Amazon Marketplace purchases not covered by Consumer Credit Act

Found 19th Jan 2013
This also applies to fulfilled by amazon purchases too.

Just a heads up to an article on the Guardian web site stating that Amazon marketplace purchases may not be covered by section 75 of the consumer credit act. (covers items bought via cc in the £100 to £30,000 range.)
"it has emerged that shoppers buying through Amazon's marketplace service do not get this protection because of the complicated way the internet giant processes payments. The fact that Amazon takes the money then passes it on to the retailer – minus its commission – renders the protection invalid, Guardian Money has learned."
Community Updates
23 Comments
Original Poster
guardian.co.uk/mon…act

This thread highlighted by simplyjimbo is must read for anyone considering purchasing a pricey item from a market place seller, Thanks jimbo.
amazon.co.uk/for…LZS
Edited by: "sil0" 19th Jan 2013
Woah! That means paypal isn't safe??????
Woah! That means Google Checkout isn't safe??????
Woah! That means Sagepay isn't safe??????
Original Poster
Valid points sheng that need to be clarified.

Edited by: "sil0" 19th Jan 2013
I never did figure out how people managed to do chargebacks on paypal. Effectively it makes paypal the loser, even though they completed their part of the transaction lol..
Its all a scam. the whole amazon market place has no protection for the sellers either. amazon will take the buyers side every time. Even if you send a brand new item to somebody they can claim that it wasnt as described. there will be no investigation or anything else, amazon's default position is to favour the buyer every time.

Original Poster
Is it me or has amazon been slipping lately, I have been shopping with them for years with no major complaints until about 6 months ago. They let me down twice & one of my purchases was a Xmas gift, a big black mark in the book.
With less competition by the day, I can't see things improving.
Banned
@Shengis are you on a horse or have you been at those Tesco burgers again?
Hmm seems interesting. Although any items that i have bought throught a seller via amazon and subsequently had a problem with Amazon have sorted it.

i.e I tried to contact the seller and they never got back to me, then contacted amazon and they said try again, wait a couple of weeks then get back to us. After a couple of weeks another email to say that despite sending another email the seller had still not go back in touch, amazon then refunded me the cost of the item and postage. Problem solved...almost

Obviously i still had the faulty item, a further email to amazon asking what to so with it??? Email reply was keep it or bin it as they couldn't get a reply from the seller either.

EDIT: forgot to mention: don't forget about the Sale of Goods Act, a product must be fit for purpose for 5/6 years (depending on country)

Edited by: "mclovin9091" 19th Jan 2013
september_boy

Yes.
mclovin9091

Hmm seems interesting. Although any items that i have bought throught a … Hmm seems interesting. Although any items that i have bought throught a seller via amazon and subsequently had a problem with Amazon have sorted it.i.e I tried to contact the seller and they never got back to me, then contacted amazon and they said try again, wait a couple of weeks then get back to us. After a couple of weeks another email to say that despite sending another email the seller had still not go back in touch, amazon then refunded me the cost of the item and postage. Problem solved...almostObviously i still had the faulty item, a further email to amazon asking what to so with it??? Email reply was keep it or bin it as they couldn't get a reply from the seller either.EDIT: forgot to mention: don't forget about the Sale of Goods Act, a product must be fit for purpose for 5/6 years (depending on country)

Try getting Amazon's help after the a to z period is over, another story then no doubt. This has been a problem for quite sometime and many have either ignored the problem or doubted it existed for both PayPal and Amazon marketplace purchases, this also applies to group buying sites like Groupon too.

Just one thread I have kept tabs on amazon.co.uk/for…LZS
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 20th Jan 2013
Original Poster
Interesting thread that simplyjimbo, I ain't read it all yet, but one interesting fact I have learned from it is that you will not be covered on the fulfilled by amazon purchases either.
Banned

a product must be fit for purpose for 5/6 years (depending on country)

Ahem - that is rubbish it depends on the cost of the item as to how long it can reasonably be deemed "fit for purpose" .
If you bought something for a £1 you couldn't argue that the item should last 5/6 years - but if you bought a £1k television then you can reasonably expect it to last that long if not a little longer.
Banned
september_boy

Neigh.
shopping is like a battle ground. Thanks for the post OP.
Banned
SHOWMAN36

Neigh.

Crikey.... And just 1 month short of 7 years!
may the force be with u luke
^ that's what I was thinking
StevenA2000_uk

Its all a scam. the whole amazon market place has no protection for the … Its all a scam. the whole amazon market place has no protection for the sellers either. amazon will take the buyers side every time. Even if you send a brand new item to somebody they can claim that it wasnt as described. there will be no investigation or anything else, amazon's default position is to favour the buyer every time.

Not that I have seen on the Amazon reviews. It appears Amazon don't care about customers, and sellers have free reign to sell illegal goods.

It seems that marketplace sellers have free-reign to accept as much money as possible, and can then say they are "bankrupt", and run away with the money, with Amazon backing up their position, and the credit card companies too. Legal robbery.
Edited by: "anewman" 29th Jan 2013
everywhere is going to the dogs
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions