Amazon wants me to sign a "declaration of truth" document????

Posted 11th Feb 2019
Hi guys,

I ordered a hard drive from amazon that was meant to be signed for when it arrives.

I live in a student house with around 12 people in.

When I arrived back from work and checked my Amazon, it told me that it was delivered. "Handed to resident", without any signature.

The next morning I tried to catch as many people as I could in the house to ask them if they received my parcel. Everybody said no. I called Amazon and explained to them the situation and how my parcel required a signature, and they told me that although it required a signature, the delivery driver did not get one from the resident they handed it over to.

After being transferred multiple times to different Amazon representatives, one of them sent me an E-Mail and told me to print out and sign a "declaration of truth" document that states I to the fullest of my knowledge do not know where my parcel is.

They told me they will launch a police investigation into the matter.

I don't want to say that my neighbours / people in my house are thieves as it may have been the courier delivery guy, however regarding the police involvement, will they come into the house and search everybody's room for my hard drive?

Will the courier person come to the house to tell me exactly who they handed the parcel over to?

If there is a thief in this house I wouldn't mind knowing exactly who it is!

All could have been avoided if the delivery guy just got the signature he was supposed to get!!!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
In future, look into getting Amazon deliveries sent to a collection point.
Police won't care about a hard drive going missing, they'll just give amazon a crime number and won't do anything else.
They are becoming a joke with all this now. I know they have to protect themselves against rippers but pay decent rates and employ couriers who'll do the job they are paid to do.
37 Comments
They are becoming a joke with all this now. I know they have to protect themselves against rippers but pay decent rates and employ couriers who'll do the job they are paid to do.
m1keyp1key11/02/2019 13:39

They are becoming a joke with all this now. I know they have to protect …They are becoming a joke with all this now. I know they have to protect themselves against rippers but pay decent rates and employ couriers who'll do the job they are paid to do.

exactly mate, my email even states that it must be signed for upon delivery.

Yet no signature from the courier!!

And now they want me to go through all the hassle of finding a printer and printing off a truth declaration and then sign it and then scan it and send it to them?? What a joke.
Dodger201911/02/2019 13:42

exactly mate, my email even states that it must be signed for upon …exactly mate, my email even states that it must be signed for upon delivery.Yet no signature from the courier!!And now they want me to go through all the hassle of finding a printer and printing off a truth declaration and then sign it and then scan it and send it to them?? What a joke.

I wonder if they are getting the courier to go through this bs to say he/she delivered it.
Police won't care about a hard drive going missing, they'll just give amazon a crime number and won't do anything else.
m1keyp1key2 m ago

I wonder if they are getting the courier to go through this bs to say …I wonder if they are getting the courier to go through this bs to say he/she delivered it.

Like, if it's delivered, that's fine, but at least take a name or a signature or something. The delivery guy did not take a name nor did he take a signature. So I'm left in the dark with maybe a potential thief in the house, a thieving neighbour or a thieving delivery driver.
winifer11/02/2019 13:45

Police won't care about a hard drive going missing, they'll just give …Police won't care about a hard drive going missing, they'll just give amazon a crime number and won't do anything else.

So just sign the document basically and get a refund or a replacement or something?

thanks
Dodger201911/02/2019 14:02

So just sign the document basically and get a refund or a replacement or …So just sign the document basically and get a refund or a replacement or something?thanks

Pretty much, your not the one lying anyway, you in all good conscience do not know where the item is.

Amazon may tell the police but most minor issues like that are brushed off by police these days, Amazon will probably just keep a record of it and if a pattern emerges they'll then do something. i.e. multiple items are missing from the same courier or from the same address etc.

At the end of the day it's amazon and the couriers fault this situation has happened by not following the protocol of getting it signed for
winifer4 m ago

Pretty much, your not the one lying anyway, you in all good conscience do …Pretty much, your not the one lying anyway, you in all good conscience do not know where the item is.Amazon may tell the police but most minor issues like that are brushed off by police these days, Amazon will probably just keep a record of it and if a pattern emerges they'll then do something. i.e. multiple items are missing from the same courier or from the same address etc.At the end of the day it's amazon and the couriers fault this situation has happened by not following the protocol of getting it signed for

Thank you very much, I'll just sign it and send it to them.
you don't need to scan it, just take a photo.
Amd as for printing just see if you can edit the document and add your surname instead.
Pretty sure a declaration of truth is similar to a statement of truth and has to be signed infront of a solicitor or magistrate. If you lie on it then it's lying under oath and the penality is pretty stiff. Saying that I've never heard of it being used except for housing. I call BS on this and think it's just a statement that be passed onto the police.
In future, look into getting Amazon deliveries sent to a collection point.
Contractually the merchant has not fulfilled it's obligations but seems a reasonable request to show good faith by the customer, although it does assume the customer has access to a printer / scanner / camera / internet (!). If I had access to printer etc I would have no issue with confirming I didn't know where the item was.
Yeah don’t worry about the police. they won’t do squat
Sign it.
a) there's no signature but there was sposed to be a signature
b) you have no parcel so it's 50/50 argue
next time leave it at concierge if possible.
Amazon left 4 parcels outside in my driveway behind some rubbish the other day.
Can I make a claim ???
Wouldn’t mind some cashback and extension to my prime as goodwill
DragonX11/02/2019 15:58

Yeah don’t worry about the police. they won’t do squat

Just out of interest, what do you expect them to do?
Jonny_K11/02/2019 18:56

Something rather than nothing. Sure, no one cares about a lost hard drive but if they won’t do anything about why do they even allow you to report these things in the first place if they have no intention of investigating?
These drivers need to do something very simple, take a photo of the person receiving the parcel, problem solved
esar13 m ago

These drivers need to do something very simple, take a photo of the person …These drivers need to do something very simple, take a photo of the person receiving the parcel, problem solved

Yeah then pixellate it so they can't be identified.
DragonX11/02/2019 19:14

Something rather than nothing. Sure, no one cares about a lost hard drive …Something rather than nothing. Sure, no one cares about a lost hard drive but if they won’t do anything about why do they even allow you to report these things in the first place if they have no intention of investigating?

They're obligated to record any offences that are reported to them but it doesn't mean they have the resources to investigate all offences with low threat, harm and risk that don't have a reasonable prospect of being progressed. You should contact your local MP and tell them you want them to put in a private member's bill to raise taxes so the police can investigate every crime.
Unlikely the courier will come back to the house, they are probaly bluffing about a police investigation also. Amazon and the couriers did not fulfil their part by getting a signature so you are in the clear. Just sign the doc and they should refund or send you another one. Might be best to use amazon locker or a trusted friend/relative elsewhwere next time
neilakabej2 h, 29 m ago

Amazon left 4 parcels outside in my driveway behind some rubbish the other …Amazon left 4 parcels outside in my driveway behind some rubbish the other day.Can I make a claim ???Wouldn’t mind some cashback and extension to my prime as goodwill

Think that'll be fraud, however I mean, not to encourage it but anyone could have taken your parcels.
Jonny_K11/02/2019 18:56

Come and raid the rooms in my house for the hard-drive. I wouldn't mind that tbh
Jonny_K11/02/2019 20:31

They're obligated to record any offences that are reported to them but it …They're obligated to record any offences that are reported to them but it doesn't mean they have the resources to investigate all offences with low threat, harm and risk that don't have a reasonable prospect of being progressed. You should contact your local MP and tell them you want them to put in a private member's bill to raise taxes so the police can investigate every crime.

Taxes are high enough as it is. The problem resides with the tax distribution. £13.8M of tax money was given to a ferry company who had no ferries in order to get ready for brexit. That’s just one example. But yes I do understand they don’t have budget for every case to be investigated. Though I’d prefer if they only accepted the small volume that they can investigate
Dodger201944 m ago

Come and raid the rooms in my house for the hard-drive. I wouldn't mind …Come and raid the rooms in my house for the hard-drive. I wouldn't mind that tbh

Good luck on finding a magistrate that would sign off on that search warrant.
DragonX1 h, 7 m ago

Taxes are high enough as it is. The problem resides with the tax …Taxes are high enough as it is. The problem resides with the tax distribution. £13.8M of tax money was given to a ferry company who had no ferries in order to get ready for brexit. That’s just one example. But yes I do understand they don’t have budget for every case to be investigated. Though I’d prefer if they only accepted the small volume that they can investigate

That £13.8m contract was cancelled btw.
I've never heard of a Amazon asking for one of these before. I wouldn't sign, would just escalate to CEO email first.
Edited by: "jamie15" 11th Feb 2019
jamie1511/02/2019 22:03

I've never heard of a Amazon asking for one of these before. I wouldn't …I've never heard of a Amazon asking for one of these before. I wouldn't sign, would just escalate to CEO email first.

Same here, I think they've got a bleeding nerve asking for that as it's clearly the courier that's at fault. I would email Bezos personally.
jaketheplumber12/02/2019 00:53

Same here, I think they've got a bleeding nerve asking for that as it's …Same here, I think they've got a bleeding nerve asking for that as it's clearly the courier that's at fault. I would email Bezos personally.

are you being legit? will he respond
Call the courier to the house again, line up all the people in your house (include some who don't even live there), then the courier can point to the person who "took" the parcel. Search his/her room, find nothing? It'l be the courier's word against him/her if he picks someone who actually lives there.

Okay scrap that idea

But if you have done nothing wrong i.e. legit don't know where the item is, then you have nothing to worry about.
Edited by: "Granite123" 12th Feb 2019
Dodger201948 m ago

are you being legit? will he respond

No, he won't be bothered to respond, he'l tell his minions to respond on his behalf
The police will definitely come round and search your rooms and find that tenners weed you’ve got. Then you’ll be all over the campus news, thrown out of uni and forever end up working at McDonald’s.
Check all your house mates eBay and gumtree listings
jamie1511/02/2019 22:03

I've never heard of a Amazon asking for one of these before. I wouldn't …I've never heard of a Amazon asking for one of these before. I wouldn't sign, would just escalate to CEO email first.

Good luck with the ceo email it’s just another bot that reply’s
MWC20121 h, 47 m ago

Good luck with the ceo email it’s just another bot that reply’s

CEO team are not great for Amazon, but they are still better than CS sometimes.
what did you end up doing ? my parcel was taken from my porch and now amazon is asking me to sign the same document. did it fix the issue? did you get a refund
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants