Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Amazon Price Drop Refund

Posted 20th Dec 2018
I've found this useful today, so thought it maybe worth reminding everyone just incase you find it useful. Especially at this time of year when a lot of people are using amazon!

Amazon has a price drop policy. If they lower the price on something you've purchased within the past 30 days, they'll issue a credit (although you have to ask for it).

If you want to check if any of your purchases are eligible for a refund, just follow these simple steps:

1. Visit Your Account and look at all invoices from the past thirty days.

2. Click on the item names to pull up the current item description/price and compare to the price that you paid.

3. If you paid more than the current price, copy down the order number and go to the Return and Refunds Contact Form page.

4. Select Refund Inquiry as your subject, and check off the order(s) of interest. If you dont see the order in question listed, enter the order number in the Other field.

5. State in the comments that the price dropped, and that you want to be credited for the difference.

And if all this fails. Just go to online chat and tell them. They'll have a look and refund the difference.

Respect where respect is due. I personally cannot fault their customer service for whenever I've needed it. Which is more than what I can say for some other companies!
Community Updates
Top comments
I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat wouldn't let me, said it wasn't their policy to do so and was quite nasty xx
This is a completely misleading post, and most definitely is not Amazon's policy. They will do it maybe once per account (goodwill), however their policy is for you to return it at your own cost and buy at the new price.

No deal here, just incorrect information
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 20th Dec 2018
This policy has been stopped years ago, some staff do it anyway but this is rare. Most of the times they offer full refund and ask you to repurchase, this is a loophole that most staff do but it isn't official policy either.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Dec 2018
46 Comments
I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat wouldn't let me, said it wasn't their policy to do so and was quite nasty xx
Ta,
This is hit & miss there’s been times where price has decreased & Iv been told return the item for a full refund and they offer no price reduction promise
Yup they told me they'd stopped that over a year ago the last time I complained.
This policy has been stopped years ago, some staff do it anyway but this is rare. Most of the times they offer full refund and ask you to repurchase, this is a loophole that most staff do but it isn't official policy either.
Edited by: "jamie15" 20th Dec 2018
Have to actually tried this and it works?

I'm asking as just the other day asked Chat CS if they could refund the difference for an item I had bought and that had dropped in price before it was even dispatched and they told me they can't do that sort of stuff.
R0adRat1 m ago

Yup they told me they'd stopped that over a year ago the last time I …Yup they told me they'd stopped that over a year ago the last time I complained.

yes thats what i thought, like to see where op is getting this info from.
Any link for this price drop policy?
I asked last month when a duvet went down by 10 quid and they refused to give me the difference back.
This used to work but the last few times I've noticed the price drop days after I've made a purchase they've advised me to purchase the item again and then return it under the old order number. Makes no sense as ultimately costs them more money.
Last month an item I purchased dropped in price and they wouldn’t credit the difference. Had to send it back as CS advised that this was their policy, return for refund and purchase again.
melissa754 m ago

I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat …I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat wouldn't let me, said it wasn't their policy to do so and was quite nasty xx

I've found them to be rather rude at times, however not all of them, some of them are really helpful.
This hasn't worked for ages - they prefer you to reorder at the new lower price, then send your other item back for a refund.
melissa7520/12/2018 23:07

I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat …I used to do this. Last time I tried the guy that I spoke to on live chat wouldn't let me, said it wasn't their policy to do so and was quite nasty xx

I alwyas find them frustratingly polite tbh
flyingflea20/12/2018 23:11

This used to work but the last few times I've noticed the price drop days …This used to work but the last few times I've noticed the price drop days after I've made a purchase they've advised me to purchase the item again and then return it under the old order number. Makes no sense as ultimately costs them more money.

I had this exact argument with the lady on the phone.....she just wouldn't accept the logic that it was costing me money sending it back and them money having to deal with the return and send a new one out to me.
melissa758 m ago

Should have emailed instead
jonesy1726 m ago

I asked last month when a duvet went down by 10 quid and they refused to …I asked last month when a duvet went down by 10 quid and they refused to give me the difference back.

I always buy down duvets, they're a lot warmer than the polyester ones!!
mayzi3 m ago

I alwyas find them frustratingly polite tbh

Yeah, I normally find them very pleasant, but he was quite annoyed with me, said I shouldn't have received a refund, I was worried that I'd got the previous colleague in trouble. Had a horrendous witch from tesco the other week when I rang them up to complain, she was hideous!
Have tried this a few times in the last year and each time got rejected. Fill refund offered and had to repurchase at cheaper price.
Every time I’ve messaged amazon about price drop thay won’t give me money back
This is a completely misleading post, and most definitely is not Amazon's policy. They will do it maybe once per account (goodwill), however their policy is for you to return it at your own cost and buy at the new price.

No deal here, just incorrect information
Edited by: "JohnnyRoller" 20th Dec 2018
I got a £2 credit last month before Black Friday after I ordered Detroit Become Human then Argos dropped their price. Asked for a refund of the difference on chat where was told they couldn't refund but could give me credit off my next order.
I bought son a book today, looked later it had dropped by £2 so messaged.. they wouldn’t budge at all, said don’t price match, I said it’s sold by amazon so why not. He wouldn’t refund me the £2
Tried this today with the hatchimals egg box series 3 as bought 10 days ago for £24.99 AND was dropped today to £12.50 and got told they don't do it (refund the difference) or price match
So ordered again and will be returning a set
Absolutely love amazon for the fact their customer service is better than any online company returns policy superior to anyone and everything packaged beautifully and on time! The reason why I did 99% of my Xmas shopping with them
knpollard40 m ago

Absolutely love amazon for the fact their customer service is better than …Absolutely love amazon for the fact their customer service is better than any online company returns policy superior to anyone and everything packaged beautifully and on time! The reason why I did 99% of my Xmas shopping with them

Returns policy is not perfect tbh, they close accounts if you return too much. It's still pretty decent though.
R0adRat1 h, 42 m ago

I had this exact argument with the lady on the phone.....she just wouldn't …I had this exact argument with the lady on the phone.....she just wouldn't accept the logic that it was costing me money sending it back and them money having to deal with the return and send a new one out to me.

You're right of course, but it's obviously out of her control.

And remember, this is Amazon we're talking about here. It seems like it'd cost them money, but they aren't in the business of wasting money frivolously and I'd be very surprised if they hadn't done the analysis on it and proved that actually it was better to counter intuitively insist on returning and repurchasing instead of automatically refunding, as actually the number of people that do go ahead and return and re-buy makes it financially better for them.

I also seem to remember the policy change years ago and vaguely seem to remember that they improved some terms or service and got rid of the price match refunds at the same time to balance.
Looks like a copy and paste from an old posting on another website.
Bingstroller13 h, 36 m ago

Looks like a copy and paste from an old posting on another website.

Agree.
i done this a few years ago with a TV and worked fine. couple weeks ago bought a phone that dropped in price within a couple of days. tried the chat and they said that its not policy any more and to just return and reorder.
I have only ever done this once, and it was a success on that occasion even though the CS guy told me the policy had recently been ended. That was in 2009, so it's a long time since this post was accurate!
Just an update, i bought a trimmer and the price dropped a week later. (Item was in transit). They didn't do a price match but what they did was stop and cancel the shipment of the more expensive trimmer which was due to arrive the next day and they refunded me asap so i could buy again.
Depends who you get really
Tried this and Amazon were not willing to refund the difference. I had to send back the (new unopened/unused) goods for a refund and place a new order. This is a crazy waste of resources and costs Amazon money(two lots of wasted postage).
Brian_Pate23/11/2019 19:01

Tried this and Amazon were not willing to refund the difference. I had to …Tried this and Amazon were not willing to refund the difference. I had to send back the (new unopened/unused) goods for a refund and place a new order. This is a crazy waste of resources and costs Amazon money(two lots of wasted postage).

A lot has changed in the world in the last year, not only this but Amazon’s great customer service has also gone down hill.
The reason this stopped was that people started building services which would submit claims automatically - it would monitor your purchases and check the prices online, then automatically send a price drop refund request. I guess they lost too much money, so canned the whole scheme. Repurchase at the lower price and return the orignal seems to be the only option now - usually if you ask nicely they will cover the return postage!
Paid 285 for a gpu and price dropped to 273, the price went down a few hours ago and the item is still in transit, asked for the price difference refund but the guy said there was no such policy that he knew of, I understand his side but I haven’t even received the item yet, he just couldn’t refund me my £12
Mupik_09/01/2020 02:14

Paid 285 for a gpu and price dropped to 273, the price went down a few …Paid 285 for a gpu and price dropped to 273, the price went down a few hours ago and the item is still in transit, asked for the price difference refund but the guy said there was no such policy that he knew of, I understand his side but I haven’t even received the item yet, he just couldn’t refund me my £12

That's because it wasn't your £12.
Mupik_09/01/2020 02:14

Paid 285 for a gpu and price dropped to 273, the price went down a few …Paid 285 for a gpu and price dropped to 273, the price went down a few hours ago and the item is still in transit, asked for the price difference refund but the guy said there was no such policy that he knew of, I understand his side but I haven’t even received the item yet, he just couldn’t refund me my £12

Its possible to cancel the item whilst in transit, refund takes a few days to arrive though
Bought a 4K Firestick for parents 15 days ago now, popped on to chat and mentioned the price change ...was told I can return the one I bought and rebuy at the new lower charge. Still save the £15 quid I guess. Hoped they would just refund the difference but no such luck. Worth a try none the less
Just tried this as an item i ordered had has a 20% discount overnight making it 30 GBP cheaper!

They wouldn't credit because 'as they dont charge extra when the price goes up, they cant credit when the price comes down'. So they've refunded in full and i now need to re-order.

Happy, but also not very at the same time. And i KNOW that as soon as the credit appears, the damn thing will be out of stock!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants