Amazon refuses to refund me after returning product

Posted 22nd Nov
My account was put on hold for 2 months after opening a return on an item. The item was returned over a month ago and I was told that I would receive a refund. I waited a week after returning and asked about my refund and was told that my account is closed permanently and they wouldn't reply to further emails. Its now been an entire month + of me calling amazon customer service team for them to contact the OFM team to get back to me and I have received 0 emails since I started. I did some research on accounts getting suspended but from what I can see they atleast dt received a warning before getting suspended for returning items, which I didn't. How do I get back my money back as I've already returned the product and amazon isn't willing to refund me let alone respond to my emails.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Try emailing jeff@amazon.com their top customer service team will usually email back in 24 hours.
53 Comments
What did you return & why?
Surely its against the law to not return your money or at least send the item back to you.
How many returns have you done ?
Willy_Wonka22/11/2019 20:58

What did you return & why?

It was a ryzen 5 3600. As soon as I received it I found a deal for the same CPU for £150 rather than the £187.49 I paid. I decided to return it and buy that one instead.
Mark_Hickman22/11/2019 21:00

Surely its against the law to not return your money or at least send the …Surely its against the law to not return your money or at least send the item back to you.How many returns have you done ?

I can't login as Im not allowed access to the account anymore but as far as I remember 3 out of atleast 20 orders were returned. 2 of them being faulty and this one because I found the same product for much cheaper
Did you install it?
Willy_Wonka22/11/2019 21:03

Did you install it?

No I didn't even bother opening it before returning it.
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:04

Did you get any benefits with it?
Willy_Wonka22/11/2019 21:09

Did you get any benefits with it?

No it wasn't on any deals. I just bought it for full price on amazon before returning it. The same day I opened the return the account was put on hold and after spending a week confirming I would receive a refund upon returning I decided to return it. Only for me to realise amazon doesn't up hold promises and the second i returned the item they ceased all communication with me.
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:03

I can't login as Im not allowed access to the account anymore but as far …I can't login as Im not allowed access to the account anymore but as far as I remember 3 out of atleast 20 orders were returned. 2 of them being faulty and this one because I found the same product for much cheaper

3 out of 20 is not so bad really, its what 15% returns, could be a lot worse and if it was faulty items, then its understandable.
I'm surprised they banned you for that and surely they cant keep your money, as we're not talking a few quid, what £180ish for a ryzen 3600 ?
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 22nd Nov
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:12

No it wasn't on any deals. I just bought it for full price on amazon …No it wasn't on any deals. I just bought it for full price on amazon before returning it. The same day I opened the return the account was put on hold and after spending a week confirming I would receive a refund upon returning I decided to return it. Only for me to realise amazon doesn't up hold promises and the second i returned the item they ceased all communication with me.

charge back through bank, only option
3 returns on that account what about others? Maybe you have family members doing this without you being aware.
How did you pay for it?
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:04

My mistake. Misread.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 22nd Nov
Willy_Wonka22/11/2019 21:32

Well something you are saying is not true. In your original post you say …Well something you are saying is not true. In your original post you say you opened it & now you say you didn't open it. In any case some items like these electronic items cannot be returned unless faulty if you open them.

I said I opened a return. Not the package
Were the other two items that you returned high value?

Normally, they give a warning email before suspending accounts.
Edited by: "Speculator" 22nd Nov
Speculator22/11/2019 21:36

Were the other two items that you returned high value?Normally, they give …Were the other two items that you returned high value?Normally, they give a warning email before suspending accounts.

No everything else bought on the account is below £50 as far as I can remember.
MR112322/11/2019 21:16

3 returns on that account what about others? Maybe you have family members …3 returns on that account what about others? Maybe you have family members doing this without you being aware.

Don't think so. We only have one prime account.
3 out of 20 is pretty normal.

If Amazon close accounts for this rate of returns, they would be closing hundreds of accounts every day.

This has put me off ordering from Amazon Warehouse because 4 out of 10 items are faulty/missing items/wrong item on there.

Only last week, I ordered a sugar cannister from the warehouse and they sent me a tea cannister. Decided to keep it because it was only £4 and I know Amazon ban people for making returns.
Edited by: "Speculator" 22nd Nov
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:38

Don't think so. We only have one prime account.

Seems odd banning for 3 items, you didn't get warning either perhaps they banned you by mistake. Make an enquiry.
You have written records? Small Claims Court or report it to police as it is either fraud or obtaining goods or services through deception.
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:33

I said I opened a return. Not the package

My mistake. So long as you didn't break the seal I cannot think of any reason for a refusal to refund you.
MR112322/11/2019 21:43

Seems odd banning for 3 items, you didn't get warning either perhaps they …Seems odd banning for 3 items, you didn't get warning either perhaps they banned you by mistake. Make an enquiry.

I have for the past 2 months. My account was actually taken off hold for 2 days before being put back in hold. I'm not sure why either
Hope you didn't have a Gift Card balance on the account because Amazon are known for keeping the entire balance after closing accounts.
Speculator22/11/2019 21:49

Hope you didn't have a Gift Card balance on the account because Amazon are …Hope you didn't have a Gift Card balance on the account because Amazon are known for keeping the entire balance after closing accounts.

Luckily I didn't.
I'm always complaining about stuff I buy from amazon warehouse, incomplete or minor issues but generally get a partial refund rather than returning it. My return/moan rate is probably less than 5% though. Bought a Bryton 10 cycle computer for £25 but it didn't have the cadence sensor that was meant to come with it so got a £9 refund on it just a day or so ago. Maybe they don't punish people buying from amazon warehouse though as they are a bit rubbish.
bonzobanana22/11/2019 22:05

I'm always complaining about stuff I buy from amazon warehouse, incomplete …I'm always complaining about stuff I buy from amazon warehouse, incomplete or minor issues but generally get a partial refund rather than returning it. My return/moan rate is probably less than 5% though. Bought a Bryton 10 cycle computer for £25 but it didn't have the cadence sensor that was meant to come with it so got a £9 refund on it just a day or so ago. Maybe they don't punish people buying from amazon warehouse though as they are a bit rubbish.

They have records of everything, they also take into account all duplicate accounts. My advice is to ask for promotional credit, as this is easier for them to accept and harder for them to track. If you get full or partial refunds, whether you are returning or keeping the items it doesn’t matter. It all counts towards their reasons behind blocking accounts. They are getting a lot more strict now, as they basically have every adult as a member everywhere... so they can happily block ones getting refunds off them, without a single given.
Hmmm, i think Amazon are breaching consumer regulations here. As big as they are, they are not above the law.

My first port of call would be to try the resolver complaints tool. resolver.co.uk/

If you dont have any luck there, then try citizens advice.

Finally, you can also challenge Amazon in court. Again, if Amazon have breached consumer regulations (they recieved the return but did not refund you nor return the item back to you) then i cannot see how they would win this.

I strongly advise you to read through the moneysavingexpert guide on complaints
moneysavingexpert.com/sho…in/
perhaps even post a thread on their forum.

Good luck though
Does returning items bought from Amazon but not directly from Amazon themselves count?
Try emailing jeff@amazon.com their top customer service team will usually email back in 24 hours.
Saladrang22/11/2019 21:38

Debit card

maybe try a chargeback from your debit card company
JohnnyRoller22/11/2019 22:33

They have records of everything, they also take into account all duplicate …They have records of everything, they also take into account all duplicate accounts. My advice is to ask for promotional credit, as this is easier for them to accept and harder for them to track. If you get full or partial refunds, whether you are returning or keeping the items it doesn’t matter. It all counts towards their reasons behind blocking accounts. They are getting a lot more strict now, as they basically have every adult as a member everywhere... so they can happily block ones getting refunds off them, without a single given.

Theres got to be some sort of cut off though otherwise they could block most potential customers. The amount of people that will just accept faulty or incomplete goods which don't meet the contract of sale must be very few they can't just rely on those people for custom. I suspect they are much more bothered with people that just return goods on a whim, costing Amazon money unfairly. I don't tend to return anything because I just changed my mind I only return goods or complain because the goods are not as stated rather than have changed price. My mother buys a lot of clothes online but returns a huge amount of it only keeping maybe 1 or 2 items out of every 5 she orders thats like a 60 to 80% return rate. Obviously clothes are different and may not fit but still it staggers me that is profitable for the companies she uses. If Amazon do close my account without refunding me I will definitely be contacting my credit card company. I would never use a debit card anyway with Amazon so always have the greater protection of a credit card. Amazon aren't like ebay and paypal either as far as I know they have full UK legal addresses so can easily be taken to court if necessary.
bonzobanana22/11/2019 23:27

Theres got to be some sort of cut off though otherwise they could block …Theres got to be some sort of cut off though otherwise they could block most potential customers. The amount of people that will just accept faulty or incomplete goods which don't meet the contract of sale must be very few they can't just rely on those people for custom. I suspect they are much more bothered with people that just return goods on a whim, costing Amazon money unfairly. I don't tend to return anything because I just changed my mind I only return goods or complain because the goods are not as stated rather than have changed price. My mother buys a lot of clothes online but returns a huge amount of it only keeping maybe 1 or 2 items out of every 5 she orders thats like a 60 to 80% return rate. Obviously clothes are different and may not fit but still it staggers me that is profitable for the companies she uses. If Amazon do close my account without refunding me I will definitely be contacting my credit card company. I would never use a debit card anyway with Amazon so always have the greater protection of a credit card. Amazon aren't like ebay and paypal either as far as I know they have full UK legal addresses so can easily be taken to court if necessary.

They will give the money back, you just have to speak to the right people. I always email them when their customer service can’t resolve something. That always gets to a satisfactory resolution. However that doesn’t mean they will unblock the accounts.

Also whenever someone posts on here about getting an account blocked, no one knows the full truth. Amazon have definitely got a lot stricter, but it’s still rare for them to block an account.
This seems odd to me, like we're missing some info?

I've opened plenty of Amazon accounts, and returned loads over the years. Never had this happen..

3 Returns?? c'mon now. I've returned 3 this week alone.. one for over £400.. Let's get some honesty in this thread? No other accounts? How long has this account been open?

Do you use VPN;s?
Edited by: "Jace_Phoenix" 22nd Nov
Do you know if they actually received your return ? If they haven't received it, then you may want to complain to the courier who took your parcel back, if they have received it then surely the argument is in your favour ...... contact the consumer ombudsman heres a link to ?Which on what you need to do which.co.uk/con…nts

link to the ombudsman service ombudsman-services.org
Edited by: "harmageddon" 22nd Nov
adamderak22/11/2019 22:40

Does returning items bought from Amazon but not directly from Amazon …Does returning items bought from Amazon but not directly from Amazon themselves count?

My guess is yes because you are causing them hassle and affecting their profits
snoopy1822/11/2019 23:52

My guess is yes because you are causing them hassle and affecting their …My guess is yes because you are causing them hassle and affecting their profits

Oops got 3 items to return. Tbh I used to shop more on eBay and not overly bothered if I do get banned.
PayPal with eBay are brilliant. Being able to return items purchased online us surely a must as you are unable to view items prior to purchase.
Speculator22/11/2019 21:49

Hope you didn't have a Gift Card balance on the account because Amazon are …Hope you didn't have a Gift Card balance on the account because Amazon are known for keeping the entire balance after closing accounts.

I have never understood how a company that patented the 1-click buy button could possibly complain about people sending back their impulse purchases for a refund. Surely that is the cost of doing business the Amazon way.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 23rd Nov
Something doesn’t add up.
So have you proof the item was collected?
Did they receive it?
I have usually contacted them by phone and they have always done a good job of sorting out any problems.
I suggest you call them
What is OFM?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants