Groups

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ v AMD Athlon XP 2200+

I have been offered a old computer with an AMD Athlon 64 3000+, and i was wondering whether it was worth replacing my even older computer, that has an AMD Athlon XP 2200+

Is there much of a speed difference between these two processors? I guess i will also have to install 64 bit Windows rather than the 32 bit i have installed

20 Comments

You don't NEED to use a 64-bit OS to use it, but it may help in the future.
    The speed difference will be there, but it might not be noticeable unless you use a lot of processor heavy applications.

Banned

It wont make too much of a difference. It depends on what the computer will be used for as if it is gaming you will have the option of playing some of the newer games that require a better processor

If its free, its worth upgrading, its a modest but worthwhile improvement. If its not free, its probably not, but that would depend on what the asking price was.

Banned

it also depends on the other specs of the computer as to whether or not its worth getting

Original Poster

jah128;2955126

If its free, its worth upgrading, its a modest but worthwhile … If its free, its worth upgrading, its a modest but worthwhile improvement. If its not free, its probably not, but that would depend on what the asking price was.

It is indeed free :-D It's mainly used for browsing, with occasional gaming of COD4 and other relatively low performance consumption games like C&C Generals

Original Poster

salder21;2955151

it also depends on the other specs of the computer as to whether or not … it also depends on the other specs of the computer as to whether or not its worth getting

I already have a better graphics card, an 7600 GS OC, and as the new mobo still has AGP, then i will be OK, likewise, i already have 3 sticks of 512MB DDR RAM as well to transfer into it, basically all i would be taking is the motherboard and processor

Banned

what about hard drive difference. yours might be IDE and the new one SATA for example

Banned

just checking that you have covered everything

Original Poster

salder21;2955216

what about hard drive difference. yours might be IDE and the new one SATA … what about hard drive difference. yours might be IDE and the new one SATA for example

That's fine as well, i have

IDE
    80GB
    250GB

SATA
    500GB

The new motherboard has the same as my existing, 2 SATA and an IDE :thumbsup:

Banned

sounds worthwhile then if its a freebie are you just going to copy any data from old drive to an external or to disk or something?

EDIT: oops just read ur bottom line

You'll probably need to reinstall windows mind due to the different motherboard...

Banned

Yo Jah... sadler you both are here to advise ... OP is in good hands then

Banned

ive posted a thread that jah might know something about for me

Banned

jah128;2955282

You'll probably need to reinstall windows mind due to the different … You'll probably need to reinstall windows mind due to the different motherboard...

yeh just install windows on the new hdd though and keep the data on the old one, just make it a non bootable device

Banned

salder21;2955333

ive posted a thread that jah might know something about for me

Thread, which one, where ?

Banned

new misc

It should be quite a big difference, maybe 50% faster.

Original Poster

The motherboard it is on is an ASUS K8N. Is this good?

I can do the new computers and the old computers but i never really got into this 64 scene so don't know much

EndlessWaves;2955924

It should be quite a big difference, maybe 50% faster.

Having a 50% faster procesor (even if it was) does not make the whole computer 50% faster.

My guess is you may only notice a 10% to 15% speed improvement.

guilbert53;2956149

Having a 50% faster procesor (even if it was) does not make the whole … Having a 50% faster procesor (even if it was) does not make the whole computer 50% faster.My guess is you may only notice a 10% to 15% speed improvement.

I meant overall system improvement, In the benchmarks ]here for example the 3000+ has the 50% lead over the 2500+. It'll be even faster over the 2200+ which has a slower FSB and half the cache.

Obviously you won't see any difference in playing back a DVD or loading a webpage.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …126297
      2. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread415714099
      3. Any PS4 News Here29213636
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2429

See more discussions