Amazon no longer refund price drops?

Posted 29th Nov
I bought something the other day and it arrived yesterday. I was browsing the site this morning and saw that my item had been reduced by £100 so I contacted the customer service and they said that they won't refund the price difference and if I want the new price I have to send my item back for a refund and buy it again.

The item was sold by Amazon and in the past they've always just refunded the price difference. I was really surprised that they'd be that stubborn about it...especially since it's a big bulky item that Hermes will need to come and collect and then another van will need to deliver the replacement. I asked to speak to a manager and she said the same thing.
Community Updates
26 Comments
Yeah it’s been like this for quite a while now
They've been like this for years. Not very green is it.
Yeah, they do not for a while. They will offer to sent back for a refund.
Definitely has changed BUT there’s sometimes a chance I asked for a price difference I think it was like £10 but instead of a refund I asked for it as an amazon voucher and he did it for me
DanSpaghetti29/11/2019 12:43

Definitely has changed BUT there’s sometimes a chance I asked for a price d …Definitely has changed BUT there’s sometimes a chance I asked for a price difference I think it was like £10 but instead of a refund I asked for it as an amazon voucher and he did it for me

Ah that's interesting. Werid they didn't even offer that to me. I've decided to return for a full refund now and not buy it again...didn't feel like it was worth the money, even with a discount.
MetallicA29/11/2019 12:44

Ah that's interesting. Werid they didn't even offer that to me. I've …Ah that's interesting. Werid they didn't even offer that to me. I've decided to return for a full refund now and not buy it again...didn't feel like it was worth the money, even with a discount.

Oh for that amount I agree £100 isn’t pocket change. It’s not very eco friendly for amazon. But next time try a few agents and just about instead of a refund an amazon voucher would be fine. Sweet talk sometimes gets you everywhere
DanSpaghetti29/11/2019 12:43

Definitely has changed BUT there’s sometimes a chance I asked for a price d …Definitely has changed BUT there’s sometimes a chance I asked for a price difference I think it was like £10 but instead of a refund I asked for it as an amazon voucher and he did it for me

All get's marked on your account against your buyer rating, if that falls too low you get the dreaded email of doom. Returning items is frowned upon the most.
Jace_Phoenix29/11/2019 12:48

All get's marked on your account against your buyer rating, if that falls …All get's marked on your account against your buyer rating, if that falls too low you get the dreaded email of doom. Returning items is frowned upon the most.

What's the email of doom? I didn't know there was a buyer rating!
Rune_2H29/11/2019 12:53

Comment deleted

Oh wow. I've shopped with them since 2000 so I think I'll be OK haha only ever returned a handful of things.
Rune_2H29/11/2019 12:53

Comment deleted

This is kind of true I think (no one knows) it’s also based on the value and the amount of returns, with regards to trustworthy I think this is where people do wrong they don’t supply proof amazon do have a customer email and I’ve always sent picture of items faulty/damaged and they always appreciate it. Whether it makes a difference I dunno.
They will be absolutely hammered with returns this time of the year. amazon do send out items that aren’t sealed sometimes too even when purchased new.
Jace_Phoenix29/11/2019 12:48

All get's marked on your account against your buyer rating, if that falls …All get's marked on your account against your buyer rating, if that falls too low you get the dreaded email of doom. Returning items is frowned upon the most.

why are people so scared about the loss of an online shopping account, Amazon’s customer service has taken a dive and they’re rarely the cheapest.

I’d return it OP and order again
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 29th Nov
Dannyrobbo29/11/2019 14:01

why are people so scared about the loss of an online shopping account, …why are people so scared about the loss of an online shopping account, their customer service has taken a dive and they’re rarely the cheapest. I’d return it OP and order again

Decided to return for a refund instead as it wasn't as good as I hoped, even if it was £100 less second time around. More money in the bank for aftershave deals I don't need on HDUK
Amazon haven't had the price difference policy for a year at least, probably longer. Last time I think I used it was two years ago buying some LOL Surprise thing for my niece, in the lead up to Xmas 2017!
Dannyrobbo29/11/2019 14:01

why are people so scared about the loss of an online shopping account, …why are people so scared about the loss of an online shopping account, Amazon’s customer service has taken a dive and they’re rarely the cheapest. I’d return it OP and order again

It depends on what you get from them - if you use a Kindle, and "buy" books from them, you only get a licence. If your account closes, in theory you lose access to the stuff you paid for. I assume something similar happens for apps and media (video streaming, CD rip etc).
Been this way for at least a couple of years which is when I had to send a coat back to them and re-order the same one at the cheaper price
Rune_2H29/11/2019 14:17

Comment deleted

Yeah agreed amazon warehouse can be cheaper but that’s not really comparable because it’s limited and has no warranty
Rune_2H29/11/2019 17:17

Comment deleted

great you done well there, but they are all manufacturer warranty I mean they only come with amazons satisfaction guarantee any warranty with the manufacturer is totally luck of the draw you just can’t compare their warehouse deals with new products.

Amazons new products are rarely cheaper and most people pay for prime anyways which makes it less of a good deal, it’ll only get worse the more retailers fall because of their aggressive tactics.
Rune_2H29/11/2019 17:46

Comment deleted

I’ve had far too much misrepresented junk from amazon warehouse you so I no longer bother.

just remember you pay £40 to £80 for those benefits.
MetallicA29/11/2019 12:50

What's the email of doom? I didn't know there was a buyer rating!

I wanna know what it is too now lol
Dannyrobbo29/11/2019 17:15

Yeah agreed amazon warehouse can be cheaper but that’s not really c …Yeah agreed amazon warehouse can be cheaper but that’s not really comparable because it’s limited and has no warranty

I wouldn't agree with you re warranty - I've been buying from Amazon Warehouse for years (years of tears, along with years of triumphs, it's a mixed bag on there).

I had a Lenovo phone (which had notorious issues, it turned out), sent back 8 months after purchase (for a few months it was in its box waiting to be opened at Xmas). Worse, when I tried to pursue a warranty claim with Lenovo before contacting Amazon, the 2 year warranty had run out!

As I said here (in July)

I always try to go for manufacturer warranty when I can - though - returning my niece's Lenovo K6 Note (bought in October, used from Xmas Day till around June when it started showing white screens) - the Lenovo website said "out of warranty"!! Considering these phones have 24 months' warranty, that is not good.

Amazon happily took it back and refunded me in full. If it was bought from ebay I'd be stuck with it.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 30th Nov
louiselouise30/11/2019 01:40

I wouldn't agree with you re warranty - I've been buying from Amazon …I wouldn't agree with you re warranty - I've been buying from Amazon Warehouse for years (years of tears, along with years of triumphs, it's a mixed bag on there).I had a Lenovo phone (which had notorious issues, it turned out), sent back 8 months after purchase (for a few months it was in its box waiting to be opened at Xmas). Worse, when I tried to pursue a warranty claim with Lenovo before contacting Amazon, the 2 year warranty had run out!As I said here (in July)I always try to go for manufacturer warranty when I can - though - returning my niece's Lenovo K6 Note (bought in October, used from Xmas Day till around June when it started showing white screens) - the Lenovo website said "out of warranty"!! Considering these phones have 24 months' warranty, that is not good.Amazon happily took it back and refunded me in full. If it was bought from ebay I'd be stuck with it.

In my opinion that’s part of the problem though and it’s hardly warranty. Great you get your money back on their terms but there’s never an option to repair or replace they won’t discount a replacement etc.

I'm not saying you can’t get decent stuff off there and the 20% off days make it worthwhile to gamble but I’ve been stung too many times now so I don’t bother. I bought a hive maybe two years ago on a deal, it lasted less than a month and after doing some wiring mods etc I was disappointed they had no offer of replacement and the used product was then almost the price of a new one. Sure I got my money back without a fight but it wasn’t really a decent service.
Dannyrobbo30/11/2019 08:22

In my opinion that’s part of the problem though and it’s hardly warranty. …In my opinion that’s part of the problem though and it’s hardly warranty. Great you get your money back on their terms but there’s never an option to repair or replace they won’t discount a replacement etc.I'm not saying you can’t get decent stuff off there and the 20% off days make it worthwhile to gamble but I’ve been stung too many times now so I don’t bother. I bought a hive maybe two years ago on a deal, it lasted less than a month and after doing some wiring mods etc I was disappointed they had no offer of replacement and the used product was then almost the price of a new one. Sure I got my money back without a fight but it wasn’t really a decent service.

You don't get offered a replacement with Amazon Warehouse. They're limited stock and used goods, by definition, it's just how it is.

If you can accept its foibles and you're aware there'll be disappointments and hassle at times, it's great.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 30th Nov
With regards being blacklisted by Amazon for too many returns, I suspect that a lot of people purposely incorrectly classify the return as faulty or supplier error when in fact they have changed their mind about the product (for whatever reason). In this way, they pass the return shipping costs to Amazon but fail to realise the long term implications of this approach until it's too late.
louiselouise30/11/2019 10:58

You don't get offered a replacement with Amazon Warehouse. They're limited …You don't get offered a replacement with Amazon Warehouse. They're limited stock and used goods, by definition, it's just how it is. If you can accept its foibles and you're aware there'll be disappointments and hassle at times, it's great.

yeah I know you don’t even if they have stock they won’t replace, that’s why I said you are given no warranty
A little bit off-topic but it goes to show the over-arching ethos at Amazon a company reputed to be worth $300,000,000,000

revealnews.org/art…es/
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions