Amazon not refunding me despite receiving return

Posted 21st Dec 2019Edited by:"entourage94"
Hi all,

I’ve been an amazon prime member for a very very long time but am baffled with the situation I’m facing and could really do with some advice.

Towards the start of December I purchased some 3rd gen AirPods from Amazon warehouse.

Upon trying, I didn’t like them so sent them for return. On amazon’s return options, there was no option for prepaid label and I had to send myself and then claim back.

So I sent the item back with Royal Mail special delivery on 3rd December. Item was received at the warehouse the next day (4th December).

Since, I haven’t been refunded. Today I chased up the issue on live chat and am appalled at the response.

I was put through to some Indian call centre who are absolutely useless. The customer service assistant asked me to send the receipt so I did. He then said to me the item hasn’t been received at the returns centre. I said to him the item has been signed for so this isn’t my problem. Clearly it’s been misplaced at the returns centre.

Anyways, got absolutely nowhere. He kept saying to take it up with Royal Mail which makes no sense as the TRACKING SHOWS DELIVERED so I have no case there with Royal Mail.

I then asked to be transferred to a manager who was even worse. Again, some Indian chap just repeating pre-typed responses.

I was shocked so I then rang instead. The lady on the phone was a little more helpful and said she would investigate and email me back in 24 hours. I just received a reply from an Indian chap yet again telling me to take it up with the courier.

Can someone please tell me what are my rights here? I can’t believe how poor this customer service is. The Indian call centres can’t understand the fact that it’s been delivered and signed for by Amazon. How is this not their responsibility?

I really want to speak to someone who is a native English speaker but don’t know how to get through to an English office when it comes to Amazon.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE - 23/12/19

Thank you everyone, I'm overwhelmed with the number of responses. I eventually got through to a UK rep who said she would investigate as she was confused why the indian call reps were being so difficult.

Anyways, she got back to me a few hours later on call and told me that Amazon has a new policy where they cannot issue you a refund if the returns centre has not scanned the item, regardless of whether or not the customer has proof of postage and signature. I told her that this was very unfair on me as a prime member as it could take them months to find the parcel and she said 'unfortunately my hands are tied'.

Well, it's confirmed. Now that Amazon has driven nearly all other competitors out of the market, customer service isn't there concern anymore.

I'll wait til next week before sending emails through to the addresses provided by you all. Appreciate everyone's help. I'll update the thread to update the outcome.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Arto21/12/2019 20:11

Go into your bank on Monday morning and say it’s a payment you don’t rec …Go into your bank on Monday morning and say it’s a payment you don’t recognise and want it reporting as fraud

That is ridiculous advice...
Arto21/12/2019 20:14

It might be the only way to get his money back so how is it ridiculous?

because its fraud, and an easily traceable one at that. What a plank.
Amazon have proof he ordered it and proof it was delivered.
Honestly I am gobsmacked at how little sense some people have.

Are you actually serious?... Lie to the bank and say you don’t recognise the transaction... they can see the IP address the payment was made from, the location, the order details when doing their fraud checks

...so yeah, absolutely ridiculous. The OP will get the money back off Royal Mail, as Amazon have said they haven’t received it...
55 Comments
My experience is that it sometimes takes over a week after the warehouse gets it to get the refund. Catch them on chat to sort this out.
bozo00721/12/2019 19:49

My experience is that it sometimes takes over a week after the warehouse …My experience is that it sometimes takes over a week after the warehouse gets it to get the refund. Catch them on chat to sort this out.

It’s been 3 weeks since the item was returned. I have been on
39461237-0RB9t.jpg
chat, email and call and I get the same response each time. Take it up with the courier even though the item had been refunded and shows as returned on Royal Mail.
When you get the automated email saying 'thank you for your time, did we resolve it' click on 'No'. You often then get the chance to get connected via phone to somebody and I often find these are more likely/able to assist (either UK/USA based)
Use the Jeff CEO email
Maybe try contacting your bank or credit card company explain whats happened and your getting no where with amazon and they might force a refund?
dgurr@amazon.com email your situation to this email. A lot of folks have had success through it.
Why don’t you do as they say and contact Royal Mail? If they are saying that they haven’t received it, then it is you who would need to speak to the courier like they say. It would be the same in reverse, and it isn’t unusual that you get confirmation that something has been delivered and signed for but it wasn’t yourself...

I would just do as they say, and even forward the Amazon email to Royal Mail stating that they haven’t received it.
Go into your bank on Monday morning and say it’s a payment you don’t recognise and want it reporting as fraud
Arto21/12/2019 20:11

Go into your bank on Monday morning and say it’s a payment you don’t rec …Go into your bank on Monday morning and say it’s a payment you don’t recognise and want it reporting as fraud

Speak to Royal Mail - they can confirm gps location of where item was scanned - that may be useful
JohnnyRoller21/12/2019 20:13

JohnnyRoller21/12/2019 20:08

Why don’t you do as they say and contact Royal Mail? If they are saying t …Why don’t you do as they say and contact Royal Mail? If they are saying that they haven’t received it, then it is you who would need to speak to the courier like they say. It would be the same in reverse, and it isn’t unusual that you get confirmation that something has been delivered and signed for but it wasn’t yourself...I would just do as they say, and even forward the Amazon email to Royal Mail stating that they haven’t received it.

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Amazon isn’t an individual it’s a multi billon dollar company. Royal Mail can sometimes deliver to a wrong individual yes, but not a corporation who receive tens of thousands of returns each day.

Amazon Returns fail to acknowledge they’ve received it and fail to even investigate the matter internally which is frustrating.

The issue at hand is that it’s an Indian call centre with people who clearly don’t care about their jobs. Some of the replies I’ve received clearly tells me they don’t know what they’re doing.

One replied they couldn’t track the item. Want to know why? They mistaked the Y in the tracking receipt with a V. This is shocking!!

Are you actually serious?... Lie to the bank and say you don’t recognise the transaction... they can see the IP address the payment was made from, the location, the order details when doing their fraud checks

...so yeah, absolutely ridiculous. The OP will get the money back off Royal Mail, as Amazon have said they haven’t received it...

Thank you but this opens a whole can of worms. Primarily because I actually did order the item. I don’t want to be compensated if it means I end up with a criminal record for lying
Try putting a case on resolver
entourage9421/12/2019 20:15

Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Amazon isn’t an individual it’s a multi …Sorry but I respectfully disagree. Amazon isn’t an individual it’s a multi billon dollar company. Royal Mail can sometimes deliver to a wrong individual yes, but not a corporation who receive tens of thousands of returns each day. Amazon Returns fail to acknowledge they’ve received it and fail to even investigate the matter internally which is frustrating.The issue at hand is that it’s an Indian call centre with people who clearly don’t care about their jobs. Some of the replies I’ve received clearly tells me they don’t know what they’re doing. One replied they couldn’t track the item. Want to know why? They mistaked the Y in the tracking receipt with a V. This is shocking!!

This is all fine, however this isn’t a principle thing. You want your money back, Amazon have said they haven’t received it. You would’ve/should’ve paid for the cover for the value of the product. Royal Mail ultimately have to refund you... Yes you could argue the toss with Amazon, however it is a time consuming situation which you have already wasted enough time on.
JumpMan198021/12/2019 20:13

Speak to Royal Mail - they can confirm gps location of where item was …Speak to Royal Mail - they can confirm gps location of where item was scanned - that may be useful

Thanks
JumpMan198021/12/2019 20:13

Speak to Royal Mail - they can confirm gps location of where item was …Speak to Royal Mail - they can confirm gps location of where item was scanned - that may be useful

Thanks. I really don’t want to have to do that because again, it’s been delivered from Royal Mail’s deliver office by the amazon returns centre in Scotland.

I have my grievances with Royal Mail but in this instance they’ve done their job to a good standard.

My issue is that Amazon won’t even investigate the prospect of it being lost in their huge return centre. This isn’t right.

I’ve had to chase returns in the past and each time it’s been dealt with appropriately.

I’m Asian myself so I have nothing against Indians but they clearly haven’t received the right level of training to do their job.

Half their responses are just automated replies.

Amazon needs to fix this otherwise they will lose a lot of business.

Before shelling out billions on new amazon series, they need to fix their customer service training!!
JohnnyRoller21/12/2019 20:20

This is all fine, however this isn’t a principle thing. You want your m …This is all fine, however this isn’t a principle thing. You want your money back, Amazon have said they haven’t received it. You would’ve/should’ve paid for the cover for the value of the product. Royal Mail ultimately have to refund you... Yes you could argue the toss with Amazon, however it is a time consuming situation which you have already wasted enough time on.

Yes I’ve paid for the insurance. But, do you really think Royal Mail are going to cough up for an item which shows as delivered? You don’t think they’ll ask if amazon has investigated the issue internally?

because its fraud, and an easily traceable one at that. What a plank.
Amazon have proof he ordered it and proof it was delivered.
Honestly I am gobsmacked at how little sense some people have.
entourage9421/12/2019 20:23

Yes I’ve paid for the insurance. But, do you really think Royal Mail are g …Yes I’ve paid for the insurance. But, do you really think Royal Mail are going to cough up for an item which shows as delivered? You don’t think they’ll ask if amazon has investigated the issue internally?

They will investigate from their end, but ultimately yes they will have to refund the value of the goods. That is how it works

They can’t make you argue with Amazon, the scenario is simple... You sent an item using their service, they have a system which shows delivery of the item. The recipient is saying they haven’t received it, you can either argue with Amazon saying they have received it (which is what you’ve done) or you can claim through Royal Mail (based on Amazon saying they haven’t received it).
Resolver defo x
JohnnyRoller21/12/2019 20:27

They will investigate from their end, but ultimately yes they will have to …They will investigate from their end, but ultimately yes they will have to refund the value of the goods. That is how it worksThey can’t make you argue with Amazon, the scenario is simple... You sent an item using their service, they have a system which shows delivery of the item. The recipient is saying they haven’t received it, you can either argue with Amazon saying they have received it (which is what you’ve done) or you can claim through Royal Mail (based on Amazon saying they haven’t received it).

Ok fair point. I didn’t realise that’s how it worked. I just think from an insurer’s perspective, they do long investigation before paying up. Something that will take months.

I’m hoping to get this resolved over the next few days because more than likely it is an amazon problem which they’ve resolved in the past when returns have gone missing. The issue this time is that I can’t get through to someone who speaks native English.

Appreciate you raising a valid point. I will take that on board if I can’t find a solution with Amazon.
Royal Mail are going to say it has been delivered and to take this up with amazon. Royal Mail have obtained a signature so as far as they are concerned they have delivered successfully. This is absolutely shocking from Amazon and I think you must email ceo. I hope this gets resolved for you.
Email addresses to write to:

ecr-replies@amazon.co.uk
managingdirector@amazon.co.uk (or as Will suggested dgurr@amazon.com)
Copy those addresses into your email and it should get sorted out.
amandaThedemanda21/12/2019 20:41

Royal Mail are going to say it has been delivered and to take this up with …Royal Mail are going to say it has been delivered and to take this up with amazon. Royal Mail have obtained a signature so as far as they are concerned they have delivered successfully. This is absolutely shocking from Amazon and I think you must email ceo. I hope this gets resolved for you.

Just because it says it is delivered, doesn’t mean it was “delivered” correctly. Obviously it is very likely Amazon who are at fault, however that isn’t guaranteed to be the case. The OP has argued with Amazon, and they have repeatedly stated they haven’t got it. That leaves the OP with only one option, to claim with Royal Mail that the recipient states they haven’t received it. They can investigate, which if they come back and say it was definitely signed for at the correct address, then the OP has done what Amazon has asked. They can then have a solid scenario where Amazon will then have to refund...
Do as stated above.
Fill out email and click No. Did not resolve my issue.
Do it Monday after 9.00am and select call back, put in your numbers.
Then you will get a call from the Irish call centre.
Works for me every time.
I feel for you op, I had a recent experience with Amazon and with the Indian call centre that went to nowhere even after giving proof. Btw I think the UK call centres pick up during Monday to Friday 9-5.
Edited by: "MR1123" 21st Dec 2019

Why don’t you do as they say and contact Royal Mail? If they are saying t …Why don’t you do as they say and contact Royal Mail? If they are saying that they haven’t received it, then it is you who would need to speak to the courier like they say. It would be the same in reverse, and it isn’t unusual that you get confirmation that something has been delivered and signed for but it wasn’t yourself...I would just do as they say, and even forward the Amazon email to Royal Mail stating that they haven’t received it.

The courier company won't do anything here. It will just be waste of time and effort. Item delivered and signature/name can be seen. What else is expected from a courier?
It's only for amazon to sort this out.
doorswitch21/12/2019 21:21

The courier company won't do anything here. It will just be waste of time …The courier company won't do anything here. It will just be waste of time and effort. Item delivered and signature/name can be seen. What else is expected from a courier?It's only for amazon to sort this out.

Yeah the same as me supposedly signing for an Amazon delivery that never arrived, or a Hermes delivery supposedly left on my porch... which funnily enough I don’t have... If you honestly believe nothing can be done because the courier says “delivered”, then more fool you. If that was the case a driver could just self sign a scribble and pocket a bunch of parcels...
As there was no prepaid label did you include hte order number or something so they could link it back to your order?

Royal mail Will not do anything, other than check the system and confirm it has been signed for what else do you expect them too say. Oh yes it's been signed for but someone has forged the signature. If that is the case then Amazon needs too claim this not the sender as he doesn't know this it's the receiver.
MynameisM21/12/2019 21:35

Royal mail Will not do anything, other than check the system and confirm …Royal mail Will not do anything, other than check the system and confirm it has been signed for what else do you expect them too say. Oh yes it's been signed for but someone has forged the signature. If that is the case then Amazon needs too claim this not the sender as he doesn't know this it's the receiver.

The sender has to make the claim... The same if you order something that says delivered to you but wasn’t, it would be the seller that has to make the claim with the courier. You clearly don’t have a clue how these things work.
Amazon will refund this when you catch the right person try another time maybe know at weekend sometime it's the technical team from within the UK who will pick the call up. I really think it is just the issue that the staff in India are unable too understand the fact that. The item has been returned and they have proof as I am sure op has sent the tracking information they probably don't even know how too check the royal mail we website too see if it's delivered. And are just checking there own internal system which possibly hasn't been logged or updated correctly at this time they are immensiley busy.
JohnnyRoller21/12/2019 21:39

The sender has to make the claim... The same if you order something that …The sender has to make the claim... The same if you order something that says delivered to you but wasn’t, it would be the seller that has to make the claim with the courier. You clearly don’t have a clue how these things work.

They will have too but how can sender prove item hasn't been delivered unless the receiver is involved aswell.
entourage9421/12/2019 20:37

Ok fair point. I didn’t realise that’s how it worked. I just think from an …Ok fair point. I didn’t realise that’s how it worked. I just think from an insurer’s perspective, they do long investigation before paying up. Something that will take months. I’m hoping to get this resolved over the next few days because more than likely it is an amazon problem which they’ve resolved in the past when returns have gone missing. The issue this time is that I can’t get through to someone who speaks native English. Appreciate you raising a valid point. I will take that on board if I can’t find a solution with Amazon.

@JohnnyRoller has given you the correct advice here. If Amazon had received it, it would have been scanned the moment it arrived (that’s what the barcode is for that you include in your return) and the return is logged. (Unless your return was missed of course)

As you paid for the return, you are responsible for it so you do have to contact Royal Mail and wait for them to investigate this. You are the customer of Royal Mail so Amazon cannot investigate this for you. Once you hear back from Royal Mail (and they have proof it was delivered) take this proof to Amazon who will then have to do their own investigation. The signature isn’t really confirmation of delivery as it can easily be faked.

You can try emailing the CEO of Amazon as mentioned above, but unless you have proof it is Amazon’s fault, they are unlikely to budge their position without proof of your claim. They may do something as a gesture of goodwill maybe but don’t bank on it being guaranteed.

I’d contact Royal Mail in the meantime while you wait to hear from Amazon. They may provide proof sooner than you think that you can give to Amazon.
MynameisM21/12/2019 21:43

They will have too but how can sender prove item hasn't been delivered …They will have too but how can sender prove item hasn't been delivered unless the receiver is involved aswell.

It’s not like the courier gives the recipient a call and asks them politely They have tracking systems where the parcel was signed for. The courier does internal checks, without any contact with the recipient. Ultimately they still can’t prove that the recipient received the item... these are then a mark against the driver. If they appear too often, then you can only guess what happens next...
entourage9421/12/2019 20:23

Yes I’ve paid for the insurance. But, do you really think Royal Mail are g …Yes I’ve paid for the insurance. But, do you really think Royal Mail are going to cough up for an item which shows as delivered? You don’t think they’ll ask if amazon has investigated the issue internally?

Your summary indicates you are stuck between a courier that states delivered and a receipient that persistently states not received. It maybe best to step back and let these two organisations argue amongst themselves via issuing LBA to both companies. If there is no acceptable response from either company, satisfy yourself that the LBA will meet pre-action conduct expectations then issue MCOL against both companies.

You purchased from Amazon Warehouse, so the merchant should be Amazon itself not a 3rd party = excellent.
Do you still have the receipt for payment of the RM SD service and the separate tracking reference ticket/notification? Yes = also excellent.
Go to the order section of your Amazon account. Look at the invoice for the air pods order. Note the registered name of the company that sold the item, which is hopefully Amazon EU S.à r.l., UK Branch.
Compile 4-liner 7day LBA and send to reg offices of both Amazon EU S.à r.l., UK Branch and RM (likely at EC4Y 0HQ but check) and let both companies argue amongst themselves for a few days, or even 7 days. The 4-liner LBA may be similar to:
L1 = Re Amazon order xxxxxxxxxxxx for << airpod description >> at << £xxx >>
L2 = The ordered item as above was returned for refund to << return name & address >> via RM SD service ref VExxxxxxxxxGB and receipted 04 December 2019 (see attached service purchase receipt, tracking reference ticket and signed receipt confirmation).
L3 = Despite the signed receipt, the recipient persistently claims in numerous communications not to have received the item.
L4 = Unless I receive confirmation of intention to refund by << next postal collection + 7 days >> I shall consider initiating recovery action against both parties.
Regards

Do not send the LBAs via a signed-for service; send each by standard 1st class service and retain the two postage payment receipts / proofs of posting (reasoning: zero-value letters are best served via Interpretation Act 1978 as that carries more credibility than any RM signed service, and RM may otherwise claim a signed-for item was not received... ).

If you want to be particularly obnoxious to Amazon you could also hit it with an SAR. This should result in you receiving a few gigabytes of generally disinteresting data at no charge to you, but it should also include all documented comms about the claimed non-return.
Amazon has a semi-automated system for receiving quasi-SARs at amazon.co.uk/gp/…BUW but as you will be "additionally and specifically" requesting comms records you will be submitting your formal SAR via some other route. Note Amazon's data controller may be located outside UK so you may need to clarify applicability of SAR and / or an appropriate recipient, either eu-privacy @ amazon co uk or for maximum hassle you may be able to send via quaint paper to an appropriate and credible UK Amazon address that you research. at your leisure
ico.org.uk/you…st/

Two considerations:
Don't be too surprised if after receiving the LBA Amazon suddenly finds your parcel, but when your parcel is opened Amazon will claim it does not contain airpods; it will be found to contain used toilet paper so not eligible for refund.
Also don't be too surprised if Amazon closes your account shortly after all this is resolved.

moneyclaim.gov.uk/web…ome
justice.gov.uk/cou…uct
deleted210456821/12/2019 21:15

Comment deleted

Mainly delivery issues to be fair.
In 2 years they missed over 30 next day Prime deliveries.
They kept stating no one in etc.
Which was a lie, My security cameras prove this.
Due to some medical issues my house is occupied 24/7 365 days a year.
So I got very familiar with their system.
Call and complain, If you get the outcome you require all is good.
If unhelpful call again, I’m very persistent.
One time I filled out the feedback and was not happy so clicked not resolved and then got a call back from Ireland.
Every time since its work the same.
I sent something back beginning of December for the first time ro Amazon and got credit straight away the same day they received the parcel I didn't have it tracked .
So you definitely need to cancel your payment now and then take it from there. I would email Amazon again with copy of the tracking and tell them you have cancelled payment
Did you add to the return your order details so they can identify your item?
Amazon have always been pretty much instant refunds for me, I cannot fault them on that side of things.
Edited by: "choccie32" 21st Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions