EXPIRED

Amazon Warranty vs Manufacturer Warranty

I'm looking to buy a monitor (Benq) which has a standard manufacturer 3 year on-site exchange warranty, retailers like Scan, Overclockers, CCL etc all state 3 years. Amazon however, have told me their manufacturer warranty for the monitor is only 1 year.

So, if i buy it from Amazon is the 1 year all I'll get or I can simply go to the manufacturer direct after the first year?
Are there any unforeseen issues with doing this?
Most PC hardware has multi year warranties these days, so how do other members get on when buying from Amazon and their mostly 1 year warranty policy?

Cheers...

9 Comments

No if the item breaks within the 3 years you send it back to Amazon. Many stores/companies try to fob you off by saying you need to go to the manufacturer. Problems don't normally arise by doing this however you did not buy the item from the manufacturer you bought from Amazon therefore the contract is between you and Amazon.

Its easier to send /take it back to where you bought it as a replacement can be sorted straight away, where as if you go to the manufacturer you need to wait till they fix it.

Original Poster

Thanks for the reply, my belief was the same as yours until I actually spoke to them about it.

After several email exchanges, Amazon are quite adamant they provide a manufacturer warranty for the monitor (and any other electrical device) for 1 year only unless specifically stated otherwise, whatever happens after that is none of their concern.

Some Googling revealed several people seem to have run into this kind of problem with Amazon 2 or 3 years down the line, and some have had to go so far as take/threaten legal action to get anything done. I would rather just go to a retailer who actually states the real warranty period from the off if it's not easy to get anything resolved with Amazon after a year or so.

I've emailed the manufacturer to see what they say about it. To be honest, I'm surprised by all this and thought Amazon would be at least on par with everyone else in terms of warranties.

I would forget the Amazon warranty as tthe Benq one is on-site, this means that they will replace it without you having to send it back first, they will send a replacement and the courier will take the old one back

Amazons guarantee is their own and IS ON TOP of the manufacturers so they can claim theirs is only for a year but the manufacturer can sit and tell you to go via the retailer, which is the correct procedure. Most wont though if you do contact them with proof of purchase.

Original Poster

What is throwing me off is they said it's a 1 year warranty as standard on everything and if there is any extra warranty with the OEM, they will make it clear on the page. If it doesn't say anything about warranty on the product page, it's 1 year, end of...

That made me wonder if they cut deals with manufacturers to offer lower warrantied products in return for a better deal or something.

If the 3 years warranty with the OEM is still intact, I don't have a problem, but the way they were saying things made me wonder if their warranty somehow overrides or replaces the manufacturer's default.

They can say what they like however another part of the Sale of Goods Act (SoGA) covers items for up to 6 years in England, 5 in Scotland (or vice versa can't remember) stating that they should be fit for purpose for a reasonable amount of time. If the fault occurs after 6 months the onus is on the owner/customer to prove that the item was inherently faulty i.e RLOD on the Xboxes and the problem with the 1st gen kindle screens. Amazon still try to charge people £40 for a repair (which is illegal) but because people do not understand the SoGA they can get away with it sometimes.

roycom

That made me wonder if they cut deals with manufacturers to offer lower … That made me wonder if they cut deals with manufacturers to offer lower warrantied products in return for a better deal or something.

Entirely possible. When it comes to manufacturer warranties they're separate from the legal responsibilities of the retailer (sale of goods act, items fit for purpose etc.) As long as the manufacturers honour any warranty terms they state then the actual warranty can vary.

In short, go and trawl the T&Cs for this warranty. That'll give you the information as to whether it's retailer specific or any conditions that might have to be met before it applies, as well as details on what it covers.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

Entirely possible. When it comes to manufacturer warranties they're … Entirely possible. When it comes to manufacturer warranties they're separate from the legal responsibilities of the retailer (sale of goods act, items fit for purpose etc.) As long as the manufacturers honour any warranty terms they state then the actual warranty can vary.In short, go and trawl the T&Cs for this warranty. That'll give you the information as to whether it's retailer specific or any conditions that might have to be met before it applies, as well as details on what it covers.

Thanks, what's annoying is the BenQ UK and EU sites are pretty awful and the only mention about warranty at all is in the online shop, simply "3 year on-site exchange". Other sites like Germany, USA, Canada etc make it quite clear about the warranty and have more information.

I've contacted both Amazon and BenQ about it, so we shall see what they have to say....

Original Poster

Just to update, I had a response from BenQ. They confirmed that they offer a 3 year on-site exchange warranty when the monitor is purchased from anywhere in Europe, regardless of the retailer and what they might say with regards to warranty period.

Sadly after several exchanges with Amazon, they couldn't (or wouldn't) give me a straight answer, which is strange considering their legendary customer service. It was them and the way they worded their responses that confused me in the first place...oO

Thanks to all those that offered advice.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Battery drain on iOS 111316
    2. Just an thought regarding Paypal1110
    3. Need help with buying a 4K TV for gaming511
    4. Any have any gearbest codes ASAP/advice on where to buy Xiaomi phone?67

See more discussions