Amazon prime video data usage.

Found 1st May 2015
Watched a single episode of black sails last night on amazon fire stick, legally through the prime store, have a data monitor installed on stick and prior to watching checked my usage and it was 366mb after watching a one hour program albeit in HD, my usage had gone up to 4.88gig meaning that a one hour programme used up 4.5gig, effectively putting me over my data limit by 12mb and BT at charging me £5.60 extra, phoned Amazon to see if that amount of data usage for a one programme was correct, and they couldn't give me a definitive answer, just that HD could take up that amount of data on a fire stick. But I will say to Amazon's credit as a goodwill gesture they have refunded me £5.60 to my Amazon account, has to be used on Amazon can't pay BT though. Has anybody else had a similar experience with Prime video, and lastly anybody else using Prime video, don't think it has anything to do with the stick it's just the amount of data needed to watch the content on Prime, so please be warned of the excessive data usage you might incur.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
13 Comments
I believe HD 720 is roughly 1gb per hour and 1080 is rougly 4gb per hour so that would equate to what you have used. If you're going to be streaming then an unlimited package would suit you for broadband.
4.88 gig isn't over the top for an hours HD video, I've seen a lot higher tbh. I wouldn't even consider HD streaming on any device without unlimited data.
you shouldn't be streaming on a restricted connection.
Original Poster
Argoj

I believe HD 720 is roughly 1gb per hour and 1080 is rougly 4gb per hour … I believe HD 720 is roughly 1gb per hour and 1080 is rougly 4gb per hour so that would equate to what you have used. If you're going to be streaming then an unlimited package would suit you for broadband.

I totally agree, was thinking along those lines already, just never realised how much data these streaming sites used.
Original Poster
emodan

you shouldn't be streaming on a restricted connection.

I'm only used to streaming, from shall we say other sources so never had this problem before.
Does depend a lot on the connection speed, compression, codec being used. Amazon will want to give you a good experience and therefore will ensure that you get the best possible picture which will use more data. (you may be able to configure it to use a poorer quality stream)
Moral of the story is though, don't stream if you have a limited connection - I used 10GB off data on my mobile last month alone.
Original Poster
njpugh90

Does depend a lot on the connection speed, compression, codec being used. … Does depend a lot on the connection speed, compression, codec being used. Amazon will want to give you a good experience and therefore will ensure that you get the best possible picture which will use more data. (you may be able to configure it to use a poorer quality stream) Moral of the story is though, don't stream if you have a limited connection - I used 10GB off data on my mobile last month alone.

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any other options than HD streaming. It would be a bonus if they informed you how big the files are before you watched the stream, pretty much as Sky do on their catch up service, you are given the option of SD or HD and informed of the file sizes before downloading.
reaper1951

Unfortunately there does not appear to be any other options than HD … Unfortunately there does not appear to be any other options than HD streaming. It would be a bonus if they informed you how big the files are before you watched the stream, pretty much as Sky do on their catch up service, you are given the option of SD or HD and informed of the file sizes before downloading.

Keep in mind streaming and downloading are performed differently
Original Poster
njpugh90

Keep in mind streaming and downloading are performed differently

I would have thought downloading used more data than streaming or am I totally wrong on that score.
reaper1951

I would have thought downloading used more data than streaming or am I … I would have thought downloading used more data than streaming or am I totally wrong on that score.

I think you'll find they are almost identical, other then if you down load you can watch it again and again without further data usage.
For info if you are with BT you can get their vision box for £5 a month, this gives you access to several video streaming channels and as its all done by BT the downloads do not effect your usage limit.
Original Poster
Argoj

For info if you are with BT you can get their vision box for £5 a month, … For info if you are with BT you can get their vision box for £5 a month, this gives you access to several video streaming channels and as its all done by BT the downloads do not effect your usage limit.

Yes, been in touch with BT and found out that I was paying more than I realised for my infinity due to deal having ended, but was offered unlimited infinity for same price, also brokered a much better deal with sky, albeit minus movies which I rarely watch anyway. As for the BT box I did seriously consider it, but lack of HD especially on the sport channels was a major stumbling block for me, especially as SD on my TV is not brilliant.
reaper1951

Yes, been in touch with BT and found out that I was paying more than I … Yes, been in touch with BT and found out that I was paying more than I realised for my infinity due to deal having ended, but was offered unlimited infinity for same price, also brokered a much better deal with sky, albeit minus movies which I rarely watch anyway. As for the BT box I did seriously consider it, but lack of HD especially on the sport channels was a major stumbling block for me, especially as SD on my TV is not brilliant.

What level of infinity do you have? As the sport channels are available in HD for what was £3 extra a month, but you line has to support the required down load speed, from memory that was 4mb.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants