Amazon UK - Absolutely terrible deals (sales)

I'm wondering if it's just me or has the end of this year sales for Amazon UK been particularly poor? I generally look forward to black friday, cyber monday and then boxing day deals and all the lightning deals inbetween but this year was a shocker.

Sure there were some decent deals to be had but on the whole, really bad. Not even the quality of the deals but the quantity also. Alot less lightning deals day by day.

Besides being obviously poor on the whole what drew my attention to this even more was I had been constantly following Amazon's deals elsewhere, especially German (Amazon.de) Now, these in comparison were spectacular, it's just a shame that there are restrictions of importing certain goods, Amazon.de lightning deals was what I was hoping (expecting) from amazon.co.uk.

Bottom line, amazon uk deals were **** poor. Amazon.de deals shat all over the uk deals and in style.

16 Comments

Banned

As long as I can pick up a copy of forza horizon 2 for under £25, i'll be as happy as a pig in ****!!

If you stay away and people don't buy then Amazon will cut prices to shift units, but as long as people Carry on paying silly prices then they will keep the stock at inflated prices. it is all about supply and demand. if you can sit on your hands then do so as Amazon will start to shift stock in January at massive reductions especially if no one is touching it. As next year it will be last years stock

Not seen anything I fancy yet

Hoping for gta 5 for the xbox one for cheap, no joy yet

Picked up a few blu rays from amazon just got all 4 of the Pirates of the Caribbean for £11 seemed like a okish deal and minecraft from Rakuten for £9 but you're right nothing fantastic as of yet.

Amazon have changed recently from being market leaders to market copiers, they spend their time matching competitors prices and relying on people liking the Amazon CS to get them the sale

benjammin316

Not seen anything I fancy yetHoping for gta 5 for the xbox one for cheap, … Not seen anything I fancy yetHoping for gta 5 for the xbox one for cheap, no joy yet

Try tesco groceries i got mine for £20 )

Dominatez

If you stay away and people don't buy then Amazon will cut prices to … If you stay away and people don't buy then Amazon will cut prices to shift units, but as long as people Carry on paying silly prices then they will keep the stock at inflated prices. it is all about supply and demand. if you can sit on your hands then do so as Amazon will start to shift stock in January at massive reductions especially if no one is touching it. As next year it will be last years stock

I don't know how Amazon operates its warehouses but I doubt they sit on enough stock to warrant a fire sale. They must have a sophisticated ordering system where they only have enough stock to fulfil the short-term demand.

If you sit on your hands then the only people who will start to feel the heat are the suppliers, and yes, that might also reduce prices but only if Amazon feel the need to snap up cheaper stock which isn't forecast to sell, therefore taking up warehouse space of things that actually do sell.

Original Poster

I still stand by amazon uk being naff on the whole but to be specific, the big ticket items, these were non-existent or just crap in general, especially when compared to competitors. Things like consoles, TV's and other AV equipment. They seemed to be clearing alot of pet and baby stuff, which to be fair, seemed ok but the mass quantities of it were ridiculous. Sadly half the time a lightning deal popped up a quick check with camelcamelcamel showed it had been significantly cheaper before.

Supply and demand doesn't really sum it up. No one was demanding mass quantities of crap deals, this showed by the lack of "100% claimed" this year and still now. I think before people have been caught out by the likes of "lightning deals" but I'm leaning more towards Amazon (UK) being caught out this year round.

Today lightening deals are almost identical to yesterday's blu rays are for sure.

Banned

I was looking at getting something yesterday, was £29.99, saw it was coming up in the lightning deals, so waited, went to 'save 10%' £31.50

For me this year all the deals were before christmas, it seems year by year 'january sales' are non existent. Maybe with the exception of the NEXT sales.

I predict again next year black friday, cyber monday will be twice as big as 2014 with all the deals coming in before christmas.

Actually seen prices increase

Was hoping they'd put the LG G Pad 7.0 on offer
Anyone know where to get a good deal on one? Seems like it's never on offer! (other than the £79 American one that's always on Ebay, but I'm not risking the warranty!)

Many modern large scale operations manage warehouse time and capacity by pricing. So if you have a huge number of orders coming in you start to price more highly to keep orders to managable levels and as orders reduce prices drop to increase orders in this way if you have 50 staff in a warehouse capable of 10,000 orders a day you keep adjusting pricing to get 10,000 orders per day. This means efficient use of staff and the warehouse. The best and easiest way to adjust pricing is on high volume and margin sellers. That way you still make good profits and its easier to predict demand as you adjust pricing.

In summary, the busier Amazon get the worse the pricing.

Original Poster

True enough, really sad though, as that's basically say that even in this day and age with the numerous tools at hand to the consumer people are still paying well over the odds for something when it can be easily picked up cheaper elsewhere.

Matty1255

Today lightening deals are almost identical to yesterday's blu rays are … Today lightening deals are almost identical to yesterday's blu rays are for sure.

The Panasonic blu ray they have on deal at £81 was cheaper on very by a fiver.not impressed with many of the deals anywhere.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Sad news about Barcelona2395
    2. Any Xbox One news today?2356125
    3. How dangerous is Donald trump?2289
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764158

See more discussions