Amazon Prime phonecall scam?

Posted 5th Sep
I know someone started a discussion about a phone call scam the other week, but I can’t remember if it was for this or another company, I did a search but can’t find it.

anyhoo, i’ve just had a phone call with an automated message that said
“we will be renewing your Amazon Prime for £79, to speak to an advisor, press one”

I’m guessing that when you press one, an advise will come on and as for your card details

I don’t even have Amazon prime.

I just wanted to put the warning out there, like I said, this could have been the warning somebody started the other week
Community Updates
Misc
26 Comments
There was quite a lot of them in that post. I mentioned the Amazon Prime one too but it wasn't a robocall. But yeah that would normally be what happens.

hotukdeals.com/dis…637
Had this a few times. I expected the "Press one" might be an expensive number too, as in £ per min.
Frankie7705/09/2020 16:27

There was quite a lot of them in that post. I mentioned the Amazon Prime …There was quite a lot of them in that post. I mentioned the Amazon Prime one too but it wasn't a robocall. But yeah that would normally be what happens.https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/be-careful-scammers-are-about-3522637

ah that’s it, I knew I’d seen it somewhere.

Maybe search function needs to be a keyword search.

For example, I searched for Amazon prime scam.
Which is what you wrote in your comment.
But because the discussion title didn’t say that, then it didn’t show up
Yes I had this 2/3 times last week. Weirdly - a week after I had set my Prime renewal to not auto renew next month. Amazon staff selling details? Who knows....

On a different note - I've now had Student Prime for 4 years and cant renew as theyve said 4 years is the max! Shame that
samspud05/09/2020 16:58

Yes I had this 2/3 times last week. Weirdly - a week after I had set my …Yes I had this 2/3 times last week. Weirdly - a week after I had set my Prime renewal to not auto renew next month. Amazon staff selling details? Who knows....On a different note - I've now had Student Prime for 4 years and cant renew as theyve said 4 years is the max! Shame that

Just cancel your prime and set up a new one (if you have an NUS/Student card still that is) - they don't check if you have used it before
This is a very common refund scam. If you press one then call will be transferred to India. Script goes something like this:

SCAMMER: "Thank you for calling Amazon, my name is David/John/Mark etc.
How may I help you today?

YOU: *Explains call*

SCAMMER: The £79 is set to auto renew on your account. Would you like to continue with the subscription or cancel it?

YOU: Cancel it

SCAMMER: *Says okay and transfers to manager*

SCAMMER MANAGER: Download TeamViewer/AnyDesk etc to control your PC. Fill out refund form. Type refund amount "£79" without pressing backspace or enter.

Then, once you type £79, the scammer will quickly type extra 00s so it will be £7900 refund instead of £79

SCAMMER MANAGER: Sign into bank and check.

Scammer asks you to write bank balance down, hides screen, inspects element to show increased balance. No money has been sent but balance looks £7900 higher.

SCAMMER MANAGER: Oh no this was all your fault now I am going to lose my job. Please send my company's money back! Go to the store and buy gift cards, transfer money with Western Union, stuff cash in a box wrapped in tin foil and post it, etc.

Kitboga is brilliant at this stuff:
Edited by: "jamie15" 5th Sep
jamie1505/09/2020 19:16

This is a very common refund scam. If you press one then call will be …This is a very common refund scam. If you press one then call will be transferred to India. Script goes something like this:SCAMMER: "Thank you for calling Amazon, my name is David/John/Mark etc.How may I help you today?YOU: *Explains call*SCAMMER: The £79 is set to auto renew on your account. Would you like to continue with the subscription or cancel it?YOU: Cancel itSCAMMER: *Says okay and transfers to manager*SCAMMER MANAGER: Download TeamViewer/AnyDesk etc to control your PC. Fill out refund form. Type refund amount "£79" without pressing backspace or enter.Then, once you type £79, the scammer will quickly type extra 00s so it will be £7900 refund instead of £79SCAMMER MANAGER: Sign into bank and check.Scammer asks you to write bank balance down, hides screen, inspects element to show increased balance. No money has been sent but balance looks £7900 higher.SCAMMER MANAGER: Oh no this was all your fault now I am going to lose my job. Please send my company's money back! Go to the store and buy gift cards, transfer money with Western Union, stuff cash in a box wrapped in tin foil and post it, etc.Kitboga is brilliant at this stuff: [Video]

damn

I guess this is the same as the “we can see you’re having troubles with your PC”
Had this call on my landline, Amazon don't have the number, no one has the number and I have no idea what it is either. Hung up and felt it was a fairly obvious scam
Mendoza05/09/2020 21:12

damn I guess this is the same as the “we can see you’re having tro …damn I guess this is the same as the “we can see you’re having troubles with your PC”

Well those scams are a lot shorter and quite differently structured, virus scams just pull up something like netstat or event viewer, say there's a problem, and flat out charge you to 'fix' the problem. Maybe your computer has been taken over by 'hackers' and they have to use 'anti-hacking tools'.

Then they ask how much money you want to lose, example of protection plans:

1 year - £149
3 year - £199
5 year - £299
Lifetime - £499
ch7leach05/09/2020 21:20

Had this call on my landline, Amazon don't have the number, no one has the …Had this call on my landline, Amazon don't have the number, no one has the number and I have no idea what it is either. Hung up and felt it was a fairly obvious scam

I had this call too ...... i handed the phone to my 8yr old hyperactive demon , she talked and talked and talked and talked then they hung up she's my secret weapon against call centres 😁
jamie1505/09/2020 21:34

Well those scams are a lot shorter and quite differently structured, virus …Well those scams are a lot shorter and quite differently structured, virus scams just pull up something like netstat or event viewer, say there's a problem, and flat out charge you to 'fix' the problem. Maybe your computer has been taken over by 'hackers' and they have to use 'anti-hacking tools'. Then they ask how much money you want to lose, example of protection plans:1 year - £1493 year - £1995 year - £299Lifetime - £499

Do you watch kitboga or jim browning then? They have been doing these investigative scam calls for years, that’s where I learned most of it all.

Edit: I just noticed you mentioned kitboga.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 5th Sep
loumar7605/09/2020 23:12

I had this call too ...... i handed the phone to my 8yr old hyperactive …I had this call too ...... i handed the phone to my 8yr old hyperactive demon , she talked and talked and talked and talked then they hung up she's my secret weapon against call centres 😁

yeah they don’t talk to kids because they don’t hold credit cards.
Frankie7705/09/2020 23:56

Do you watch kitboga or jim browning then? They have been doing these …Do you watch kitboga or jim browning then? They have been doing these investigative scam calls for years, that’s where I learned most of it all.Edit: I just noticed you mentioned kitboga.

Yes I linked to a Kitboga video above. Watch every Twitch stream
jamie1505/09/2020 23:58

Yes I linked to a Kitboga video above. Watch every Twitch stream

Yeah I was there for every stream too. Not as much these days. Feel like it’s the same old thing. It was still great entertainment over the years.
Frankie7706/09/2020 00:01

Yeah I was there for every stream too. Not as much these days. Feel like …Yeah I was there for every stream too. Not as much these days. Feel like it’s the same old thing. It was still great entertainment over the years.

Yeah I get it while I watch every stream I don't watch all of it sometimes also in background or just catch parts of it. Though if you missed Steve go back and watch it it's on YT too.
I don’t like his YouTube edits. Generally with YouTube how they are all cut up and all over the place. Preferred watching the whole stream while playing a game on my other monitor. Twitch vods are handy for that. But it’s tough keeping up with them all if you miss certain story lines.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 6th Sep
I forgot to ask, is there like a company or website that you can report the phone number that contacted you?

usually there withheld, like the “we believe you were in a car accident” (these people are so easy to wrap round your finger)
but this amazon call had a number
I don’t think there is. I know the ico deals with company cold calls but since these scams are international it’s complicated. I usually report/comment on the numbers on the “who called me” various sites. It at least gives others a heads up if they are safe or not.
Edited by: "Frankie77" 6th Sep
Frankie7706/09/2020 01:52

I don’t think there is. I know the ico deals with company cold calls but s …I don’t think there is. I know the ico deals with company cold calls but since these scams are international it’s complicated. I usually report/comment on the numbers on the “who called me” various sites. It at least gives others a heads up if they are safe or not.

I use the ‘who called me’ site, ok so I’m doing things best I can, thanks
jamie1505/09/2020 19:16

SCAMMER MANAGER: Download TeamViewer/AnyDesk etc to control your PC. Fill …SCAMMER MANAGER: Download TeamViewer/AnyDesk etc to control your PC. Fill out refund form. Type refund amount "£79" without pressing backspace or enter.Then, once you type £79, the scammer will quickly type extra 00s so it will be £7900 refund instead of £79SCAMMER MANAGER: Sign into bank and check.Scammer asks you to write bank balance down, hides screen, inspects element to show increased balance. No money has been sent but balance looks £7900 higher.

I don't understand this. You log into your bank and they get it to display an amount that isn't there?
Meathotukdeals06/09/2020 14:03

I don't understand this. You log into your bank and they get it to display …I don't understand this. You log into your bank and they get it to display an amount that isn't there?

Yeah all they do is right click on the browser to inspect element when connected to your computer (after you have logged in). They then change the balance figure when hiding your screen. It's all superficial, if you refresh the page at your end your balance will still be the same in reality.
Meathotukdeals06/09/2020 14:03

I don't understand this. You log into your bank and they get it to display …I don't understand this. You log into your bank and they get it to display an amount that isn't there?

They edit the site's code to change it. Very easy to do on any website, you can change text on websites to anything you want (only on your browser, won't change the actual website but it will just look different to you). They hide the screen while they change it to trick you.
jamie1506/09/2020 14:34

They edit the site's code to change it. Very easy to do on any website, …They edit the site's code to change it. Very easy to do on any website, you can change text on websites to anything you want (only on your browser, won't change the actual website but it will just look different to you). They hide the screen while they change it to trick you.

Do you remember the Kitboga stream where the scammer told Edna to cover her screen with a towel so she wouldn't see it?
Frankie7706/09/2020 14:09

Yeah all they do is right click on the browser to inspect element when …Yeah all they do is right click on the browser to inspect element when connected to your computer (after you have logged in). They then change the balance figure when hiding your screen. It's all superficial, if you refresh the page at your end your balance will still be the same in reality.

jamie1506/09/2020 14:34

They edit the site's code to change it. Very easy to do on any website, …They edit the site's code to change it. Very easy to do on any website, you can change text on websites to anything you want (only on your browser, won't change the actual website but it will just look different to you). They hide the screen while they change it to trick you.

Thanks. I wouldn't even trust them using Team Viewer on my PC let along log into my online banking. Way too scarey for me.
Frankie7706/09/2020 14:38

Do you remember the Kitboga stream where the scammer told Edna to cover …Do you remember the Kitboga stream where the scammer told Edna to cover her screen with a towel so she wouldn't see it?

Yes was brilliant
Meathotukdeals06/09/2020 14:40

Thanks. I wouldn't even trust them using Team Viewer on my PC let along …Thanks. I wouldn't even trust them using Team Viewer on my PC let along log into my online banking. Way too scarey for me.

Most victims don't know what TeamViewer is, they just think it is part of the refund.
Post a comment
@
    Text