Found 23rd Aug 2009
is it me or is American TV shows so much more funny than the English comedy?

1. Misc
  2. Movie
  3. TV
7 Comments

USA 'The Office' wins every award

Original Poster

yeah but for me its more, Family Guy, American Dad, My Name Is Earl, Scrubs, One Tree Hill etc, the ONLY english tv programme i like is The Bill.

Well no, because it's purely subjective. As obvious as it sounds, it may be funny or gripping to you but there is no universal rule in which they're measured and then stacked-up to one another. I think both the US and Britain have some incredible shows, although to be fair, the US has a bigger budget with many of their serials.

Original Poster

We_Are_138;6091640

Well no, because it's purely subjective. As obvious as it sounds, it may … Well no, because it's purely subjective. As obvious as it sounds, it may be funny or gripping to you but there is no universal rule in which they're measured and then stacked-up to one another. I think both the US and Britain have some incredible shows, although to be fair, the US has a bigger budget with many of their serials.

true, but i just generally find them funnier. With the UK comedy, look at Little Britain, that died out SO quickly, the jokes just NEVER changed and it just got boring after the first season... cant believe it lasted 3 seasons!

danny09;6091648

true, but i just generally find them funnier. With the UK comedy, look … true, but i just generally find them funnier. With the UK comedy, look at Little Britain, that died out SO quickly, the jokes just NEVER changed and it just got boring after the first season... cant believe it lasted 3 seasons!

Again, I don't mean to sound obvious but it's personal preference for the most part, however I do think dips in form or the kind of shows that are airing have an effect. I really don't like Little Britain, Bo' Selecta, The Katy Brand Show, Titty Bang Bang, Catherine Tate etc, but there are plenty of US sitcoms I can't stand either, such as King of Queens, The War at Home, Two and a Half Men etc.

The US seems to pump out so many of these shows (a lot of which are cancelled ridiculously quickly) that there has to be something that will suit everybody, if that makes sense. At the same time, the UK has a relatively low output in comparison and you tend to see one show (not episode) that runs for weeks before another is aired. When they're the type of shows you don't like then it becomes a ballache. I personally think there's a lull in the quality of British comedy (at least in sitcoms) at the moment.

I've gotta say I agree with the OP
the new english comedies are pants compared to the american equivelants.
British comedy of yester year is SO much funnier! things like open all hours, fawlty towers, porridge are MUCH better than the kinda c**p you get on tv today, like little britain etc.

Peep Show, Mighty Boosh, IT Crowd and loads more I can't think of.

As someone already said American TV produces so much volume that we just tend to get the cream of that over here. It gives a bit of a distorted view of how good their TV is.

Just thought i'd add for anyone looking for a funny TV show and likes things like Southpark that they should get hold of episodes of something called 'Venture Bros', makes me cry with laughter.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whatsup number, confused44
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    3. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    4. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21

See more discussions