Amazon prime, when 1 day delivery doesn't mean 1 day delivery.

Found 2nd Jan 2013
I have amazon prime (free trial) and I ordered 2 things yesterday (separately) which said it had the 1 day amazon prime delivery option which I selected.

I just checked the orders and they haven't been dispatched yet and the delivery estimate is Friday 4th jan.

I spoke to an online rep who says it *may* be because they didn't have stock (they are in stock) and are possibly waiting for it.

Naughty amazon prime.

Ps I don't expect anyone to care
Community Updates
22 Comments
So they can't deliver something in one day for which they don't have stock?
What's that got to do with Amazon Prime?
Never had a problem with Prime, always got the goods the next day without fail.
thesaint

So they can't deliver something in one day for which they don't have … So they can't deliver something in one day for which they don't have stock?What's that got to do with Amazon Prime?

Its 2 separate items and neither was out of stock when I ordered it and it said I could have 1 day delivery! I don't believe they are out of stock at all (one is a voucher!) just they are sending on normal delivery instead of the 1 day offer because my prime free trial is ending soon.

To be fair I didn't have any problems before Xmas with amazon prime.
Amazon Prime is a hit and miss thing, they sometimes even post stuff as just RM 1st class. Amazon's way of dealing with Prime deliveries seems very random to me.

Edited by: "SUMMONER" 2nd Jan 2013
I had same issue, when you read the small print I don't think there is any guarantee's. I complained via e-mail and they gave me an extra free months trial so I have Prime free until February. Worth complaining as usual !
You ordered something on new years day expecting it today?
moob

This /\

Amazon Prime is a guaranteed next-day delivery service following dispatch of an item. That doesn't mean that they'll be dispatched the same day as you order though, or even the next - each item differs. If you check the item page, it'll say order in the next XX hours to receive guaranteed delivery by such and such date. On a fair few items this won't be tomorrow's date.

I placed three orders on Sunday using my Amazon Prime trial - one was delivered on NYE (dispatched Sunday), one is due tomorrow (dispatched today), and the other Friday (being sent tomorrow).

Saying that though, I've had three orders over the last couple of months where they haven't arrived on the guaranteed delivery date, so it isn't always as good as they make out.
Edited by: "midlandscomics" 2nd Jan 2013
moob

Actually I didn't expect it (even though it did say 1 day! Getting it yet?) but even so, Friday isn't 1 day from today either.
midlandscomics

Amazon Prime is a guaranteed next-day delivery service following dispatch … Amazon Prime is a guaranteed next-day delivery service following dispatch of an item. That doesn't mean that they'll be dispatched the same day as you order though, or even the next

Ah that explains it then, would have been good if the rep I spoke to explained this. I'm not really bothered I just wondered why it said one day delivery was available if it wasn't.
Depends on the courier as well, pray you don't get assigned HDNL ;). I ordered something (non-prime) a week ago and it has been sat at 'dispatching soon' for five days, off to uni at the weekend so not a happy chappy! (That isn't a complaint about HDNL, but they have been poor in the past)
Edited by: "JoshJoshJosh" 2nd Jan 2013
I was disappointed in the "Prime" service over Xmas. I ordered a game as part of a Xmas gift for my brother on the 19th December via Prime, which was dispatched same day but didn't give a tracking number which was odd and the first time it hasn't. Needless to say sod all arrived until 31st December and it was sent via standard 1st Class - not pleased
Why can't people understand this concept, delivery isn't the same as dispatch... dispatch is picking and packing the item PRIOR to delivery. So even when it says 1 day delivery etc, that means it will be one day from when it's dispatched.Simple.

OP I'm not having a go at you, and to be fair yes companies should be more up front about dispatch and delivery times.... but amazon are one of the best in my experience anyway, at least they give you an idea when to expect the items.
Edited by: "paddy.stone" 2nd Jan 2013
I ordered a few items yesterday. i have prime. It did state on all the items i was looking at delivery in 43 hours. so i will receive my orders friday.
It might be getting dispatched from Scotland, but since it is a public holiday in Scotland today ( as well as yesterday) you may find that it won't get dispatched until tomorrow, which will mean the 1day delivery estimate of Friday is correct.
daturastorm

Actually I didn't expect it (even though it did say 1 day! Getting it … Actually I didn't expect it (even though it did say 1 day! Getting it yet?) but even so, Friday isn't 1 day from today either.

Whatever. You have unreasonable expectations of delivery times over the festive season. Getting it yet?
moob

Whatever. You have unreasonable expectations of delivery times over the … Whatever. You have unreasonable expectations of delivery times over the festive season. Getting it yet?

Yep. I wrote to watchdog when it wasn't hand-delivered by 9am this morning. If its not here by 5pm I'm reporting it stolen. Oh no wait, I'm not stupid.
I've no idea why you created this thread. You've just made yourself look daft really.
moob

I've no idea why you created this thread. You've just made yourself look … I've no idea why you created this thread. You've just made yourself look daft really.

so sorry, didn't mean to lower the standard of misc threads.
Since the 31st December, 1 day has shown estimated delivery as 4th Jan. How dare the Amazon staff expect to be able to go to new years parties etc. 1st world problems.....
Shengis

Since the 31st December, 1 day has shown estimated delivery as 4th Jan. … Since the 31st December, 1 day has shown estimated delivery as 4th Jan. How dare the Amazon staff expect to be able to go to new years parties etc. 1st world problems.....

+1

I ordered something yesterday and it clearly stated the 4th when you added to basket and the 4th on the payment page.

GAVINLEWISHUKD

+1I ordered something yesterday and it clearly stated the 4th when you … +1I ordered something yesterday and it clearly stated the 4th when you added to basket and the 4th on the payment page.

Yeah I went and checked that afterwards, but it still said 1 day delivery available and the t&cs said its dispatched the same day if in stock (it is). I must have missed the bit that said 4th jan earliest. 1 item is a love film code so why it has to be posted I don't know.
daturastorm

Yeah I went and checked that afterwards, but it still said 1 day delivery … Yeah I went and checked that afterwards, but it still said 1 day delivery available and the t&cs said its dispatched the same day if in stock (it is). I must have missed the bit that said 4th jan earliest. 1 item is a love film code so why it has to be posted I don't know.

Well fwiw my 4th jan deliveries are out for today......
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions