Amazon.de shipped an order, then cancelled it with no warning

Posted 4th Nov
Hi,

Usual price error yada yada; I snatched an LG 29" monitor for 30 euros expecting it to be a price error, but to my surprise they shipped it and it got to the UK.

Unfortunately, London sorting centers being as effective as they are, lost the order and it never got delivered, so I re-scheduled, talked to the support team, they created a replacement order, and then all together cancelled the main order, the secondary ones and put fake tracking information as if I rejected the package.

Now my question is, moaning aside, what can I do to get this moving forward. To be clear, I would've had no issues with them telling me it was a price error, but they shipped it and broke my heart afterwards
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
Time is a great healer of a broken heart.
18 Comments
OllieSt04/11/2019 09:23

Play me the world's tiniest violin please
<all together>
...cancelled the main order...
</all together>

PS. "centres".
fanpages04/11/2019 09:50

You looking for a bunch of viola-lence?[Image]

It's Monday morning, don't be so harsh
MannyCalavera04/11/2019 09:52

It's Monday morning, don't be so harsh

The infamous German efficiency probably meant a few workers at Amazon.de were shot because of your complaint.
I've lit a candle for you.
Hope it all works out.
<FACT> David Cameron is in training to be the lead astronaut on Jezz Bezo's first moon mission <FACT>!
Other than that, I feel your loss.
I've not surrendered yet guys!
I'll call the citizen advice bureau see if they have any advice for me. Maybe a small claims case or something

As far as I know, if they despatch it there is a contract
Maybe they got your accounts mixed up.
MannyCalavera04/11/2019 11:32

As far as I know, if they despatch it there is a contract

Probably the most often quoted myth on this site.
Haircut_10004/11/2019 12:22

Probably the most often quoted myth on this site.

Reddit Gold for you sir.

PS. The cheque is in the post.
PPS. It won't come... if you don't lick the envelope.
MannyCalavera04/11/2019 11:32

I've not surrendered yet guys!I'll call the citizen advice bureau see if …I've not surrendered yet guys!I'll call the citizen advice bureau see if they have any advice for me. Maybe a small claims case or somethingAs far as I know, if they despatch it there is a contract

So if you go to Argos and get a TV for 39.99 instead of 399.99 because of a pricing error, then while they are bringing it from the back the manager realised the error and stops the sale, refunds you - you feel you have a right to the TV?
You don't own the product until you receive it and have paid for it. The contract is two parts - supply and payment. You paid, they've tried to supply and unable to do they have cancelled. That's what they will say anyway.
Ringfinger04/11/2019 13:31

So if you go to Argos and get a TV for 39.99 instead of 399.99 because of …So if you go to Argos and get a TV for 39.99 instead of 399.99 because of a pricing error, then while they are bringing it from the back the manager realised the error and stops the sale, refunds you - you feel you have a right to the TV?You don't own the product until you receive it and have paid for it. The contract is two parts - supply and payment. You paid, they've tried to supply and unable to do they have cancelled. That's what they will say anyway.

Supposedly they cancelled it, and I'll quote the email:

And I am truly sorry that tracking shows that you rejected this order.

I have contacted our carrier and they told me that they tried to deliver but you weren't at home and they asked your neighbor and he refused the item.

They then wished me a lovely day...

Listen I get what you're saying, but if you blame me for trying to get a good deal and defend the big company because it's fair, congrats for winning the heaven. One thing is the electronics store around the corner, another thing is Argos (not THAT big I guess) and a very different thing is Amazon. Amazon can kinda get done honestly
MannyCalavera04/11/2019 14:12

Supposedly they cancelled it, and I'll quote the email:And I am truly …Supposedly they cancelled it, and I'll quote the email:And I am truly sorry that tracking shows that you rejected this order.I have contacted our carrier and they told me that they tried to deliver but you weren't at home and they asked your neighbor and he refused the item.They then wished me a lovely day...Listen I get what you're saying, but if you blame me for trying to get a good deal and defend the big company because it's fair, congrats for winning the heaven. One thing is the electronics store around the corner, another thing is Argos (not THAT big I guess) and a very different thing is Amazon. Amazon can kinda get done honestly

I'm not blaming you for trying to get a good deal. I'd do, and do, the same thing. However, I'm just pointing out that until you have the goods in hand and have paid the price the contract isn't fulfilled. Much the same as you going to a shop and saying "I'll have that one"... Then as they wrap it you realise that it's not such a bargain and decide you don't want it after all. You don't pay, the contract isn't fulfilled.
I wish you luck, but don't expect too much.
As promised, or not, here's an update

I've contacted the European Consumer Centre; they've advised that there is indeed a contract to fulfil if the goods are shipped, however the retailer has two obligations and it's not clear if they have to go down one path or the other, or rather it's not really clear WHEN they have to go down a certain path. They have to:
1. deliver the goods
or
2. refund the goods if the above doesn't happen

Since in this case they alleged that the reason why they didn't deliver the item, or create a replacement order, is due to a lack of inventory, they may be fine, however I also advised that the refund was the last option and that I was more than willing to wait until the 19th for the goods. I think it's clear this is BS, but they've never admitted this was a price error, so I'll keep moving forward

I'm ready to accept defeat, but let's see how it goes...
Disgustingly vague response, but there may be a good outcome. I wish you luck.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants