Amazon marketplace BUYER attempting scam

Found 25th Jun 2011
Hi all,

I just wanted some advice. I'm an amazon marketplace seller who sold a brand new and sealed boxset to a buyer who then claimed that three discs were missing from the boxset. In fact, he initially claimed one disc was missing and then a day later he claimed he'd "just realised" that two other discs and a case were also missing. When he claimed one disc was missing I was quite willing to believe him (these things do occassionally happen), but the second message seemed unbelievable to me.

Despite my scepticism, I refunded him sufficient cash to return the boxset on the priviso that he used my original packaging to return the boxset and got a certificate of posting. When the boxset arrived it was beaten-up looking and it was clearly missing a case, but that definately wasn't so when I sent it (the slipcase was bulging with discs with no possible gap showing). There was also a weight discrepancy: the parcel (despite using exactly the same box and buuble wrap I sent it out in) was now 118 grams lighter, which (quell suprise!) is exactly what three discs and a case weigh (I just checked). I have the certificate of postings for both my dispatch of the item and his return of it as clear proof of this weight discrepancy.

I'm certain that this guy has nicked the missing discs (I can only assume he had damaged or missing discs in a set he already owned) and I've sent over the evidence to amazon. I also spoke to them, but they were (as usual) useless and suggested that I refund the guy his money in the meantime while they investigate. I told them in no uncertain terms that I had no intention of doing that because the buyer was clearly a thief and a fraudster!

(BTW, the discs could not have been taken out by a dodgy post office worker as the boxset arrived sealed).

Apart from presenting all the evidence I can to amazon, is there anything else I could/should be doing? I'll be very annoyed if (as I suspect is going to happen) this thieving **** is going to get away with this, leaving me out of pocket and (probably) with negative feedback (assuming he's cheeky enough to steal off me and then leave negative feedback - which I suspect he will be).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did think of the police, but was told that they only investigate internet fraud of this nature when the item is worth £500 or more and my boxset was only worth £45.

13 Comments

I'm not sure what Amazon's policy is but can you just refuse to refund the buyer? And is there a way to leave your own comments on people's feedback like on eBay? So if the buyer leaves a negative, you can follow it up with a comment saying they were trying to defraud you?

its pointless. something similar happened to me when I sold a brand new book on the marketplace. the buyer claimed to amazon that the book they received had a brown line on the front cover and therefore was not brand new. now this was absolute crap coz I had only bought the book brand new shortly before I sold it and it was in pristine condition.

Amazon automatically refunded the buyer and ignored everything I had told them. I objected to amazon so much that they ended up revoking my sellers account. despite the fact that I had around 100 positive reviews from buyers and no negative ones.

Amazon simply didnt want to know about it. Many buyers also tried to scam me by waiting several months then claiming to not have received their expensive item. I always sent my items special delivery and kept the receipt for 12 months. on at least 10 instances this was attempted with me and Amazon were ready to refund the customer and take the money from me if I hadnt provided the special delivery reference number, receipt and proof that the buyer had signed for it. The buyers were hoping that the seller would have thrown the receipt away after several months and chance their claim with amazon. I had made amazon quite a lot of money in fees and they chose to ignore anything that I said so if I were you I'd take the hit.

Point to note though. I used a pre-paid mastercard on my seller account so that amazon couldnt take the money back from me...I didnt lose out in the end financially but Amazon were totally useless. Any seller on the amazon marketplace is wide open to be scammed so beware.

Many people are naive and assume that everyone is honest.....everyone is not honest.

oldmanhouse

I'm not sure what Amazon's policy is but can you just refuse to refund … I'm not sure what Amazon's policy is but can you just refuse to refund the buyer? And is there a way to leave your own comments on people's feedback like on eBay? So if the buyer leaves a negative, you can follow it up with a comment saying they were trying to defraud you?

You cant refuse. To have sellers account you must have a payment card on record. If a buyer claims to Amazon against a seller then Amazon refund the buyer then take the money back off your payment card. You lose the item and the money.

StevenA2000_uk

If a buyer claims to Amazon against a seller then Amazon refund the … If a buyer claims to Amazon against a seller then Amazon refund the buyer then take the money back off your payment card. You lose the item and the money.

get the card cancelled and replaced?

harlzter

get the card cancelled and replaced?

Didnt have to, like all visa/mastercards they expire after a couple of years. this one only had around 5 months before it expired so I just left it until it got renewed with a new card number. Job done.

But yeah, the other option was to cancel the card or report it as lost/stolen and get a new one but that would have cost at least £5. the cost of the book sale was only £8 believe it or not.

I would be tempted to publish the buyer's name and address etc ( using an alias) on any site I could find if it isn't resolved.

OP can we have the address used please so I can add it to my blacklist database.

Banned

Amazon are incredibly buyer orientated. They ignore all common sense and dont care if the seller is out of pocket out of hundreds. They mostly side with buyers, even if common sense dictates otherwise.

An example, a mate of mine sold a brand new phone to a lady who bought it for her husband as a xmas present about 3 months in advance. After new year she emailed my mate and tells him that the phone is too complicated for her husband and that she wants to send it back for a refund. My mate told her that he will help her if the phone is not as described or if there is a fault, but 3 months later (depreciation, box opened etc) he cannot refund her just because its not what she wants or she didnt do her research beforehand. She opened an a-z claim against him and my mate explained that this reason that it would not be accepted at any retail shop. Amazon decided in her favour as the phone that she purchased was supposed to be locked to the network '3' but the one my mate had sent her was unlocked to all networks, so they concluded that it wasnt the same item and he even got his seller account blocked.

Also another thing to note (take note potential sellers) is that when amazon side with the buyer, they refund the buyer back instantly and charge your bank account/credit card etc (you will have a bank account listed as thats where you will be receiving your funds) and its not a direct debit that you can cancel either. ALSO, amazon do not require the buyer to return the items back to the seller before they give a refund, which leaves you out of product and out of pocket. Amazon say that its down to the seller to ask the buyer to return the product and its up to them whether they do or not, and that they will not get involved. Their fees are also quite dire. I personally would not sell on amazon. Oh and if they suspend your seller account for any reason, they also block anyone else that lives at your address or uses your internet connection.

OP you should post the buyers details.

StevenA2000_uk

its pointless. something similar happened to me when I sold a brand new … its pointless. something similar happened to me when I sold a brand new book on the marketplace. the buyer claimed to amazon that the book they received had a brown line on the front cover and therefore was not brand new. now this was absolute crap coz I had only bought the book brand new shortly before I sold it and it was in pristine condition.Amazon automatically refunded the buyer and ignored everything I had told them. I objected to amazon so much that they ended up revoking my sellers account. despite the fact that I had around 100 positive reviews from buyers and no negative ones.Amazon simply didnt want to know about it. Many buyers also tried to scam me by waiting several months then claiming to not have received their expensive item. I always sent my items special delivery and kept the receipt for 12 months. on at least 10 instances this was attempted with me and Amazon were ready to refund the customer and take the money from me if I hadnt provided the special delivery reference number, receipt and proof that the buyer had signed for it. The buyers were hoping that the seller would have thrown the receipt away after several months and chance their claim with amazon. I had made amazon quite a lot of money in fees and they chose to ignore anything that I said so if I were you I'd take the hit.Point to note though. I used a pre-paid mastercard on my seller account so that amazon couldnt take the money back from me...I didnt lose out in the end financially but Amazon were totally useless. Any seller on the amazon marketplace is wide open to be scammed so beware.Many people are naive and assume that everyone is honest.....everyone is not honest.

And ebay are the total opposite giving all support to the seller in a recent case I had with them over an expensive item which was list as "brand new" and clearly wasnt as well as having had the warranty registered weeks earlier.

Ebay were useless to me as the buyer and did nothing to stop the seller re-selling the item to someone else after id returned it. I didnt get my refund till weeks after this re-sell and the seller refused to return my original postage or the return postage, ebay just let them away with everything
Edited by: "jase.2" 25th Jun 2011

Banned

jase.2

And ebay are the total opposite giving all support to the seller in a … And ebay are the total opposite giving all support to the seller in a recent case I had with them over an expensive item which was list as "brand new" and clearly wasnt as well as having had the warranty registered weeks earlier.Ebay were useless to me as the buyer and did nothing to stop the seller re-selling the item to someone else after id returned it. I didnt get my refund till weeks after this re-sell and the seller refused to return my original postage or the return postage, ebay just let them away with everything

In the future make the claim via paypal and not ebay. You will get your original postage back at the very least and can have your money back in as little as a fortnight.

Can you not ask Amazon to look into wether the guy has a history of asking for a refund or what-not?

He might have a history of doing this.If Amazon are sensible about it, then they should have him banned and have you keep your cash.

Might be his first time trying this right enough.Still sucks though.

Im sure there was a very similar post on here recently where a buyer had a missing disc from a boxset. I cannot however find the post - just wondered how this was resolved as it may have helped the OP.

Principally, I could't agree more than all the comments made by everyone. Also believe that the purchaser is a scamming git. I think you should look outside the box and put a value to potentially losing your account with Amazon and would it be worth £45. From a business point of view, sometimes you need to bite the bullet and accept the loss as you can write this off against your accounts. Not siding with anyone, but just giving you another viewpoint.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions