Amazon now using "Instalments by Barclays" - does this affect credit score?

Posted 5th Nov 2021
So I've previously used the very helpful "pay in (x) monthly instalments" that Amazon had, and it didn't affect credit score - but now they seem to have replaced it with this new Barclays system.

It being an actual financial organisation, I presume the use of it is fully credit scored as opposed to using something like Klarna's "pay in 3 months" sort of deal?
Community Updates
New Comment

16 Comments

sorted by
  1. Avatar
    UEFI05/11/2021 10:21

they were 0% now via barclays they all have interest rates.

The screen shot right before your comment shows different. (edited)
  2. Avatar
    cecilmcroberts05/11/2021 10:50

The screen shot right before your comment shows different.

Ahh lol, should have gone to specsavers
  3. Avatar
    I can't find any products but may be check the T&Cs? It should be pretty clear if they check things like credit score and if it'll affect your score.
  4. Avatar
    Gutted they have changed ,must have had issues with people not paying
  5. Avatar
    X payments are still available on certain things (not Barclays ones) but seems be getting fewer and fewer
  6. Avatar
    they were 0% now via barclays they all have interest rates.
  7. Avatar
    I bought a Firestick 4K Max and noticed it had the normal Amazon installments option, as did the 1TB SN850 Nvme. The 2TB SN850 offers the Barclays option. I suspect it's added on a range of things that weren't under the Amazon option, rather than replacing it. The Barclays thing is a bit pointless IMO, may as well just take out a new CC with introductory rate and you're not limited to using it on Amazon. (edited)
  8. Avatar
    Anonymous User
    The Barclays 0% offer is only until a certain date - if you refresh the page as well, the offer will switch for anything between 3 and 12 months interest free at the moment. Still 10.9% is cheaper than most payment plans or cards.

And I'm still seeing plenty of Amazon interest free payment options.
  9. Avatar
    Could be a good thing on credit file. If you pay on time that is, lenders like to see borrowing and repayment data
  10. Avatar
    I used the Barclays one this morning not sure how it works exactly but it just went straight through as quick as a normal prime purchase, definitely not enough time to do a credit check, so I'm guessing it's pre approved was interest free too. (edited)
  11. Avatar
    Anonymous User
    Seany7505/11/2021 11:09

I used the Barclays one this morning not sure how it works exactly but it …I used the Barclays one this morning not sure how it works exactly but it just went straight through as quick as a normal prime purchase, definitely not enough time to do a credit check, so I'm guessing it's pre approved was interest free too.

You’re aware credit checks take seconds now aren’t you. And that you’ve just applied for credit and that this will have a hard search on your file??

Your ‘not sure how it works’ is incredible.

And people wonder if finance should be taught in schools or not!
  12. Avatar
    deleted234448005/11/2021 11:25

You’re aware credit checks take seconds now aren’t you. And that you’ve jus …You’re aware credit checks take seconds now aren’t you. And that you’ve just applied for credit and that this will have a hard search on your file??Your ‘not sure how it works’ is incredible. And people wonder if finance should be taught in schools or not!

I monitor my credit file regularly so yes I'm aware how it works just not sure how this was so quick, but previous credit checks I've had have taken around 30 seconds or so this was instant as soon as I clicked order it went through which seemed a bit odd as I've never seen one go through that quickly, and I'm aware it will be on my credit file.
  13. Avatar
    They do still have the interest-free option without doing the Barclays thing on some products. It was only ever on a relatively limited selection.
  14. Avatar
    There are two types of instalments at amazon, the Barclays one and one Amazon operates themselves, but the Amazon one is only on some products and not available to all customers. The Barclays one is in addition to the Amazon one, not instead of, and is available on everything over £100 and to all customers. The Barclays one does need a credit check but is interest free on everything at the moment.
  15. Avatar
    Do they take your first installment straight away or every month
Top Merchants