AmazonSmile - 0.5% charitable donation back on eligible Amazon purchases

Found 3rd Feb
Someone at work mentioned this scheme Amazon runs called AmazonSmile - you simply shop on Amazon in the normal way but using the AmazonSmile link and Amazon will donate 0.5% of all eligible purchases to charity (several to choose from).

I know 0.5% doesn’t sound that much but if we can get everyone on HUKD to purchase all their Amazon buys using the scheme it could really make a difference (and for those posting Amazon deals to spread the word using their posts).

Just wanted to share the scheme as I hadn’t heard of it and think it’s an easy way to help some really good causes :-)
Community Updates
13 Comments
Nice gesture from Amazon. Now about that tax...
kruger987 m ago

They pay all tax legally due. It’s the governments fault that they can take advantage of low rates. Not theirs.
kruger989 m ago

Charitable donations that can be offset against tax ... what little they do actually pay
Do amazon match you donation out of their pockets?
Seems odd that you pay extra for your goods then they use your money to make themselves look good by passing it on to charities.
bluefish23035 m ago

Charitable donations that can be offset against tax ... what little they …Charitable donations that can be offset against tax ... what little they do actually pay

I agree but at least someone else is benefiting from Amazon's accountancy skills
For chrome users, there's an extension called 'smile anywhere' that will automatically redirect any Amazon link or URL to the smile one so you don't risk forgetting to go to the correct URL.
But the very site you're posting on won't they the money they rely onto keep the site going
A PR stunt by a firm that studiously evoids tax.

Its about time the Govt grew a pair and made the Corporation Tax payment a minimum of 5% of turnover. Maybe 5 is high but there needs to be something that stops creative accountancy
a loada ********, anyone, any org. can donate 0.5% at a snap of a finger without this Smile sign up, unless there is..wait..something that is not bleedingly obvious...to some; but I signed up anyway.

Why set up another programme, more bureacracy, another web site, another team of managers...when you can just sign 0.5% worth on a cheque, I wonder what the motive is....someone else is paying this 0.5%, all of us?
Edited by moderator: "removed swear word" 3rd Feb
ccnp3rd Feb

A PR stunt by a firm that studiously evoids tax. Its about time the Govt …A PR stunt by a firm that studiously evoids tax. Its about time the Govt grew a pair and made the Corporation Tax payment a minimum of 5% of turnover. Maybe 5 is high but there needs to be something that stops creative accountancy

From an Amazon prime user? hotukdeals.com/dis…202
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 46 m ago

From an Amazon prime user? …From an Amazon prime user? https://www.hotukdeals.com/discussions/amazon-prime-just-switched-off-auto-renew-2884202

Doesn't negate the point made, does it? Little bit creepy though.
MSK.1 h, 10 m ago

Doesn't negate the point made, does it? Little bit creepy though.

No,not at all. Just a bit of double standards
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants