Amazon Lightning deals, all stock goes in less than a second, am I missing something here?

Found 11th Dec 2013
Hi beautiful people:

I have experienced this a lot lately, specially on the "Black Friday" deals.

For the time I click the button I go straight in the high 40s on the waiting list. Sometimes as far back as the low 100s.

This is in the second or so that it takes for the deal to refresh on the "ribbon" and the "add to basket" button to materialise.

Now there is a possibility that this is completely normal and there is just people waiting for the same deal that have lower network latency and they are just better at clicking buttons.

However what makes me suspicious is that occassionally an inordinate amount of orders get cancelled within 20 minutes and you do get stock.

This happened today with the Fuji camera. I looked at the deals available today and guessed this was the one most likely to show this behaviour. And it did. I watched it go from "add deal" to "join waiting list" in a blink... then 20 minutes after only 20% of the stock was taken and it has remained like this until now. I am a bit paranoid and that smells to bot.

So, is there a quicker way to snatch these deals than sitting there waiting for the "ribbon" to refresh? Am I doing this wrong? Or is just that I have to compete with scripts?
Community Updates
7 Comments
Most items can be found cheaper anyway. shop around
whatsThePoint

looks like a case of you being a bit slow

That's what I like to think, that this behaviour is due to the fact that no one knows how much the discount is going to be, so you snatch first and decide whether is a deal or not later.

And I am just being slow.

But... I've played MMORPGs for nearly two decades now, and that is what you experience when you are set against scripts.

It does not matter how good your team is, how experienced, how focused, how good is your ping, a script will claim first 90% of the time unless there is a problem with the connection or the computer hosting it.

Maybe that is what is making me paranoid and there is no more than what meets the eye here, but I thought I would ask, just in case.
q44q

Most items can be found cheaper anyway. shop around

Not always. There are occasionally a gem or two to be found
MrT04d

Not always. There are occasionally a gem or two to be found

True but like i said MOST
100's of people add it to the basket before seeing the price.

They see the price and decide not to buy.

After 15 minutes they lose the product, and it becomes available for someone on the waiting list, who it is reserved for for 5 mins.

20 minutes after the lightning deal went live if this isn't claimed it becomes available, therefore 100% claimed goes to 20% claimed.

Perfectly usual, it's people adding it to their basket or their waiting list and then not purchasing. The good will still be reserved for 15-20 minutes (or even more if high numbers on wait list).

Is it bot's? Maybe - more likely huge numbers on site, and you being a little too far from your exchange!
Edited by: "eayragt" 11th Dec 2013
whatsThePoint

if amazon do a deal with 3 items of something and 500 people are going … if amazon do a deal with 3 items of something and 500 people are going for it what are the chances of getting it in your basketplus having faster fingers i have had such items in my basket

Low. And you are right, is not difficult to find people with better reflexes than mine. Or better at the many factors involved in a split second event.

Besides someone scripting for this where you can only get one item per account, which would also involve having multiple accounts vs a bunch of people being just faster than me... well, it doesn't look good for my conspiracy theory.

Said that the bad thing with paranoia is that it doesn't matter how many statistics and and how much logic your throw at it, it won't shut up. Even if you present it with the proverbial smoking gun still won't shut up.
whatsThePoint

if you have slow reflexes start repeatedly clicking a couple of secs … if you have slow reflexes start repeatedly clicking a couple of secs before the "button" pops up, you then have a chance to click before anyone else has even noticed "add to basket" let alone clicked on it, just hope no one else has read this post

Thanks for the tip now let's let this thread sink
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants