Amazon wont take return of a faulty TV

Found 13th Apr
Hey. Just needed some advice.

In August, I bought a 55’’ inch LG 4kTV from Amazon.

Think it was a deal on here, sub £700, for a quality telly......(So I thought).

Anyways, for the past few months its been having sound and picture stutter issues during normal usage so I rang Amazon, as they have after product support for 12 months. Ran troubleshoot, reset, etc etc. And it didnt rectify the problem.

Guy said as the item is no longer stocked by Amazon they can offer me a full refund and arrange a return. I was unhappy, but said fair enough. Its not working, might as well send it back. The chap said Arrow XL will contact me in 48 hours to arrange a collection day/time etc. I said fair enough.
3 days passed, no call.

Rang back, they said we’ll raise a complaint and they will contact you in 48 hours. Once again, no call.
Third time, they repeated the above, once again, no call.

Now after 5 days I got back in touch and the Amazon rep said ‘dispose of the TV, and we will refund you once you confirmed its disposed’.

Anyone else come across this?
Community Updates
AskElectronicsTV
Top comments
So they offered you a solution so what's the problem?
17 Comments
Yes but not on a tv.
yep but slightly different. Bought a mattress that had great reviews and from the start I knew it wasnt right, they told me to call manufacturer for advice, they said try it for a few weeks, no better back to amazon who (surprisingly) they would send Arrow XL and refund - next day I got the refund but arrow XL never turned up for it. Amazon website saying its in transit and they reserve the right to charge me if it doesnt get returned - that was four months ago with mattress sitting in my garage
They have obviously decided it has very little value duff , often happens with Amazon . Tell them you have disposed of it (you'll need a death certificate !) when the refund is safely in your possession job done
Edited by: "rogparki" 13th Apr
LG TVs are cheap rubbish, it’ll probably cost them in the region of £60 to collect it and then money to dispose of it. It’s often cheaper to get you to dispose of it.
Just sell out for spares on ebay. If you get £20 for it it's better than nowt.
Why not contact LG get it repaired directly from them. Maybe once you have “claimed” you have disposed of the TV.
Do what deeky said, list it up on eBay as faulty. Do an auction, highest bidder wins, collection only. Or pricesavvy idea of getting it fixed.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Apr
Call LG support they'll have 12mth warranty and send a repairer out. They did with my tv. Didn't need to go through shop.
At times of issues like yours amazon cut their losses and tell you to get rid of it though not normally on something so expensive as they normally return them to the manufacturer. Just do what they ask and keep copies of the email, once money is in your account call LG as mentioned above.
pricesavvy2 h, 17 m ago

Why not contact LG get it repaired directly from them. Maybe once you have …Why not contact LG get it repaired directly from them. Maybe once you have “claimed” you have disposed of the TV.

Do this. No idea how you prove you've disposed of it though lol.
Are you sure it was Amazon telling you to do this?
When you rang them did you record your phone calls or at least keep a log?
If yes to both of them kiddy tell them that as it was unwatchable you have disposed of it - they aren't asking for any proof. I would be wary of contacting the manufacturer for repair afterwards though as I'm not sure whether Amazon would be informed if you took it to them for repair (by serial number etc), you don't suddenly want a bill off them for the full amount. Just cut your losses, play the game as Amazon have been fair with you.

Just my opinion and what I would do.
MR112312 h, 21 m ago

You dont often find companies asking you to destroy a telly that costs nearly a grand, and then just let them know.
mrty2 h, 25 m ago

Are you sure it was Amazon telling you to do this?When you rang them did …Are you sure it was Amazon telling you to do this?When you rang them did you record your phone calls or at least keep a log?If yes to both of them kiddy tell them that as it was unwatchable you have disposed of it - they aren't asking for any proof. I would be wary of contacting the manufacturer for repair afterwards though as I'm not sure whether Amazon would be informed if you took it to them for repair (by serial number etc), you don't suddenly want a bill off them for the full amount. Just cut your losses, play the game as Amazon have been fair with you.Just my opinion and what I would do.

It was indeed. They ring you on your phone from the app. I spoke to them about an hour ago, and they have said it again:
‘Please dispose of the TV, and notify us once its done and we will refund the amount back onto your card’

Had a email not long after to confirm the same.
KingNav36019 m ago

It was indeed. They ring you on your phone from the app. I spoke to them …It was indeed. They ring you on your phone from the app. I spoke to them about an hour ago, and they have said it again: ‘Please dispose of the TV, and notify us once its done and we will refund the amount back onto your card’Had a email not long after to confirm the same.

Please use some initiative, if they said all you need to do is Confirm it and your refund would be processed and you have doubts which you do then confirm it before disposing of it and wait till refund appears then destroy it. Atleast you would have the tv for returns if they say they never said that. They gave you a solution and you still contacted them again 🤦🏻 I can see why they failed to call you back now, they didn't fail, they probably found it very difficult to make you understand something so they decided rather its better to dispose of the item then have an awkward conversation with you but you still called them again
MR11233 h, 48 m ago

Please use some initiative, if they said all you need to do is Confirm it …Please use some initiative, if they said all you need to do is Confirm it and your refund would be processed and you have doubts which you do then confirm it before disposing of it and wait till refund appears then destroy it. Atleast you would have the tv for returns if they say they never said that. They gave you a solution and you still contacted them again 🤦🏻 I can see why they failed to call you back now, they didn't fail, they probably found it very difficult to make you understand something so they decided rather its better to dispose of the item then have an awkward conversation with you but you still called them again

I’m an honest guy. I didnt want to con them or something.
Or for them to have their TV back and not refund me for nothing.

Some of us still like doing the right thing, even when tempted not to. Just how it is I guess.

Thanks for your input.
KingNav3602 h, 31 m ago

I’m an honest guy. I didnt want to con them or something. Or for them to h …I’m an honest guy. I didnt want to con them or something. Or for them to have their TV back and not refund me for nothing. Some of us still like doing the right thing, even when tempted not to. Just how it is I guess. Thanks for your input.

As I said earlier Amazon are trying to help you they have messed you around so offering the easiest solution to avoid any extra hassle. Tell them via email you have disposed of it as requested ask if they can confirm you have been refunded and if you want to be honest to the letter take it to your local dump and let someone else fix it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants