Amazon - No more easy returns?

Found 18th Nov 2017
Have Amazon stopped offering easy returns? I have always found it easy to return with them offering Collect + label.

But yesterday I only had the option to pay for the return myself and they will refund up to £4.75 postage. But only "if it is their fault"

It was only a keyboard I was returning £15 and it made me think "Do I want the hassle". Which of course must be what they want

Anybody else had this? Is this something they are trying or a permanent change? I hope this is not permanent. It might be an excuse to shop elsewhere as easy returns make Amazon a first choice even though they are not necessarily the cheapest.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
18 Comments

it often depends why are you returning the item
if faulty its usually free, if you changed your mind because reasons you gonna have to deal with it

Original Poster

It was faulty but they normally offer the collect + option before they even know the reason. They will deduct the postage from the refund if it is because you changed your mind. This is the other way around and I haven't seen this before

I sent something back for free last week no problem

paul5551 h, 30 m ago

It was faulty but they normally offer the collect + option before they …It was faulty but they normally offer the collect + option before they even know the reason. They will deduct the postage from the refund if it is because you changed your mind. This is the other way around and I haven't seen this before

is it amazon or another seller? could you paste the link to the exact item you purchased?
Edited by: "mattsk" 18th Nov 2017

I use a different account now to order stuff if I think I will return it. Amazon do not like loads of returns on the account - obviously it costs them money. They will send you a gentle email saying you are returning a lot of things and to give them feedback. Once this happens be really careful because they will just ban your account. Look at this article:

theguardian.com/mon…nce

cossy339 m ago

I use a different account now to order stuff if I think I will return it. …I use a different account now to order stuff if I think I will return it. Amazon do not like loads of returns on the account - obviously it costs them money. They will send you a gentle email saying you are returning a lot of things and to give them feedback. Once this happens be really careful because they will just ban your account. Look at this article:https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/banned-by-amazon-returning-faulty-goods-blocked-credit-balance

I've returned a lot of items over several years and never had this email.

DexMorgan10 m ago

I've returned a lot of items over several years and never had this email.

Depends, on the ratio I guess. If you're only returning 1 in 10 items, that shouldn't be a problem. My ratio was far higher than that.

cossy32 h, 6 m ago

I use a different account now to order stuff if I think I will return it. …I use a different account now to order stuff if I think I will return it. Amazon do not like loads of returns on the account - obviously it costs them money. They will send you a gentle email saying you are returning a lot of things and to give them feedback. Once this happens be really careful because they will just ban your account. Look at this article:https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/mar/18/banned-by-amazon-returning-faulty-goods-blocked-credit-balance

They'll know you use different accounts... When accounts are flagged it will also look to match other accounts that either match name, contact details, billing / shipping addresses etc.

cossy31 h, 59 m ago

Depends, on the ratio I guess. If you're only returning 1 in 10 items, …Depends, on the ratio I guess. If you're only returning 1 in 10 items, that shouldn't be a problem. My ratio was far higher than that.

In that case you deserve it. It doesn't say "trial" on the items you buy does it?

Misslovely2 h, 58 m ago

In that case you deserve it. It doesn't say "trial" on the items you buy …In that case you deserve it. It doesn't say "trial" on the items you buy does it?

Yawn

ipswich783 h, 43 m ago

They'll know you use different accounts... When accounts are flagged it …They'll know you use different accounts... When accounts are flagged it will also look to match other accounts that either match name, contact details, billing / shipping addresses etc.

True but if you use a different account after being flagged then you won't be flagged again unless you do the same sort of thing

Misslovely3 h, 1 m ago

In that case you deserve it. It doesn't say "trial" on the items you buy …In that case you deserve it. It doesn't say "trial" on the items you buy does it?

You should get your facts straight before casting judgment. You know nothing about my affairs other than a few sentences.

I don't return much stuff, but when I do in finding they are giving me incredibly inconvenient return methods. Like a five mile walk away to some shop I've never heard of, with items too heavy to carry. Instead of a trip across the road to the post office, or collect+ a few streets away.

Last time I paid the return postage myself and got them to refund it. But had to agree it before hand, because the postage was above the maximum they say they will refund.

I've always easily returned items and I've always insisted that they are collected from my house.

Last return was about 2 weeks ago as it was left outside by the delivery guy and was ruined by the rain, no idea why he didn't leave it in the porch as per my instructions..

Wouldn't surprise me if things change with Amazon sooner or later though, it's way too easy to get refunds, partial refunds or items for free if listed wrong. It must cost them a fortune.

All to do with size an weight

I sent one thing back last week that was free but few weeks before I had to pay

Original Poster

mattsk18th Nov

is it amazon or another seller? could you paste the link to the exact item …is it amazon or another seller? could you paste the link to the exact item you purchased?

Sorry for the late response. It was a Hivenets keyboard. Sold by Amazon EU Sarl

paul5552 h, 36 m ago

Sorry for the late response. It was a Hivenets keyboard. Sold by Amazon EU …Sorry for the late response. It was a Hivenets keyboard. Sold by Amazon EU Sarl

as I have said earlier. if you are returning it due to change of mind, you may need to pay cost of postage, if its faulty or somthing due to amazon. it should be free

Original Poster

It was faulty. I have said that in post 3. Normally a label for Collect + would be provided. This is the first time I have had to pay myself and (try to) reclaim the postage.

Even so even change of mind has historically been free with Amazon (when bought from Amazon direct). That serves as a big incentive to use them over other stores. I know they don't have to do this and why should they?

Recently they have provided a Collect + label and charged the postage out of the refund

I was interested in whether a change of policy has happened to make customers sort their own return or if it was just me. Seems it is just me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions