Amazon Return Stolen

Posted 11th Sep 2018
Just wanted to share my recent experience with Amazon and Hermes.

I hope my story will be shared in the community and avoid others having the same experience.

I returned a RazerBlade gaming laptop to Amazon. They are claiming that the box arrived empty and essentially accused me of stealing it without any kind of reason or proof (for the record I didn't)

As you can imagine I am somewhat upset.

Despite around three hours on the phone to Amazon a manager at their Customer Service team they will not refund the item.

Amazon's first tactic was to say they could only refund if I had proof the item was picked up. They kept saying they needed the receipt. Now I know from previous posts that MyHermes do not provide receipts so this was clearly BS.

Fortunately for me I live in a building with a concierge service and they have a parcel tracking system for deliveries and pickups so I have proof that MyHermes did collect it.

I also packed the item in front of my wife. This is important as if/when we get to court, despite our relationship, it is some form of evidence that I am not lying.

Next they told me to contact MyHermes. Consider that it was them that arranged the collection with MyHermes so there is no way that MyHermes will engage with me over this.

Then they claimed that because of the amount they could not refund it and I would have to write to their 'Head Office'. I asked them to email me the details of the head office and agreed to write.

I then received an email that said that whatever I sent to the HQ would be handled by the Customer Services team (who had just said they couldn't resolve the problem).

Now I appreciate that the item has been stolen and effectively there are three/four places where it could have been stolen.

1. I could be a lying thief. In my defense I am not. I have been an Amazon customer for about 20 years and get around 280/300 deliveries from them a year (400-500 items). In all that time this is the first missing item.

2. My concierge could have stolen it. I believe this is highly unlikely. Fristly he is a very honest guy but it just doesnt make sense. He was well aware of the contents of the box both on delivery and return. If he were going to take the item he would have stolen it on initial delivery (not went being returned as faulty). Also, his work area is surrounded by CCTV and he has worked here for 4/5 years with no issues.

3. A MyHermes person could have taken it. Yes, they could. Again the guy that picked it up is the same guy as the one who delivered it so probably not him but maybe someone else in the chain.

4. An Amazon person could have taken it. Again yes they could. I suspect Amazon security on returns is likely to be less tight than on normal items.

Of all these options Amazon decided to blame me... Let's call that a mistake.

Now I have disputed the charges with my Credit Card company so it looks like we are heading for court....

I also asked Amazon for the trace details on the package including the details of the Amazon depot where it could have been stolen. I explained this was so I could report the theft to the police. Amazon have failed to provide this information. I can only think that they do not want the matter reported to the police as they understand it is quite a possibility one of their own staff that may have stolen it.

Please feel free to share my story with friends and family as Amazon should not get away with this kind of behaviour.

Richard

London
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email address of Doug Gurr. It did the trick!
harlzter11/09/2018 17:54

Unfortunately you are correct, the CS team only have so much scope, I …Unfortunately you are correct, the CS team only have so much scope, I would try and and find the contact of someone higher up to escalate it and use my method to try and force their hand. I can never get angry at call centre staff and often start a call by saying to them I am sorry if I end up swearing or shouting on the phone and understand its not your fault and its nothing personal to you and always end the call by apologising at the end of the call, for some reason this method always seems to get better results than remaining totally calm as it allows them to empathise with you you easier and tend to get told they totally understand and that they are thankful for the apology as its something they very rarely get.Have you tried using the resolver website? Never used it but heard good stuff Other option:Doug Gurr Chief executive dgurr@amazon.com

Today I received a call and subsequently the following email:

"The Amazon UK Services Ltd Managing Director, Mr Douglas Gurr received your e-mails and asked that I respond on his behalf.

Further to our conversation this morning, I am very sorry to learn of your experiences with regards to the returned laptop.

We aim to promptly resolve all queries on the first contact, however, I can see that your particular issue was greatly exacerbated by the poor handling of your phone calls. As discussed, we have policies in place to address issues of this nature but these were not followed, which is not acceptable. I apologise for this and please rest assured that the appropriate supervisory department(s) have been made aware of your experiences, so we may administer additional training to the individuals concerned."

They also confirmed the refund will be made and will consider changing their email wording. Lastly they provided a gift card for my inconvenience.

Thanks everyone!
Look at it from Amazons point of view, do not get angry with them, do things calmly with no malice and record everything, calls, post, emails etc, time and date everything, I say this as if you take them to court you can show evidence of what you did to prevent it going to court (the court will look favourably at that) and you can claim for your time which generally you can claim in 15 min intervals, usually at a cost of between £35.00-£50.00.

Once you have exhausted CS, send them a Final Letter Before Action to their Legal department, and complete the Court Papers and send them a copy of the papers, (you do not have to submit them yet).. Show Amazon you are serious but do so in a calm and friendly manner.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 11th Sep 2018
jco8311/09/2018 16:08

If Amazon arranged the return then Amazon are liable in my opinion

This, they contracted hermes to collect and deliver to them, I would be tempted to ask Amazon that if they are denying it is their problem then they are accusing you of theft and in which case they should have a crime reference number in fact I would be very insistent that they report the theft with you as the person who stole it. If they then decline then they are denying that you are the thief and therefore it is due to the contractors they employed and then the onus is on them to refund and do their own investigation. If they say it could have been you but they cant prove it then they are admitting that it could have been at any point during the return and therefore a criminal investigation should be initiated.
Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? Not a great deal of help to you but the delivery driver would surely have commented on receiving what felt like an empty box.
55 Comments
Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? Not a great deal of help to you but the delivery driver would surely have commented on receiving what felt like an empty box.
cash4tweets15 m ago

Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? …Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? Not a great deal of help to you but the delivery driver would surely have commented on receiving what felt like an empty box.

Good point. I will ask the Hermes driver when I see him next.
Thanks for the suggestion.
jco8311/09/2018 16:08

This, they contracted hermes to collect and deliver to them, I would be tempted to ask Amazon that if they are denying it is their problem then they are accusing you of theft and in which case they should have a crime reference number in fact I would be very insistent that they report the theft with you as the person who stole it. If they then decline then they are denying that you are the thief and therefore it is due to the contractors they employed and then the onus is on them to refund and do their own investigation. If they say it could have been you but they cant prove it then they are admitting that it could have been at any point during the return and therefore a criminal investigation should be initiated.
Look at it from Amazons point of view, do not get angry with them, do things calmly with no malice and record everything, calls, post, emails etc, time and date everything, I say this as if you take them to court you can show evidence of what you did to prevent it going to court (the court will look favourably at that) and you can claim for your time which generally you can claim in 15 min intervals, usually at a cost of between £35.00-£50.00.

Once you have exhausted CS, send them a Final Letter Before Action to their Legal department, and complete the Court Papers and send them a copy of the papers, (you do not have to submit them yet).. Show Amazon you are serious but do so in a calm and friendly manner.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 11th Sep 2018
MrSprkle23 m ago

frfeindly manner.

Is that some sort of passive aggresion?
deleted1471098
I’d ask them for the parcel weight details, most parcels are weighed at the hubs as that informs the charges otherwise you could just say it was 1kg when it was 10kg and pay less. You can then compare this to the original package weight to prove it was at least picked up with a laptop in it unless it was stolen before it got back to the hub. If it goes to court ask amazon to provide this, if they don’t tell the court they are with holding evidence that could prove your case.
I would ask the concierge while it is still fresh in his memory, if he would be willing to write and sign a very brief statement that the box he handed to hermess felt heavy enough that it wasn't likely to be empty, just in case it does go to court.
melted18 m ago

I would ask the concierge while it is still fresh in his memory, if he …I would ask the concierge while it is still fresh in his memory, if he would be willing to write and sign a very brief statement that the box he handed to hermess felt heavy enough that it wasn't likely to be empty, just in case it does go to court.

Thanks. I got this already from the concierge but Amazon are still holding out.
deleted147109811/09/2018 17:16

I’d ask them for the parcel weight details, most parcels are weighed at t …I’d ask them for the parcel weight details, most parcels are weighed at the hubs as that informs the charges otherwise you could just say it was 1kg when it was 10kg and pay less. You can then compare this to the original package weight to prove it was at least picked up with a laptop in it unless it was stolen before it got back to the hub. If it goes to court ask amazon to provide this, if they don’t tell the court they are with holding evidence that could prove your case.

Will definitely do this. Thanks for the idea.
harlzter11/09/2018 16:39

This, they contracted hermes to collect and deliver to them, I would be …This, they contracted hermes to collect and deliver to them, I would be tempted to ask Amazon that if they are denying it is their problem then they are accusing you of theft and in which case they should have a crime reference number in fact I would be very insistent that they report the theft with you as the person who stole it. If they then decline then they are denying that you are the thief and therefore it is due to the contractors they employed and then the onus is on them to refund and do their own investigation. If they say it could have been you but they cant prove it then they are admitting that it could have been at any point during the return and therefore a criminal investigation should be initiated.

I totally agree with your logic. In all honesty I don't think it was missed by the Amazon CS manager I was talking to but ultimately they have a script and policy they have been told to follow.

I also asked them what they had done themselves. Had they reported the crime? Had they launched an internal investigation. Did they plan to? They refused to answer these questions and just kept repeating that they was nothing they could do (other than keep my money of course).

I also asked them for all the tracking details of where the parcel had been and who had handled it. They didn't say no but they also have not sent them. I am therefore pretty sure that unfortunately I will not get them from them. The last thing Amazon wants is the police going to their distribution center to investigate!

It does make me wonder how often this happens and how regularly they get away with this kind of
rastreet11/09/2018 17:44

I totally agree with your logic. In all honesty I don't think it was …I totally agree with your logic. In all honesty I don't think it was missed by the Amazon CS manager I was talking to but ultimately they have a script and policy they have been told to follow.I also asked them what they had done themselves. Had they reported the crime? Had they launched an internal investigation. Did they plan to? They refused to answer these questions and just kept repeating that they was nothing they could do (other than keep my money of course).I also asked them for all the tracking details of where the parcel had been and who had handled it. They didn't say no but they also have not sent them. I am therefore pretty sure that unfortunately I will not get them from them. The last thing Amazon wants is the police going to their distribution center to investigate!It does make me wonder how often this happens and how regularly they get away with this kind of

Unfortunately you are correct, the CS team only have so much scope, I would try and and find the contact of someone higher up to escalate it and use my method to try and force their hand. I can never get angry at call centre staff and often start a call by saying to them I am sorry if I end up swearing or shouting on the phone and understand its not your fault and its nothing personal to you and always end the call by apologising at the end of the call, for some reason this method always seems to get better results than remaining totally calm as it allows them to empathise with you you easier and tend to get told they totally understand and that they are thankful for the apology as its something they very rarely get.

Have you tried using the resolver website? Never used it but heard good stuff

Other option:
Doug Gurr Chief executive dgurr@amazon.com
harlzter8 m ago

Unfortunately you are correct, the CS team only have so much scope, I …Unfortunately you are correct, the CS team only have so much scope, I would try and and find the contact of someone higher up to escalate it and use my method to try and force their hand. I can never get angry at call centre staff and often start a call by saying to them I am sorry if I end up swearing or shouting on the phone and understand its not your fault and its nothing personal to you and always end the call by apologising at the end of the call, for some reason this method always seems to get better results than remaining totally calm as it allows them to empathise with you you easier and tend to get told they totally understand and that they are thankful for the apology as its something they very rarely get.Have you tried using the resolver website? Never used it but heard good stuff Other option:Doug Gurr Chief executive dgurr@amazon.com

Thanks will give the email address a go.
I would of made a video of it being packed and sent
tis worrying returning stuff over 400£, at the mercy. best you can do is get a receipt for the weight, if they want to take it without receipt best to say no, too late for you but hopefully your story will prompt other people to either refuse getting no receipt of pay 10-15£ themselfs to get it tracked and insured
ashmac11/09/2018 18:11

The hindsight love affair.
deleted1410297
Your first mistake was buying a Razer
rev611/09/2018 18:49

The hindsight love affair.

And it doesn't prove a thing. It just proves you packed a laptop into a box and/or handed a box to a courier.

Also, I'm struggling to understand why anyone would let a valuable laptop go without obtaining any sort of proof of postage. You wouldn't do it if you sold a valuable laptop on ebay, why would you do it in this case?
Edited by: "deeky" 11th Sep 2018
deleted8085811/09/2018 19:28

And it doesn't prove a thing. It just proves you packed a laptop into a …And it doesn't prove a thing. It just proves you packed a laptop into a box and/or handed a box to a courier. Also, I'm struggling to understand why anyone would let a valuable laptop go without obtaining any sort of proof of postage. You wouldn't do it if you sold a valuable laptop on ebay, why would you do it in this case?

Someone who kept the laptop & sent an empty box back to Amazon perhaps? & the concierge sounds like he's in on it & the wife.
All sounds a bit columbo to me.
Edited by: "OldEnglish" 11th Sep 2018
deleted8085811/09/2018 19:28

And it doesn't prove a thing. It just proves you packed a laptop into a …And it doesn't prove a thing. It just proves you packed a laptop into a box and/or handed a box to a courier. Also, I'm struggling to understand why anyone would let a valuable laptop go without obtaining any sort of proof of postage. You wouldn't do it if you sold a valuable laptop on ebay, why would you do it in this case?

Getting a proof of collection is as useless* as recording yourself packing it in this case.
Edited by: "rev6" 11th Sep 2018
My guess would be hermes as being the week link in the chain, every interaction I have been forced to endure with any person who has worked for them has firmly reinforced the notion that their hiring process is abysmal.
If you ever have an issue with them as a company prepare for "we'll get back to you" in an endless cycle with no resolution.
deleted110956411/09/2018 21:18

Comment deleted

I returned something the other day. I wasn’t home myself but a family member was and the MyHermes guy did leave a receipt, although it was blank. I hope I don’t have any issues. OP, sorry to hear you’re going through this, I do hope you come out of this whole.
deleted110956411/09/2018 21:36

Comment deleted

Hmmm. Just checked it and I do see a barcode. Cheers mate, I was more concerned about the empty fields so didn’t notice.
I once ordered a box of 6xGU10 bulbs, but when it arrived the box only had 1 bulb in it. I didn't bother returning it, as it didn't cost a lot, but it does make me wonder who does the quality control checks before it leaves the warehouse. Surely if the label states 6, and when you pick up the box and it feels lighter than usual, I would have expected someone to investigate. Anyway OP, I hope you get this sorted soon, as going to court could be so draining and time-consuming....Best of luck!!
deleted110956411/09/2018 21:18

Comment deleted

Not for me they didn't. Sent something back forgot what it was now, but they guy just took it from my door and left.

I did try and record it but he got a bit impatient.

Only tried to record it because of Hermes's proven rubbish record.

Ordered a PS4 once, Hermes delivered it with the bag it comes in all ripped and outer PS4 box damaged. I returned it.

Hope you sort it out OP, keep us posted, better to use the post office next time.
Hermes lost a return of a camera i sent back, it showed as collected on the tracking but never went any further. I wouldn't use Hermes to deliver anything.
Edited by: "Azwipe" 12th Sep 2018
The lesson here to be learnt is that: Avoid Hermes and yodel at all times. Their customer service even took 3 days to get back to me for a basic, basic question
tldr. always photo packaged item and pay sign for even if they provide lable without signature.
ssc133 m ago

tldr. always photo packaged item and pay sign for even if they provide …tldr. always photo packaged item and pay sign for even if they provide lable without signature.

Wouldnt prove a thing as you could easily package an empty box or weighted box to look identical after the fact unless you made one long video without cuts from packaging to handing over to courier.
So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email address of Doug Gurr. It did the trick!
harlzter11/09/2018 17:54

Today I received a call and subsequently the following email:

"The Amazon UK Services Ltd Managing Director, Mr Douglas Gurr received your e-mails and asked that I respond on his behalf.

Further to our conversation this morning, I am very sorry to learn of your experiences with regards to the returned laptop.

We aim to promptly resolve all queries on the first contact, however, I can see that your particular issue was greatly exacerbated by the poor handling of your phone calls. As discussed, we have policies in place to address issues of this nature but these were not followed, which is not acceptable. I apologise for this and please rest assured that the appropriate supervisory department(s) have been made aware of your experiences, so we may administer additional training to the individuals concerned."

They also confirmed the refund will be made and will consider changing their email wording. Lastly they provided a gift card for my inconvenience.

Thanks everyone!
rastreet1 m ago

So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email …So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email address of Doug Gurr. It did the trick! Today I received a call and subsequently the following email:"The Amazon UK Services Ltd Managing Director, Mr Douglas Gurr received your e-mails and asked that I respond on his behalf.Further to our conversation this morning, I am very sorry to learn of your experiences with regards to the returned laptop.We aim to promptly resolve all queries on the first contact, however, I can see that your particular issue was greatly exacerbated by the poor handling of your phone calls. As discussed, we have policies in place to address issues of this nature but these were not followed, which is not acceptable. I apologise for this and please rest assured that the appropriate supervisory department(s) have been made aware of your experiences, so we may administer additional training to the individuals concerned."They also confirmed the refund will be made and will consider changing their email wording. Lastly they provided a gift card for my inconvenience. Thanks everyone!

Thanks for the update. Good to know it's sorted!
rastreet26 m ago

So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email …So just wanted to provide an update. Thanks to harlzter for the email address of Doug Gurr. It did the trick! Today I received a call and subsequently the following email:"The Amazon UK Services Ltd Managing Director, Mr Douglas Gurr received your e-mails and asked that I respond on his behalf.Further to our conversation this morning, I am very sorry to learn of your experiences with regards to the returned laptop.We aim to promptly resolve all queries on the first contact, however, I can see that your particular issue was greatly exacerbated by the poor handling of your phone calls. As discussed, we have policies in place to address issues of this nature but these were not followed, which is not acceptable. I apologise for this and please rest assured that the appropriate supervisory department(s) have been made aware of your experiences, so we may administer additional training to the individuals concerned."They also confirmed the refund will be made and will consider changing their email wording. Lastly they provided a gift card for my inconvenience. Thanks everyone!

Well done, how much was the gift card out of interest?

Although you can bet now youre on their high risk register, Amazon are known for banning peoples addresses and everyone at that address when they cross a certain threshold for lost or stolen goods.
Edited by: "MrSprkle" 12th Sep 2018
cash4tweets21 h, 30 m ago

Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? …Wouldn't Hermes have weighed the parcel before sending it on to Amazon? Not a great deal of help to you but the delivery driver would surely have commented on receiving what felt like an empty box.

He would only comment if he knew it was a laptop being collected otherwise no comment and I don’t think they would know this information but maybe op could check.
ashmac20 h, 30 m ago

A complete waste of time as it proves nothing
rastreet7 h, 56 m ago

Nice one, glad to have been able to help and make a difference.
I once returned 6 of the same items to amazon before, they claimed they only received 5. They weren't cheap items either, £100 odd each. When I got on the blower to their customer service, they immediately refunded me the money for the missing one with little argument.

I very much doubt anyone at amazon stole the OPS laptop. The security in the amazon warehouse is ridiculously tight. It would be impossible, (unless the security guards inside were in on it too). They are stopped and searched inside the warehouse when they enter the canteen at lunch even. I've been to amazon a few times in the past to do some repair jobs, it was not easy to get in and out!

I had a friend once that worked in amazon and he used to steal console games that he would place inside his uneaten sandwich (just the disc). Thats the only case ive ever heard of anyone actually getting away with stealing something from them.

So I suspect, the myhermes delivery driver, well, lets say had a nice salary that day. I would email amazon back and advise them to check to see if myhermes weighed the parcel at their central warehouse when en-route back to them. I think most couriers do. You've got your refund, but at least you can nudge amazon in trying to help find the culprit.
Edited by: "J4GG4" 13th Sep 2018
rastreet12/09/2018 12:04

Hi rastreet.
I tried to message you but you've disabled messages. Is there any chance you could message me the details of the email you sent to dgurr@amazon.com? I am in almost the same situation you were in, except Amazon is claiming to have received a parcel full of bin liners instead of a laptop I returned (also with Hermes). Any help would be much appreciated.
Matt
smuddybuddy204th Dec

Hi rastreet. I tried to message you but you've disabled messages. Is there …Hi rastreet. I tried to message you but you've disabled messages. Is there any chance you could message me the details of the email you sent to dgurr@amazon.com? I am in almost the same situation you were in, except Amazon is claiming to have received a parcel full of bin liners instead of a laptop I returned (also with Hermes). Any help would be much appreciated. Matt

Hi,

I wrote politely setting out my case and attached all evidence of the pick up.

I also explained that I had bought 500 items or more from Amazon each year for over ten years and had been a customer for about 20 years, without a problem.

I was then contacted by an Amazon CS rep who was very helpful.

Rich

PS I had also contacted my bank and had them stop the payment.
A big thank you to rastreet, harlzter and others for Mr Doug Gurr's details!

I had sent a phone back to amazon end of November 2018 and amazon claim they received an empty box. As others have mentioned, amazon refused any refund and just keep flogging you off to contact the police and then provide case details. Police won't open a case for things like this. They say its amazons responsibility to investigate and then report the crime if they believe someone stole it during delivery or at warehouse. Tried to speak to royal mail but they say amazon paid for the service so they should make the claim for loss. I've been going through stress for over a month trying to make them understand but keep getting the same emails "report to police and provide case details otherwise cant help". At this point i had almost given up as going to court would add further stress to my life, so had to swallow the loss.... until i came across this thread! Seems like many customers are going through the problems and not only me. I wrote a email with full details to Mr Gurr explaining that amazon are asking for case details which police cannot provide for incidents like this. A few hours later i got an email from his assistant saying he is looking into the issue. Later last night the assistant called me and apologised for what happened and he understood what position i was put in to and said a refund will be issued such a relief from all that stress!

Seems like a nice email giving full details of the issue with evidence to Mr Gurr has favoured many. Anyone else in similar problems, please write to dgurr@amazon.com

*I received an email & called from this person - Shashi Kiran R, Executive Customer Relations
Seems like there is a lot of high end value theft going on somewhere along the line with them when it comes to returns
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants