Amazon - refuse delivery or return "properly"?

Found 12th Jan
Hi

I ordered the wrong thing on Amazon (mum had sent me a few links!) and can no longer cancel my order.

They've wrote a few options on the email and I was just wondering if it's best to refuse delivery or return via postage label? Does it take longer to refund if I refuse delivery? I've never had to return anything to Amazon so just wanted to ask which is the best/quickest option?

Thanks

22 Comments

Knowing amazon, either way is fine, best to just refuse, their system is updated immediately that you refuse hence you get your refund quicker

Refuse delivery as you will be charged for returns postage.

If you return it properly they will probably try and make you pay for return postage (depending on the return option you select), whereas refusing delivery should be free

Refuse

They always told me to refuse.

Banned

punji

Refuse delivery as you will be charged for returns postage.

Nah that can't be true for everyone. I have twice ordered something and accepted, decided I didn't want it so they arranged for someone to come and collect it from me.

Talk to chat first ask them and they can tell the courier to not to deliver the item or if it's royal mail just refuse delivery but it's very simple to return the item to amazon so not really any problems for you.
Edited by: "waterloo" 12th Jan

Also if you can say a reason why. I returned Jamie's meal in 15 minute as it not as described,. I said I have tried various recipes, and not managed a single one within 15 mins...

As they've already agreed you can refuse delivery, do this as it will be processed quicker. Just have to ensure you're there for for the courier as last time I tried to do this they left it on the doorstep and claimed "handed to resident"!

MrScotchBonnet

Nah that can't be true for everyone. I have twice ordered something and … Nah that can't be true for everyone. I have twice ordered something and accepted, decided I didn't want it so they arranged for someone to come and collect it from me.

​Not everything has free returns anymore

If amazon have agreed on refusal do that BUT only if you have the chat transcript or a email from amazon saying refusal is fine otherwise they may well deny it. Also if it's coming via Hermes accept it and return it as I've refused delivery with Hermes and the parcel disappeared

I have returned a few items and had to pay for returns as it was unwanted and not suitable. If it was unsuitable due to it being faulty or missing parts then they would issue you with free postage. You can always say you refused it as you was not given the option to cancel the item.

Banned

jenmumof5

​Not everything has free returns anymore

Didn't say that, said that can't be the case for everyone.

I spoke with Amazon after I had cancelled and they advised to refuse delivery, But also they can try to halt delivery themselves, you had to contact them after it had dispatched or something, Can't quite remember.

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. Delivery address is my mums house so hopefully she will be in to refuse delivery. Amazon was the seller so I'm not sure if they will send it by myhermes?

I have got an email about refusing delivery but will go on chat when I'm home to double check if they can halt delivery.

Thanks again for reassurance - the first thing google said was not to refuse delivery as it takes longer to process the return!! (And a few links of people saying there stuff had "disappeared" after refusing delivery.)

Just out of interest - does my mum just tell the delivery driver to take the parcel back as she doesn't want it?

Better to get an independent witness while refusing delivery and/or recording using a hidden cam.

Another snag with refusing delivery is that you need to be in to do it. A while ago I tried to cancel an order and was told by Amazon to refuse delivery because the item was about to be dispatched and couldn't be cancelled. The courier attempted delivery when I was out and delivered the item to my neighbour so I ended up having to return it anyway.
Edited by: "mrbargain" 12th Jan

wowbiggy

Also if you can say a reason why. I returned Jamie's meal in 15 minute … Also if you can say a reason why. I returned Jamie's meal in 15 minute as it not as described,. I said I have tried various recipes, and not managed a single one within 15 mins...

perhaps you're a bit slow at cooking?

germainsophie

Thanks for all the replies. Delivery address is my mums house so … Thanks for all the replies. Delivery address is my mums house so hopefully she will be in to refuse delivery. Amazon was the seller so I'm not sure if they will send it by myhermes?I have got an email about refusing delivery but will go on chat when I'm home to double check if they can halt delivery.Thanks again for reassurance - the first thing google said was not to refuse delivery as it takes longer to process the return!! (And a few links of people saying there stuff had "disappeared" after refusing delivery.)Just out of interest - does my mum just tell the delivery driver to take the parcel back as she doesn't want it?

tell her to hide behind the sofa (_;)

MrScotchBonnet

Didn't say that, said that can't be the case for everyone.

It wasn't a dig at your comment, it was a follow on from it to help the op know not to assume there's an automatic free return on nearly every item fulfilled by amazon like there used to be. Often just clothing now

Original Poster

shauneco

I spoke with Amazon after I had cancelled and they advised to refuse … I spoke with Amazon after I had cancelled and they advised to refuse delivery, But also they can try to halt delivery themselves, you had to contact them after it had dispatched or something, Can't quite remember.

I contacted them via chat and when I now go online, to my order, this message comes up: Stop and Return Request Received.

So hopefully it will not be dispatched, but if it is, I will refuse delivery at the door.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments.

waterloo

Talk to chat first ask them and they can tell the courier to not to … Talk to chat first ask them and they can tell the courier to not to deliver the item or if it's royal mail just refuse delivery but it's very simple to return the item to amazon so not really any problems for you.

As i said talk to chat first to stop delivery always works for me glad it worked for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text