American Football or Rugby

Found 12th Mar 2011
Which is more challenging, requires
more athleticisim, brutal and more entertaining?

11 Comments

being based in rugby im gna obviously be biased, but there actually quite different sports in terms of fitness and ability, american football is played in very short bursts and has two different teams who rotate allowing for much longer rest periods

rugby is pretty much constant requiring higher levels of fitness i would say, there is also is padding and you are not allowed to take steroids which are a few differences but rugby i certainly wouldnt consider as explosive

it depends on which position you play but a rugby player would be fitter than an american footballer for me particularly if they were a forward

i personally prefer to watch rugby either union or league as you simply do not have the same level of breaks in play, ive also been broguth up on it so i understand it and feel more involved, but in terms of fitness and athleticism i think a rugby forward would win hands down.. while backs get to rest forwards have to scrummage, or ruck or maul (lifting in a line out is your biggest break) its pretty relentless work

but then a running back on steroids would be the fastest.. dwayne chambers tried his hand i believe lol

Original Poster

Hands down, always thought it was rugby, american football's silly with so much protection,

Can't really compare them they are two totaly different games. The only thing similar is the shape of the ball. I love NFL and Union, comparing the two is like saying who is the fittest Udo Bolts or Haile Gebrselassie, two great athletes in there own right.

Like everyone else has said - They're very different Sports.Rugby is probably way more challenging as most of the players will stay on for the full 80 minutes.Where in American Football they chop and change for different plays, so they get to rest at certain points in the game.

I wouldn't fancy wearing a helmet in the swealtering heat, mind you.

Banned

Americans find the idea of us playing something similar to American Football with no padding or protection as crazy.

i have to dislike any sport where players voluntarilly take a knee, throw the ball out of play, and run into touch so they dont take the contact... it just doesnt sit right with me, and all the whooping that goes on after a person has run like 5yards is so lame lol

American football is different at college level to NFL level. There are fewer players in a team and players will end up playing a lot more of the game. Saying that, I would still say rugby.

American football is different at college level to NFL level. There are fewer players in a team and players will end up playing a lot more of the game. Saying that, I would still say rugby.

habeebhaq

Hands down, always thought it was rugby, american football's silly with … Hands down, always thought it was rugby, american football's silly with so much protection,

Pretty much what I was going to say, you don't need protection if you are playing a physical game, just get stuck in and hammer the other team (fairly of course )

Having played rubgy with quite a few Americans, their comments are always in favour of rugby. I tried American Football, but to be honest it's boring to play, lots of doing nothing then quick bursts of play followed lots more of doing nothing.

Sloth/Mod

Has to be Rugby.

There is no challenge in American sports..........they make them open to no-one else so they can be 'World' Champions.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?1013344
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7771783
    3. life711
    4. Dr Who ..............CARE this thread may contain Spoilers.54847
    5. Upload Speed Test2540

See more discussions