Amazon marketplace seller purchase

Posted 7th Feb
I recently purchased a EPOS till from an Amazon Marketplace Seller. the description for the item on Amazon states no ongoing expenditure and also states no monthly costs. I received a call from a number I didn't recognise so entered it into Google and it came up as the company who I purchased the till from, what caught my eye was then some negative reviews against this phone number. from reading the reviews I learnt that when purchasing a till from them, in the t&c's on their own website it states that software licence renewal must be done on an annual basis for 5 years.

So, being alarmed by this, I've messaged the seller on numerous occasions to ask them to confirm that there are no ongoing costs and licence fees to pay as per the description when purchasing via Amazon. They have not responded to these messages.

My concern is that they attempt to try and get me to purchase a licence each year when the description of the item on Amazon does not stipulate this and no terms and conditions on this were provided as part of the sale.

As I'm getting no response to my messages can I ask Amazon to ask the company about this and where do I stand if they did try and demand a licence payment and potentially pass the 'Debt' onto a debt collector, which has been reported on the review websites.
Community Updates
9 Comments
Just return it, not as described.
Usually find first operation requires user to agree to t&c with statement of same or reference where to find them.
Observation: an annual charge is not a monthly cost.
AndyRoyd07/02/2020 15:58

Observation: an annual charge is not a monthly cost.

it does state 'no ongoing expenditure' and then further on 'no monthly costs'
supacook2k07/02/2020 16:20

it does state 'no ongoing expenditure' and then further on 'no monthly …it does state 'no ongoing expenditure' and then further on 'no monthly costs'

That is probably an accurate statement for the hardware.
What about the firmware/software?
AndyRoyd07/02/2020 16:35

That is probably an accurate statement for the hardware.What about the …That is probably an accurate statement for the hardware.What about the firmware/software?

nothing mentioned about software at all. I've checked if they have any of the t&c's from their own website on amazon and i cant find any therefore when agreeing the sale if i'm not made aware of any terms such as this then surely they couldn't demand a payment off me. I have noticed they do have other listings which has the 'no ongoing expenditure' and 'no monthly costs' removed. see the original listing below.

amazon.co.uk/gp/…c=1
Edited by: "supacook2k" 7th Feb
supacook2k07/02/2020 16:40

nothing mentioned about software at all. I've checked if they have any of …nothing mentioned about software at all. I've checked if they have any of the t&c's from their own website on amazon and i cant find any therefore when agreeing the sale if i'm not made aware of any terms such as this then surely they couldn't demand a payment off me. I have noticed they do have other listings which has the 'no ongoing expenditure' and 'no monthly costs' removed. see the original listing below.https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07KR7YNYP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not looked at fine detail but the hosted solution may be subscription-based but the offline version may not, but yes you would normally have to explicitly agree to a sub for that sub to be legitimately collectable.
TBH if the vendor genuinely does not respond to enquiries (rather than simply some comms issue) then maybe other areas of support may be equally poor = do you really want to expose yourself to little or zero support, regardless of any sub issue or not?
AndyRoyd07/02/2020 17:01

Not looked at fine detail but the hosted solution may be …Not looked at fine detail but the hosted solution may be subscription-based but the offline version may not, but yes you would normally have to explicitly agree to a sub for that sub to be legitimately collectable.TBH if the vendor genuinely does not respond to enquiries (rather than simply some comms issue) then maybe other areas of support may be equally poor = do you really want to expose yourself to little or zero support, regardless of any sub issue or not?

To be fair the technical support has been great over the phone. Just trying to get something in writing that states there is no other charges seems to be a stumbling block
Maybe they wanted to make you aware of their "Valentines Sale Limited Period Offer":

39858085-ipbXU.jpg
Either way, there is an 0800 number to call them back, if you wish to use it.

If you do not wish to use it/call back, then the 0800 number is still there.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants