Expired

Amazon - should we all report to Trading Standards?

Found 27th Nov 2013
Pretty annoyed at Amazon at the moment - we all know about there business practices so there's no point repeating it.

Was looking at today's Black friday deals and saw this:
amazon.co.uk/gp/…img

Trespass rucksack, a new, or new url product for them, claiming a price of £44.99. Yet direct from Trespass it's under £20 with a was price of £44.99.

Whose betting Amazon use the £44.99 figure and knock a huge % off it for the deal.....

Amazon seem to think there too big and can flaunt/ stretch / manipulate UK sales laws at will. I say we all report em so please share any similar tactics below.
Community Updates
42 Comments
Original Poster
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91wnvs3yr-L._SL1500_.jpg

£44.99 now, black friday deal about to start.
I'm good thanks.
Banned
£44.99 is probably the RRP, theres no law against selling for RRP even if the manufacturer sells for less. If someone buys it and doesn't shop around for a cheaper one thats their problem.

There are guidelines on how long you have to have products at X price before they can be discounted, there may also be an agreement with the manufacturer that they (Amazon) have to sell at RRP.

Don't see the issue here or why you would want to make a complaint.
Edited by: "Holly1985" 27th Nov 2013
Banned
What trading standards rule have they broken?
Original Poster
You don't think it's misleading then putting a new product on the site at a value grossly over the market value in order to claim a huge discount in the Black Friday deal?

Suggest you guys have a look at the crucial SSD and other Black friday debacles that are going off.
I'm more concerned by you wanting a pink bag

I do think that Amazon are putting up false deals though.
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 27th Nov 2013
Banned
It's the RRP price it's not grossly over market value lol it is the price that is recommended to the retailer by the manufacturer, again there may be a contractual agreement between amazon and trespass that the product has to be sold at that price.

If amazon want to discount it for BF then they have to have a base price for a certain amount of months before they can discount, who knows it may go down to a fiver....will you be moaning then?no
I think you are the one who needs to check their info lol

Edited by: "Holly1985" 27th Nov 2013
Original Poster
Here it is live

Trespass Women's Apollo Rucksack
RRP: £44.99
Price: £44.99
Deal Price: £13.99
You Save: £31.00
(69% off RRP)

Sure it's a good price, I don't knock that but there claiming it's 47% off an RRP for a product they've only just advertised at that price. It's called misleading practice

Point 18 here
lawdonut.co.uk/law…aqs

Crucial thread here

hotukdeals.com/dea…e=2
Original Poster
Holly1985

It's the RRP price it's not grossly over market value lol it is the price … It's the RRP price it's not grossly over market value lol it is the price that is recommended to the retailer by the manufacturer, again there may be a contractual agreement between amazon and trespass that the product has to be sold at that price.If amazon want to discount it for BF then they have to have a base price for a certain amount of months before they can discount, who knows it may go down to a fiver....will you be moaning then?noI think you are the one who needs to check their info lol

RRP's? lol. Join the noughties buddy - you might have noticed that very few places use rrp's and for good reason - price fixing obviously being one of them. Read the link in my prev post, or be a sheep and trust everything your told.

Predikuesi

I'm more concerned by you wanting a pink bag :)I do think that Amazon are … I'm more concerned by you wanting a pink bag :)I do think that Amazon are putting up false deals though.

I'm rocking pink this year
Banned
I actually worked in retail and wholesale for 5+ years. I know how these things work. Go make a complaint to TS and see how far you get with it Please don't call me "buddy"
Original Poster
Holly1985

I actually worked in retail and wholesale for 5+ years. I know how these … I actually worked in retail and wholesale for 5+ years. I know how these things work. Go make a complaint to TS and see how far you get with it Please don't call me "buddy"

Read the link Holly, don't see why your taking this so personally. FWIW I managed 2 Panasonic Dealerships for a bit longer than 5years and can assure you that Amazon are flying close to the wind with there BF deals.

Take the crucial SSD - they've claimed a discount off an RRP that they've never sold the product at. Tell you what Holly I've got a great deal for you - how about a nice biro for 49p? It was selling for £9.99 so that's an amazingly big discount off it's RRP isn't it You want it? Quick you only have 15mins to buy......

I'm not denying caveat emptor but not everyone is as wary as most people here.
So Op, did you buy it from Amazon or somewhere closer to the RRP.
Original Poster
ScubaDudes

So Op, did you buy it from Amazon or somewhere closer to the RRP.

No, nowhere sells it at £45 - it's a spurious inflated figure. Had Amazon been honest and sold it for the £13 odd quid, saving 33% ish off a market value I might have but to be honest I'd rather deal elsewhere at the moment.
what makes amazon any worse than Trespass? they both are showing original price at £44.99 right?

in fact the Trespass store near me pretty much always has a "half price" sale on
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

80 euros here, which i make to be a lot more than … 80 euros here, which i make to be a lot more than £45http://www.trespass.co.uk/apollo-03186

Nope, £18.73 showing for me:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/51873072/apollo.jpg
A couple more examples

Super Bright 9 LED Mini Torch - Assorted Colours Single
by Jazooli
4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (142 customer reviews)
RRP: £29.99
Price: £1.50
You Save: £28.49 (95%)

Jamie Oliver by Tefal - Hard Enamel 28cm Frying Pan
by Tefal
4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)
RRP: £150.00
Price: £30.84 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details
Original Poster
athunder

what makes amazon any worse than Trespass? they both are showing original … what makes amazon any worse than Trespass? they both are showing original price at £44.99 right?in fact the Trespass store near me pretty much always has a "half price" sale on

Not saying they aren't - but i'd presume Trespass will have a store somewhere that sells there goods at full price in order to comply with the rules. They also aren't pressuring you with a 15min window on a claimed price that they've never sold it at. It's not wrong wrong but it's misleading.
Original Poster
lonedealhunter

A couple more examplesSuper Bright 9 LED Mini Torch - Assorted Colours … A couple more examplesSuper Bright 9 LED Mini Torch - Assorted Colours Singleby Jazooli4.3 out of 5 stars See all reviews (142 customer reviews)RRP: £29.99Price: £1.50You Save: £28.49 (95%)Jamie Oliver by Tefal - Hard Enamel 28cm Frying Panby Tefal4.6 out of 5 stars See all reviews (5 customer reviews)RRP: £150.00Price: £30.84 & FREE Delivery in the UK. Details

I saw the torch - iirc thats a marketplace seller? Please post links so we can camelcamelcamel them too.
Can't post pic's but if I could it would be this...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?safe=off&hl=en&biw=1280&bih=819&tbm=isch&tbnid=D3TGxZKq-pagjM:&imgrefurl=http://www.rockbackingtracks.co.uk/index.php%3Fmain_page%3Dproduct_music_info%26products_id%3D781&docid=0tv14t02qQ9SAM&imgurl=http://www.rockbackingtracks.co.uk/images/attributes/buddy-holly-1.jpg&w=400&h=400&ei=CtiVUuu7MeT5yAP72IEg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=395&vpy=475&dur=63&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=158&ty=128&page=1&tbnh=150&tbnw=159&start=0&ndsp=40&ved=1t:429,r:19,s:0,i:147
Edited by: "jmcderm1" 27th Nov 2013
capriboycraig

Nope, £18.73 showing for me:

Saying WAS £39.99 though. Ok its not £45 but close to it.
Original Poster
try

http://www.rockbackingtracks.co.uk/images/attributes/buddy-holly-1.jpg

Looks remarkably like a younger me
Edited by: "capriboycraig" 27th Nov 2013
I see a different price and saving. Can't see what the problem is myself X)

http://i40.tinypic.com/2zggt9x.jpg
Edited by: "simplyjimbo" 27th Nov 2013
So..
Amazon list a new item at RRP.
Amazon sell at a discount rate against RRP.
Buyer complains it is misleading as somebody else is selling cheaper than RRP.

This happens EVERYWHERE.
I went to Homebase today. They had a tap reduced from £50 to £25. (50% off).
It is £23 in B&Q standard price.
Shall I contact Trading Standards?

I think you need to re-think.
Edited by: "smashed" 27th Nov 2013
Banned
regatta
Christ.
Welcome to the wonderful world of NORMAL LIFE ONLINE.............
They had a ladies sekonda watch yesterday saying rrp was 59.99 and deal price of about 18 but they were selling all the other very similar sekonda watches for about 25 - 19 anyway none of them were the rrp prices.
Amazon has really **** me off this year.

I've ordered a few big expensive christmas presents and some genius thought it a good idea to just stick the label to the outside of the actual item and ship that. I now have a bd player with a ripped box from removing the label that the person it is for has seen and he has a kindle that was delivered that will probably have the same rip that I will be opening christmas morning as I was unlucky enough to see the post first.
Ungreat

Amazon has really **** me off this year.I've ordered a few big expensive … Amazon has really **** me off this year.I've ordered a few big expensive christmas presents and some genius thought it a good idea to just stick the label to the outside of the actual item and ship that. I now have a bd player with a ripped box from removing the label that the person it is for has seen and he has a kindle that was delivered that will probably have the same rip that I will be opening christmas morning as I was unlucky enough to see the post first.

That is really good on the environment. Well done amazon.
All this probably just bause you didn't get the 240GB SSD for ~£60.

Society going rapidly down hill with all this 'I want everything for nothing attitude and if I don't get it i'm going to sue you'.

If you like that attitude then America is only a short swim away
what a ridiculous thread. Capriboy, are you trolling? or just an idiot?
Holly1985

I actually worked in retail and wholesale for 5+ years.

gutted
Banned
Seems like a lot of fuss over a backpack.
DJ1

Seems like a lot of fuss over a backpack.

I think the OP has gone backpacking early as he is nowhere to be seen.
Original Poster
Towelie

All this probably just bause you didn't get the 240GB SSD for … All this probably just bause you didn't get the 240GB SSD for ~£60.Society going rapidly down hill with all this 'I want everything for nothing attitude and if I don't get it i'm going to sue you'.If you like that attitude then America is only a short swim away

Your absolutely right. Afterall what are laws and rules? Obviously there there to be ignored at will, that is of course if you have the right lawyers to fight your case.

I never asked for anything for nothing. I never mentioned litigation at all. I'm purely annoyed, like many, that Amazon can so blatently ignore yet more peices of uk legislation.

And for whomever wondering where I went - work was calling. I don't have all day to sit behind a keyboard going baa like the other sheeple.
Baaaaa!
Original Poster
smashed

So..Amazon list a new item at RRP.Amazon sell at a discount rate against … So..Amazon list a new item at RRP.Amazon sell at a discount rate against RRP.Buyer complains it is misleading as somebody else is selling cheaper than RRP.This happens EVERYWHERE.I went to Homebase today. They had a tap reduced from £50 to £25. (50% off).It is £23 in B&Q standard price.Shall I contact Trading Standards?I think you need to re-think.

Try reading the whole thread out loud. It might help your comprehension. It's not just the backpack. Once you've mastered that read the link to the advice to business in regards to uk unfair trading legislation.

If your still interested as opposed to being dismissive without gaping the facts go read the ssd thread in full.
amazon are awesome, cannot fault them, their customer service is fantastic

obviously the rrps are crazy, like 100% of rrps but I am aware of this so I don't get raged at them
Banned
upset brown pant

gutted

Yeah I know tell me about it worked warehouse and shop floor, long hours rubbish pay. working in online sales for a furniture company that was better though,more money,wear what I like ,sit on my bum all day and drink coffee
Holly1985

It's the RRP price it's not grossly over market value lol it is the … It's the RRP price it's not grossly over market value lol it is the price that is recommended to the retailer by the manufacturer, again there may be a contractual agreement between amazon and trespass that the product has to be sold at that price.If amazon want to discount it for BF then they have to have a base price for a certain amount of months before they can discount, who knows it may go down to a fiver....will you be moaning then?noI think you are the one who needs to check their info lol

Predikuesi

I'm more concerned by you wanting a pink bag :)I do think that Amazon … I'm more concerned by you wanting a pink bag :)I do think that Amazon are putting up false deals though.

Aren't we in the 10s now?

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants