Amazon Prime - Sharing benefits now only apply to 1 additional person (from 4)

Found 1st Aug 2015
I couldn't see this posted but I've just noticed that Amazon Prime benefits can now only be shared with one other adult (as opposed to four adults previously).

This change came into effect on 31 July 2015. If you remove an account, you won’t be add it back so be careful. If you already have four people sharing then it will stay that way until the membership is due for renewal as far as I can tell.

The difference is that now you can create an “Amazon Household” with 2 adults and 4 children sharing these Prime features. Features that can be shared include Prime shipping benefits, Prime Instant Video streaming, the Kindle Owner’s Lending Library, access to Prime Early Access content, and Amazon Num benefits (including discounts on nappies and other items). Here is what it says under the "Share your Prime benefits" section now:

"Because we want you to be able to share the very best of Prime, we are introducing the Amazon Household Program. With Amazon Household, in addition to sharing your access to the Prime Unlimited One-Day Delivery that you love, you and one other adult family member and four children will be able to share Prime Instant Video, Prime Early Access, and the Kindle Owners' Lending Library. Additionally, Prime members with Amazon Family can share their 20% nappies subscriptions. Create a family library to share books, apps, and games with your Household members across all of their Amazon devices and media apps. Both Household adults can manage parental controls with Amazon FreeTime for children in the Amazon Household. Create your Amazon Households to share your Prime benefits here"
Community Updates
28 Comments

I saw something about Amazon household last month when I created a new account for a Prime trial. At that time though, you could still invite up to 4 people to share Prime - and it looked like one could be a household member. But yeah, I just have the option to add a household member now and they have to be present apparently. That sucks, just two days ago my partner told me we should buy Prime when it expires and then do the sharing thing to make it cheaper. Can't do that now :(.

Edit, just tested it out and tried to add my partners account: wanted email address and password to authorise account and then on the next page asked about sharing card information between the accounts.

In order to share content within a Family Library and share certain … In order to share content within a Family Library and share certain benefits of Prime*, you will be authorising shared access to use credit and debit cards associated with your Amazon accounts for purchases on Amazon. Both accounts will retain their current payment methods, but you'll be able to see and use each other's credit and debit cards.With payment sharing authorisation you can,Share Prime benefits: Free Unlimited One-Day Delivery, streaming of Prime Instant Video, and borrowing books from Kindle Owners' Lending Library.Share digital content: Apps & Games and Books.[]We authorise payment sharing.[]We don't authorise payment sharing. This will only allow us to share management of child profiles with Fire for Kids.* Sharing of Prime is only activated if either customer is an active member of Prime or in a free trial. Prime Instant Video requires that both adults have an active credit card in their individual accounts.

Edited by: "bex85" 1st Aug 2015
Thats me not having Prime next year!
Amazon = pants
gr8t1

Amazon = pants

Quite enjoying the service to be fair... Only cost me £19 after sharing...
fwibble

Quite enjoying the service to be fair... Only cost me £19 after sharing...

​i used to be all in favour of Amazon, but they are getting greedy now. And losing fans left right and centre. If ur not a prime member the delivery service is second class. It should be irrelevant and a customer purchasing an item should receive the same standard of service for that purchase as any member.
gr8t1

​i used to be all in favour of Amazon, but they are getting greedy now. A … ​i used to be all in favour of Amazon, but they are getting greedy now. And losing fans left right and centre. If ur not a prime member the delivery service is second class. It should be irrelevant and a customer purchasing an item should receive the same standard of service for that purchase as any member.

It's called paying for first class delivery just like any other store! It was a dodgy loophole, Amazon closed it that makes them the bad guys oO
gr8t1

​i used to be all in favour of Amazon, but they are getting greedy now. A … ​i used to be all in favour of Amazon, but they are getting greedy now. And losing fans left right and centre. If ur not a prime member the delivery service is second class. It should be irrelevant and a customer purchasing an item should receive the same standard of service for that purchase as any member.

Ive found amazon standard delivery quicker than any other retailer. if i buy weds night it will be here friday at latest and sometimes next day. Their delivery estimates are normally nonsense.

Edited by: "davidian84" 2nd Aug 2015
davidian84

Ive found amazon standard delivery quicker than any other retailer. if i … Ive found amazon standard delivery quicker than any other retailer. if i buy weds night it will be here friday at latest and sometimes next day. Their delivery estimates are normally nonsense.

Our last 5 or 6 orders have been so slow to dispatch it's become beyond a joke, ordered Sunday dispatched Friday, ordered through marketplace and eBay same day items came on Tuesday. Last book I ordered for one of the kids was supposed two be dispatched within 2 days, 8 days later they "dispatched" after I complained it arrived 3 weeks later after they gave a refund as way of apology.

Op this trick is well known there is even a thread for people to share but search doesn't seem to throw anything up at the moment
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Aug 2015
eslick

Op this trick is well known there is even a thread for people to share … Op this trick is well known there is even a thread for people to share but search doesn't seem to throw anything up at the moment

What do you mean? of course op knows this trick, they are saying its being reduced from 4 to 1

Do you mean from a seller on amazon and ebay because neither have any control over sellers?
davidian84

What do you mean? of course op knows this trick, they are saying its … What do you mean? of course op knows this trick, they are saying its being reduced from 4 to 1Do you mean from a seller on amazon and ebay because neither have any control over sellers?

Yep, serves me right for just reading ops heading, miss read it

My other comment was about Amazon direct, their market place sellers and eBay have been much quicker for us recently. When I spoke with Amazon on chat they didn't see it as an issue but for us at least since they have increased the minimum send items are being dispatched much later than they used too and as I told the Amazon rep this will kill them at Christmas as it means last order delivery will be much sooner this year. My point is if marketplace and eBay sellers can dispatch in 1 day Amazon should be able to as well with their warehousing system it shouldn't take longer now than it used too.
Edited by: "eslick" 2nd Aug 2015
eslick

Yep, serves me right for just reading ops heading, miss read it :)My … Yep, serves me right for just reading ops heading, miss read it :)My other comment was about Amazon direct, their market place sellers and eBay have been much quicker for us recently. When I spoke with Amazon on chat they didn't see it as an issue but for us at least since they have increased the minimum send items are being dispatched much later than they used too and as I told the Amazon rep this will kill them at Christmas as it means last order delivery will be much sooner this year. My point is if marketplace and eBay sellers can dispatch in 1 day Amazon should be able to as well with their warehousing system it shouldn't take longer now than it used too.

I order a lot and never get things dispatched late, nearly all get dispatched early. what was the dispatch date when you ordered? they may have been awaiting stock
Edited by: "davidian84" 2nd Aug 2015
Very gloomy now
Well they've lost my renewal.
Bought that bayonetta deal with prime. Been dispatched now with expedited delivery expected delivery date is Thursday. So much for next day eh lol.
drago773

Bought that bayonetta deal with prime. Been dispatched now with expedited … Bought that bayonetta deal with prime. Been dispatched now with expedited delivery expected delivery date is Thursday. So much for next day eh lol.

never had that with prime myself, the only time it hasn't been next day they have warned me at purchase, oh and another time I chose the £1 credit instead of next day, assumed I could build up a load of them buy then discovered they expire.
I ordered something last Monday and took the free delivery option which says "3-5 days" for delivery. As soon as I made the order it said "Estimated dispatch date - Wed 29th". I though "OK thats not too bad" Then not a thing until an email at 4:11 am saying my order had been dispatched and will be with me "on time" on Tuesday. A whole 8 days after I placed my order. Not impressed
Thankfully though its coming via Royal Mail and not Yodel or Hermes!
I have no idea what is happening with Amazon, first the price increase without an option to not have Amazon Prime video, then the whole £20 delivery thing, are they deliberately trying to lose customers?
f2k8

I have no idea what is happening with Amazon, first the price increase … I have no idea what is happening with Amazon, first the price increase without an option to not have Amazon Prime video, then the whole £20 delivery thing, are they deliberately trying to lose customers?

No they are trying to run a business and make profit. It wasn't viable for them to offer free delivery on low value products, which was not only wasteful but damaging to their profits. Amazon Prime price increase is obviously reflected by the increase in customers adopting the service, and if they were to have a separate price for prime without prime video then again they wouldn't make as much money. By including it in the package whether somebody uses it or not means money in their pocket, whilst they are still "providing value for money".

I'm not saying I'm in favour of the changes, but too many people were taking advantage of the service before.
master10

No they are trying to run a business and make profit. It wasn't viable … No they are trying to run a business and make profit. It wasn't viable for them to offer free delivery on low value products, which was not only wasteful but damaging to their profits. Amazon Prime price increase is obviously reflected by the increase in customers adopting the service, and if they were to have a separate price for prime without prime video then again they wouldn't make as much money. By including it in the package whether somebody uses it or not means money in their pocket, whilst they are still "providing value for money".I'm not saying I'm in favour of the changes, but too many people were taking advantage of the service before.

I understand that they can't offer free delivery for low value products, so why not stick to £10 being the threshold? Instead of £20. I've run in to countless items that are priced at 19.99, I've had to order a bloody ruler for 70p to gain free delivery, and you might think it's making them more money, but many customers like my self resort to Ebay instead for low value items, especially now that Amazon has this flawed delivery system. Trust me, I loved Amazon, it's a great business, but if this were Apple making these changes (well, in a similar manner) they would get absolutely slayed, and I don't even like Apple. For some reason, Amazon customers are just letting it brush past, and don't even get me started on some of the other issues, for example, a house ban on all accounts if you return too many items, what if I order new parts for a gaming PC, roughly 10 parts all from Amazon, and every part is defective, due to my 10 quick succession returns, I will no longer have an Amazon account. It's all just too much.

Anyway, have a nice day, I don't want to look like I was being rude.
"Note: In order to share content, Prime benefits, and Amazon Mom benefits, both adult account holders need to authorize each other to use credit and debit cards associated with their Amazon accounts for purchases on Amazon. This will not affect either of their current payment settings, but each adult will be able to copy the credit and debit cards of the other account to his or her Amazon account and use them for purchases with Amazon."

So does this mean you can still share with 1 non family member, but you would need to trust them as they can use your card details?
f2k8

I understand that they can't offer free delivery for low value products, … I understand that they can't offer free delivery for low value products, so why not stick to £10 being the threshold? Instead of £20. I've run in to countless items that are priced at 19.99, I've had to order a bloody ruler for 70p to gain free delivery, and you might think it's making them more money, but many customers like my self resort to Ebay instead for low value items, especially now that Amazon has this flawed delivery system. Trust me, I loved Amazon, it's a great business, but if this were Apple making these changes (well, in a similar manner) they would get absolutely slayed, and I don't even like Apple. For some reason, Amazon customers are just letting it brush past, and don't even get me started on some of the other issues, for example, a house ban on all accounts if you return too many items, what if I order new parts for a gaming PC, roughly 10 parts all from Amazon, and every part is defective, due to my 10 quick succession returns, I will no longer have an Amazon account. It's all just too much.Anyway, have a nice day, I don't want to look like I was being rude.

most sites charge £5 for next day delivery, So £80 for a family plus all the other perks is still a great deal for lots of people, though probably not me.

As for non prime customers ive lived in a few places and always had really quick standard delivery, so not sure i buy that from people.

10 different items wont be defective, people dont get accounts closed for a few issues. Some people buy 100s and return 50% for stupid reasons. Ive never needed to return an item from several hundred items.

£20 is too high but i suppose they want people to sign up to prime. Most items have a seller selling it for same price where you dont need £20 spend

davidian84

"Note: In order to share content, Prime benefits, and Amazon Mom … "Note: In order to share content, Prime benefits, and Amazon Mom benefits, both adult account holders need to authorize each other to use credit and debit cards associated with their Amazon accounts for purchases on Amazon. This will not affect either of their current payment settings, but each adult will be able to copy the credit and debit cards of the other account to his or her Amazon account and use them for purchases with Amazon."So does this mean you can still share with 1 non family member, but you would need to trust them as they can use your card details?

Technically yes but, the non Prime member would also have to share their email address and password for Amazon so the Prime account holder can sign them in and authorise it. So probably too much of a risk for most people.
What about where sharing has already been set up? Will it continue to work as previously if no further changes are made? Will the other person have access to card details etc?
jewelie

What about where sharing has already been set up? Will it continue to … What about where sharing has already been set up? Will it continue to work as previously if no further changes are made? Will the other person have access to card details etc?

Surely not. This will come into effect for new sign ups or when it comes to renewal.
deleted57959

Im not 100% but after a bit of reading, I believe this is affecting US … Im not 100% but after a bit of reading, I believe this is affecting US Amazon only at the moment. can anyone confirm either way? i cannot seem to get a proper answer online.

Definitely seems to be UK...

amazon.co.uk/gp/…560
So people exploit the previous T&Cs by spreading their Prime account about this a cheap tart.
Then they increase the minimum spend to £20 because people keep a list of cheap pointless add on items.
Prime prices also rise as they add more 'perceived value' to a delivery package that costs less than many monthly Sky subs.
Finally people wonder why companies with huge server farms, who have plenty of computing experience data mine their own sales information, decide where they are losing money and adjust rules to stop it.

Really this site is for sharing deals, sometimes it takes some things too far and companies get slated for the greed of a few. Look at the free items debacle a few months back as an example. Do I like the Amazon price rises, not really however I still think it is value for money when all services are considered.

I pay line rental for a phone line that hasn't been upgraded in 30 years, all I do is use the internet no calls. So what do I get for my rip off £16 a month rental?
Oneday77

So what do I get for my rip off £16 a month rental?

PPI calls?
Just an update to this as well: My partners main account had a NUS discount on it and is the one we always put any Amazon gift cards on. So if I got another account with Prime, I would add my partners account.
With the new rules, the account I created last month, I added my partners account to it. Went to order something yesterday and my old account is eligible for Prime so I signed up for the trial and went to add my partner, only to be told something went wrong. Realised I hadn't removed my partners account from the household thing on the other account and when I went to do so, was told I wouldn't be able to add anyone else for 180 days, nor would my partners account be able to be added to anyones household Prime for 180 days.
(If that doesnt make sense....Account 1 signed up for Prime Trial and invited Account 2. Prime expired on Account 1 (and thus Account 2). Account 3 signed up for Prime Trial but, can't add Account 2, because Account 2 has to wait 180 days/6 months before they can be added to another Household membership).
So for the mean time, it means if you do create new accounts, you will have to place the orders on that account and forgo any Amazon credit on a main account.
We do use Prime a lot so think next pay day, I will get Prime on my partners account.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants