Amazon - Power Adapters sold with Select Fire Tablets - recall

SuperEd
I know loads of you picked these up in the sales!

The following notice has been issued by the retailer:

Voluntary Recall and Exchange Programme for Power Adapters sold with Select Fire Tablets in the United Kingdom and Ireland

We have determined that, in rare cases, when the power adapter included with the UK Fire 7” and UK Fire Kids Edition 7” tablet is pulled from the wall socket, the adapter assembly may detach and create a risk of electrical shock. Affected adapters were sold only in the United Kingdom and Ireland from September 2015.

Customer safety is our top priority, and we are proactively offering to replace these power adapters with a new adapter, free of charge. We encourage customers to exchange their original power adapters using the process below.

Please discontinue use of your original adapter. Until you receive a replacement adapter, you can use the included USB cable connected to a computer or another compatible adapter to charge your tablet.

Identifying your power adapter:

https://broadcast.tslinkonline.co.uk/docimages/318004/Amazon%201.JPG

Non-affected power adapters
Power adapters sold in other countries, shipped with Fire HD and Fire HDX tablets, or displayed below are not affected and need not be exchanged.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/G/02/kindle/merch/xsite/2016/UK-Ford-4-Poweradapters._V274435736_.jpg

Exchange process
If your power adapter is affected, and you have not yet received a free replacement or claimed a credit from us, please contact Customer Service at amazon.co.uk/con…tus

Source

45 Comments

Thanks Gooner. This will disappoint people who made the purchase. But it's better than being power struck.

http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/ss142/dragon4uin/Mobile%20Uploads/anigif_enhanced-10724-1455666664-2_zps3xthc4ig.gif

Nice one. I got a Fire 8 HD delivered yesterday. Will check just incase. HOT!

As this recall was announced in March 2016 I would hope the issue doesn't affect later batches being sold now.

Surely they can't still be recalling these plugs? I had to send my one way back in March.

I can't imagine Amazon would still be sending out stock with these adapters.

Bought mine on Thursday, just checked and mine is one of the faulty batch. Shocking they've not done anything about this issue since March.

I bought 1 at the weekend and it's got the affected adapter..... you would've thought since they've known since march they would've sorted it by now

Ours are effected and only got them last week !

aparently if ot has a letter A in the bottom right corner it is safe. just spoke to amazon

I got an amazon fire on Black Friday from Argos, just checked and mines affected! J

Thanks for the info. Bought a magenta 8GB fire on black Friday from amazon themselves and it does have one of the recalled plugs with it. Nice one amazon!

Only got mine last week and it's one of he affected ones but that exchange link isn't working....anyone else having this problem?

charlottecronogue

Ours are effected and only got them last week !

Hope you are safe and not "effected"

Original Poster SuperEd

McShane1

Surely they can't still be recalling these plugs? I had to send my one … Surely they can't still be recalling these plugs? I had to send my one way back in March.I can't imagine Amazon would still be sending out stock with these adapters.

Wouldn't surprise me, was posted on the Trading Standards site a few days back so obviously still concerned tradingstandards.uk/con…004 (24th Nov 2016)

Well worth double checking

Yes they are still selling them. Bought 2 last month And they need replaced

Original Poster SuperEd

debbiemcguire89

Only got mine last week and it's one of he affected ones but that … Only got mine last week and it's one of he affected ones but that exchange link isn't working....anyone else having this problem?

Drop an email or call contact us on Amazon site and they'll give a credit or send a new one

If your power adapter is affected, and you have not yet received a free replacement or claimed a credit from us, please contact Customer Service at amazon.co.uk/con…tus
Edited by: "goonertillidie" 29th Nov 2016

Original Poster SuperEd

Claremcc89

Yes they are still selling them. Bought 2 last month And they need … Yes they are still selling them. Bought 2 last month And they need replaced

WOW

Actually it's not affected. Important detail: if your plug matches the code above BUT has a capital A printed on the bottom right corner, it is NOT affected.

goonertillidie

Drop an email or call contact us on Amazon site and they'll give a credit … Drop an email or call contact us on Amazon site and they'll give a credit or send a new one

Just done that there thanks didn't think about it at first but all done now
Edited by: "debbiemcguire89" 29th Nov 2016

vickyandpeanut

Actually it's not affected. Important detail: if your plug matches the … Actually it's not affected. Important detail: if your plug matches the code above BUT has a capital A printed on the bottom right corner, it is NOT affected.

Ahh I see mine is the affected code but also has the capital A at the bottom,I've just emailed Amazon so will see what they say

purchased 3 last week for kids for xmas all wrapped up to i will check xmas morning and use my current kindle charger to chrge up if needed my charger was one of the effected and had to send back in march brought that kindle in the black friday sales last year to xx

I purchased 2 from argos last month and have one of the affected plugs. Who do I go to argos or amazon?

Edited by: "Tiredmummyx" 29th Nov 2016

I just bought mine last week n it's one of the affected! I have bought another 3 for gifts, I don't know Wether I should open the boxes or amazon will.auto send us replacement plugs?! X

I've just contacted amazon as I thought the 2 tablets I bought last month were affected too but apparently if there is an "A" in the bottom right corner then it's not the affected plug but the new ones which replaced the affected ones. So if the model number matches and there's an A in the bottom right corner then the plug is safe to use

Thanks for this info bought one from Argos they are replacing charger for me

the ones with an A in the bottom corner are not affected by the recallpic is shown on amazon website amazon.co.uk/Rec…031

As mentioned earlier I have the affected code but also have the A down the bottom corner I emailed Amazon and they didn't ask anything about wether or not there was an A or not they just credited my account with enough to cover the new adapter and delivery

What if you bought 2 tablets for Christmas presents and obviously don't want to open the boxes. Is the only way to check the code on the plug?

I bought one last week November 2016 and I have one of the faulty plugs sold

Mine was bought as a Xmas present for my daughter and wrapped it last night, bloody typical x

Five

I bought one last week November 2016 and I have one of the faulty plugs … I bought one last week November 2016 and I have one of the faulty plugs sold

Does your plug have a capital A in the right hand corner at the bottom if so it is NOT affected by the recall

Confirmed with Amazon via live chat. Chargers with the A in the bottom corner are the new model and is unaffected by the fault.

Strzelecki

As this recall was announced in March 2016 I would hope the issue doesn't … As this recall was announced in March 2016 I would hope the issue doesn't affect later batches being sold now.

I was about to say not again, got an email about it months ago and replacement.

Hi. Hopefully this will help somebody, I bought 2 x 8gb tablets from Amazon when they came down to 29.99. Anyway they are for my children and I didn't want to open the box so I just went into amazon and contact and sent an email saying I'd bought two and had received an email saying the adapters could be faulty and I was worried. Within the hour I had had an email back ( today) saying about the faulty adapters and that they had credited my Amazon account with £35.98 (2x £17.99 new adapters) and a link to buy new ones. I immediately did and they are being delivered tomorrow. Now that is very good customer service!

I got one out of argos yesterday and although it has the A on the right hand corner I decided to try it, and it's not working. I have tried my own charger in it and it's working with that. I would advise that you check it even if it does have an A on it. Mines will be going back tomorrow.

I just checked with Amazon, and if the adapter has the "A" in the bottom right corner it is the new model and safe to use.
"The adapter recall is for kindle fire 7 purchased in 2015, we had the recall in March and we had notified all affected customers of the same.
We have fixed the issue, it's the same model number however the safe adapter can be identified by a small A in the bottom right hand corner."

1. Buy all the kindle fires
2. Get credits for all the faulty plugs
3. ????
4. PROFIT

I have just had a live chat with Amazon.

Initial Question: Hi, I have just bought a Fire 7 for my Son for christmas & have just seen about the recall on power adaptors, How do I get a new one?
Kymloi:I also apologize for any inconvenience that the adapter recall news may have caused.
I'll ask that you check the back of your adapter at the bottom to confirm if there is a Capital 'A' present?
Me: Yes
Kymloi: Thanks. Rest assured The adapter that you have is the updated adapter which has been tested and found safe for use. You do not have the affected adapter.
Please remember as both the replacement and the affected adapter have the same model number, our safety teams had to be able to identify which is which. Your adapter has the letter A present which means it is the replacement which has been tested.

jpxdude

Nice one. I got a Fire 8 HD delivered yesterday. Will check just … Nice one. I got a Fire 8 HD delivered yesterday. Will check just incase. HOT!

Just to let you guys know, my Fire 8 HD shipped with the defective power adapter! Check your units.

Edit - mine has an A in the corner so is fine!
Edited by: "jpxdude" 29th Nov 2016

Just spoke to amazon c/s ..... model number FABK7B is safe if it has the letter A on the bottom right hand side of the plug .....so mine is fine
Edited by: "Sw33tcheeks24" 30th Nov 2016

Email from Customer Services:

I understand your concern regarding the Fire adapter.

Please be informed that the new Fire device comes along with a new version of adapter model FABK7B and it doesn't have any issues.

It can be identified by a small A in the bottom right hand corner (http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CH4CNLK).

Images and information on how to identify which power adapter came with your Fire 7” (5th Generation) tablet can be found at:
amazon.co.uk/fir…ter

If you're unable to view the A symbol in the bottom right hand corner, please contact us back so that we can assist you with a free replacement.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4482098
    2. What is there free to do in your town?2442
    3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2855
    4. Samsung Note 8813

See more discussions