Amazon LG tv dropped by £100 one day after delivery

Found 30th Dec 2017
Hi,

I ordered a tv for a price of £529 with a gift card of £100. So cost to me being £429. I checked the tv that I ordered and spotted that it has dropped to £429.

I briefly spoke to amazon and they are telling me that I have to return the item and buy it again at the lower price. I can’t then use my £100 gift card that I had.

Is there any possible way to get amazon to refund the difference? Has anyone had any experience in this? I will re order and return it at worst case but seems a lot of effort for them for the sake of just refunding me £100 instead of arranging collection and re delivery of the new item.

Many thanks in advance

Alex

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

“I can’t then use my £100 gift card that I had.”

Why not?

They will have to refund the gift card as well and you can spend it on whatever you like

Dannyrobbo49 m ago

They will have to refund the gift card as well and you can spend it on …They will have to refund the gift card as well and you can spend it on whatever you like

But they won't refund until they have the TV back, by which time it might be more expensive, so it needs to be bought now with cash.

They used to do it all the time, but now as you have found out require you to send the item back.

So you can either do that, or not bother.

This is why I try to avoid looking at prices for items bought!

I picked up the LG C7 and SJ8 soundbar for 3K earlier in the year, can grab both for around 2K now, that's just how it is.

Original Poster

eayragt22 m ago

But they won't refund until they have the TV back, by which time it might …But they won't refund until they have the TV back, by which time it might be more expensive, so it needs to be bought now with cash.

That’s what they are saying on the phone at the moment. Seems a lot of effort for them and me. And the refund I’d gain from returning is my gift card to use for them. So can’t see why they won’t do it

You were happy to order the TV at £529 - you even had a FREE £100 gift card to use, making it £429, thus SAVING you £100 making you even more happy......and you want more!?

You got it for £429 £100 cheaper than anyone else, and you were more than happy to have it t that price, thus ordering it!!!

Prices go up and down all the time.

It's common practice for companies to insist on people returning ALL components of a deal...buy one get one free, must return both as they can't refund on a free item. Free gifts are exactly the same. The incentive was the £100 gift card. If you return it you aren't entitled to the cash for the gift card - that was free. If you return the tv without the gift card they are almost certainly going to refund you the price of the tv less £100 for the gift card.
Seems to me that you will be returning the tv for the same value - just the £100 will be in your bank and not tied up in a gift card.
Do you want that hassle?

artnada19 m ago

You were happy to order the TV at £529 - you even had a FREE £100 gift c …You were happy to order the TV at £529 - you even had a FREE £100 gift card to use, making it £429, thus SAVING you £100 making you even more happy......and you want more!? You got it for £429 £100 cheaper than anyone else, and you were more than happy to have it t that price, thus ordering it!!! Prices go up and down all the time.

Where have you read it’s a free gift card?

eayragt49 m ago

But they won't refund until they have the TV back, by which time it might …But they won't refund until they have the TV back, by which time it might be more expensive, so it needs to be bought now with cash.

Obviously, but it’s the chance you take because the price may not have gone up

Dannyrobbo8 m ago

Where have you read it’s a free gift card?

I'm hazzarding a guess that the OP recieved the Gift Card at Christmas. I may be right, I maybe wrong.
My point still stands. The OP was more than happy to ay the £529 price, hence why they ordered it.
Next week the price may go UP to £599, I wonder if they would be willing to pay that price? I'm not guessing the answer on that one.
Prices go up, prices go down. Some you win, some you lose. Yadda yadda yada. That's the chance you take.
Edited by: "artnada" 30th Dec 2017

19alexanderson912 h, 58 m ago

That’s what they are saying on the phone at the moment. Seems a lot of e …That’s what they are saying on the phone at the moment. Seems a lot of effort for them and me. And the refund I’d gain from returning is my gift card to use for them. So can’t see why they won’t do it

I would guess that they are relying on it being too much effort for a majority of people, so they won't bother, & this means Amazon get to keep your money & you get to keep the item you valued at a higher price yesterday.

As @benjammin316 said above, reviewing the price paid after a purchase is often a disheartening affair. However, you can also be pleasantly surprised now & again.

A few times I have bought items (from Amazon) that have increased by a couple of hundred pounds less than a day after purchase; sometimes even minutes afterwards!

Some you win... some you lose.

PS. In my experience, if you take the item to a Collect+ location, your refund will be processed sooner.
Edited by: "fanpages" 30th Dec 2017

artnada27 m ago

I'm hazzarding a guess that the OP recieved the Gift Card at Christmas. I …I'm hazzarding a guess that the OP recieved the Gift Card at Christmas. I may be right, I maybe wrong. My point still stands. The OP was more than happy to ay the £529 price, hence why they ordered it. Next week the price may go UP to £599, I wonder if they would be willing to pay that price? I'm not guessing the answer on that one. Prices go up, prices go down. Some you win, some you lose. Yadda yadda yada. That's the chance you take.

Its still not free though it’s bought and paid for. I’d still send it back though out of principle plus if it did go up (which it more than likely won’t) you could just buy another TV theres plenty of choice.

have a look at other websites they usually all drop to similar prices if it’s a manufacturer based price drop which means it’s probably permanent as opposed to just a retailer having a sale.
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 30th Dec 2017

Original Poster

I’ve arranged for collection of the item and I have now ordered the lower cost item. Which will stay in its box and get returned as my old one at no cost to me. The £100 gift card is also going to be refunded as a gift card then they are now going to transfer it to my bank, as I wanted to use it on the tv. And the price changed on the date of delivery. Not a month or a week. Normally if it was a week or two I wouldn’t of bothered but the fact it was changed on the day. It’s cost amazon an hour phone call and a collection and delivery charge now.

Original Poster

fanpages1 h, 4 m ago

I would guess that they are relying on it being too much effort for a …I would guess that they are relying on it being too much effort for a majority of people, so they won't bother, & this means Amazon get to keep your money & you get to keep the item you valued at a higher price yesterday.As @Benjammmin316 said above, reviewing the price paid after a purchase is often a disheartening affair. However, you can also be pleasantly surprised now & again.A few times I have bought items (from Amazon) that have increased by a couple of hundred pounds less than a day after purchase; sometimes even minutes afterwards!Some you win... some you lose.PS. In my experience, if you take the item to a Collect+ location, your refund will be processed sooner.

Yeah I normally wouldn’t bother, and it has to be done by arrow Xl

Original Poster

artnada1 h, 21 m ago

I'm hazzarding a guess that the OP recieved the Gift Card at Christmas. I …I'm hazzarding a guess that the OP recieved the Gift Card at Christmas. I may be right, I maybe wrong. My point still stands. The OP was more than happy to ay the £529 price, hence why they ordered it. Next week the price may go UP to £599, I wonder if they would be willing to pay that price? I'm not guessing the answer on that one. Prices go up, prices go down. Some you win, some you lose. Yadda yadda yada. That's the chance you take.

I got it from my boss yes. I was happy to pay £529 but the fact it went down by £100 on the day of delivery was the annoying point. Normally I wouldn’t check

Sorry Op, I misunderstood your original post. I thought the £100 gift card was a freebie with the tv. Now I understand why you were so peeved. Glad you got it sorted.

Original Poster

mrty31 m ago

Sorry Op, I misunderstood your original post. I thought the £100 gift card …Sorry Op, I misunderstood your original post. I thought the £100 gift card was a freebie with the tv. Now I understand why you were so peeved. Glad you got it sorted.

No worries I don’t explain myself very well sometimes. All I’m doing now is going to get the new tv and return that one so I haven’t gotta pack it up as it works perfectly. So I asked if I can return the new one as the original one and they said yes and I recorded it and that they’d transfer my gift card to my bank so I’m covered

Excellent. Glad all ok now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants