lock Picking Tool Kit by LockCowboy + Guide for Beginner and Pro Locksmiths
OR

You could just opt out.
barriey2 h, 37 m ago

American's are so far behind us, the UK has had keys that let themselves …American's are so far behind us, the UK has had keys that let themselves into your house to relieve you of your hard earned belongings for years....Pi keys.

Sits back and waits for the backlash
In Japan the little square of floor after your front door, before the step up into your hall is considered outdoor space, so if you forget to lock your front door the postman etc is legally entitled to enter upto the step.

What happened to the Amazon drone service everyone was going on about last year?
Segata-Sanshiro1 h, 24 m ago

In Japan the little square of floor after your front door, before the step …In Japan the little square of floor after your front door, before the step up into your hall is considered outdoor space, so if you forget to lock your front door the postman etc is legally entitled to enter upto the step.What happened to the Amazon drone service everyone was going on about last year?

It went over everyone's head
Some delivery drivers cant even be bothered to walk to the front door, they just toss it over the fence
In certain ares in the USA, residents never lock their front doors! My aunt lives in Baltimore in the USA and I was shocked to find out no one in her neighbourhood locks their front door
mutley140 m ago

In certain ares in the USA, residents never lock their front doors! My …In certain ares in the USA, residents never lock their front doors! My aunt lives in Baltimore in the USA and I was shocked to find out no one in her neighbourhood locks their front door

Same in Canada but then thats more understandable
If this service comes to the UK you would probably come home to an immigrant and their family hiding behind your settee!.
.MUFC.6 m ago

If this service comes to the UK you would probably come home to an …If this service comes to the UK you would probably come home to an immigrant and their family hiding behind your settee!.

they won't be hiding. they would be cooking a meal and putting their feet up on the sofa watching the footie. they aint stupid
Semi-tangential point, but I find it interesting to see how well Amazon have positioned themselves as people's go-to retailer. Skip back ten years, and the idea that someone would give one retailer £80 a year for a discount on postage with them would be considered another level of crazy. It'd be considered a total affront to the whole point of the internet, which is that it gives everyone equal access to everyone and everything else. Amazon pulled it off though, and now, through power of the old Sunk Cost Fallacy, it works tremendously to their advantage.

I can see this being the same again. £5 more for product X on Amazon versus another retailer? Might as well buy from Amazon anyway, to get value from the £250 Apple Key and £80 Amazon Prime contract. And with that sort of thinking, Amazon can continue to dominate the online marketplace, even despite being more expensive, and offering the poorest standards of customer service (I mean, seriously, I'd rather use Yodel than Amazon Logistics) out there.
This will flop... I hope.
don't see the issue myself, it comes packaged with a camera and linked to amazon, so the delivery guy scans the barcode, gets a code from amazon, and then opens the door where your camera will films them.

not much different to many offices and other businesses that have code entry systems and give couriers / tradespeople / the postie a code to open the door
Edited by: "eset12345" 28th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants