Amazon's lightning deal "con"

Posted 9th Dec 2019
I had been looking for a while for a budget fitness tracker/heart rate monitor and last night thought about browsing the forthcoming lightning deals.

I came across one that was £5.06. At that price it was way less than my budget and I knew it wouldn't be very good but had a look anyway.

(Names of seller and branding of device removed as per HUKD mod request)

3359681-xUnkj.jpg
Yep, nothing great and not the best reviews, as expected, but then I saw just below the listing:

3359681-DVbAi.jpg
(Code and seller removed as per mod request)

What?? £5 off!!!! so £0.06 for it. I'd take one that has 15 minutes battery life and only does heartbeat readings twice a week for that price as a temporary device.

3359681-vcYFG.jpg

Anyway. I was going to post it up but we know what normally happens. It goes super hot, lots of people buy it and all orders are cancelled. I was waiting until it was shipped before posting the deal here.

Just after 8am I checked the listing and it was up to £10.99 with that promo code bringing it down to £5.99.

So, it seems highly likely the promo code was activated by mistake before they got to up the price at 8am. A total con where it's likely sold at £5.06 all year round, then adding a promo to try and sell it for more money by making people think they are getting a good discount.
Community Updates
Top comments
How do you know the promo isn’t all year round?

How do you know the price is £5.06 all year round?

How are you even complaining when you got this for 6 pence?
You paid 6p for a fitness tracker and you are calling it a con?
Sparkz2k1609/12/2019 21:36

Ah no. I haven't complained about getting it for 6p. It's simply a concern …Ah no. I haven't complained about getting it for 6p. It's simply a concern over Amazon's promo's. If i hadn't got it for 6p, I'd have looked, not bought it and not looked again. As I got it for 6p I kept checking as the plan was to post it here, so I saw it eventually become the price it was supposed to be.

I know that I've been drinking tonight, but I don't see what the problem is here
18 Comments
How do you know the promo isn’t all year round?

How do you know the price is £5.06 all year round?

How are you even complaining when you got this for 6 pence?
winzzz09/12/2019 20:56

How do you know the promo isn’t all year round?How do you know the price i …How do you know the promo isn’t all year round?How do you know the price is £5.06 all year round?How are you even complaining when you got this for 6 pence?

...What is "Sleepp"?
You paid 6p for a fitness tracker and you are calling it a con?
Ah no. I haven't complained about getting it for 6p.

It's simply a concern over Amazon's promo's. If i hadn't got it for 6p, I'd have looked, not bought it and not looked again. As I got it for 6p I kept checking as the plan was to post it here, so I saw it eventually become the price it was supposed to be.
Sparkz2k1609/12/2019 21:36

Ah no. I haven't complained about getting it for 6p. It's simply a concern …Ah no. I haven't complained about getting it for 6p. It's simply a concern over Amazon's promo's. If i hadn't got it for 6p, I'd have looked, not bought it and not looked again. As I got it for 6p I kept checking as the plan was to post it here, so I saw it eventually become the price it was supposed to be.

I know that I've been drinking tonight, but I don't see what the problem is here
You should have posted up as prime get shipped asap they dont usually stop them in time.
chimp14uk09/12/2019 21:39

I know that I've been drinking tonight, but I don't see what the problem …I know that I've been drinking tonight, but I don't see what the problem is here

Cannot see any problem either maybe just a boast about the 6p watch they never posted up ?
Pretty common for 3rd party junk merchants to give things away to build feedback. The expectation is you will give a 5 star review. Good xmas pressie for someone you don't like
Amazon and third-party sellers change their prices all the time. There are Facebook Groups and Deal sites that regularly share these misprices/glitches/clearance prices/whatever they are, but I wouldn't call it a "con". If anything, the "con" is on the sellers themselves, if it's a freebie or an item sold for less than it costs to post and pack, they're the losers.

Maybe the title of this thread is just click-bait There was another discussion a few days ago about "Amazon going downhill" when it was just discussing normal Amazon Warehouse practice - maybe they were new to Amazon Warehouse, or just wanted to shout about something on the internet.

If you think it's a con, why not cancel?
Edited by: "louiselouise" 10th Dec 2019
Is the issue not that the watch went up in price by £5 just as the voucher went live, so the voucher brought the watch back down to its usual price?
@Sparkz2k16

Not a con at all prices fluctuate all the time on Amazon as well as many other stores. This isn’t unusual at all.

Unless like you were activity tracking an item an item you are unlikely to know all the previous selling prices up and down.

With Amazon you have camelcamelcamel as a useful guide but it isn’t prefect as vouchers aren’t taken into consideration.

Many offers are never as good as they seem however on this occasion it worked in your favour.

Well done on your 6p watch

maybe next time give everyone else a heads up too
I know prices fluctuate on Amazon, but it's still misleading.

What was it the other day? Oh yeah, people saying that eBay 20% off selected stores deal is a con because many stores put the prices up just before the sale is live and many prices are more expensive than they were before. Wasn't the deal expired prematurely because of the amount of people saying what a ripoff it was?

I can't see the difference here. Yes prices fluctuate just like many other sites but promotions are supposed to make the item cheaper? Not whack the price up just before a promo is started.
Sparkz2k1610/12/2019 08:33

I know prices fluctuate on Amazon, but it's still misleading. What was it …I know prices fluctuate on Amazon, but it's still misleading. What was it the other day? Oh yeah, people saying that eBay 20% off selected stores deal is a con because many stores put the prices up just before the sale is live and many prices are more expensive than they were before. Wasn't the deal expired prematurely because of the amount of people saying what a ripoff it was?I can't see the difference here. Yes prices fluctuate just like many other sites but promotions are supposed to make the item cheaper? Not whack the price up just before a promo is started.

Same is everywhere pal !! I have multiple things on my eBay , Amazon and Argos wishlist . You can expect sellers to reduce 5-10% which is reasonable but offers like 20-50% is generally too good to be true. I bought an 3iPhone 7 from musicmagpie in june for £169 each inc.20%off (very good condition) . I still haven’t managed to get it for same price , no matter how much discount is offered by same seller . My point is it’s all just a marketing gimmick usually to tempt general public showing mega discount and increasing the price but for a BargainHunter (myself) it should be daily homework to keep up with the price
Certainly the thread is no clickbait.

One again why is it that the ebay 20% off deal is slated as a con because sellers have put the prices up just before the deal making it often more expensive than the original price. Yet something I'm providing evidence of classed as clickbait?

The deal I had was a glitch but it showed the way priced can and have been pushed at Amazon. Said watch should have been £5.06 usual price, then deal comes in pushing it to £10.99 but with a £5 discount code.

That is a con, not with the 6p I got it for (a glitch) but the way the deal was intended.

Same as many other deals. Not long back I bought some aftershave off Amazon. It was something like for example £50, 20% off. Making it £40. That was the all year round price as I've bought it on Amazon many times before.

When prime day came in, it was advertised as a prime day special at 25% off. Was this 25% off the usual price? No. It was an extra 5% off the usual discounted RRP selling price. In that incident there was of course an extra discount but not as big as the prime sale claimed.

"Con" definition is "persuade (someone) to do or believe something by lying to them.". Well this experience shows exactly that so no clickbait.
waterloo09/12/2019 23:05

Cannot see any problem either maybe just a boast about the 6p watch they …Cannot see any problem either maybe just a boast about the 6p watch they never posted up ?

Let's be honest. Why? What is there to boast about? I was awake when I saw the deal, I could have posted it. It's not like it was a deal I found too late to post here. If this was a fitbit for 6p or super cheap then yes I would boast. For a crappy temp use cheaply made watch, there's nothing to boast about.

I've just put proof there as I wasn't supposed to have the deal for 6p, yet a glitch made it happen, but equally that glitch meat I ended up seeing the exact intention of the "deal"
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions