Amex Car Rental Insurance

Posted 1st Jul 2020
Hey guys, just rented a car in Milan for a few days next week whilst on holiday. I’m new to the entire Amex car rental insurance as part of the Platinum Charge Card. Any insight into your experiences would be amazing!
Community Updates
Top comments
You’re travelling to a country that the FCO has advised all but essential travel to, ending up in the worst hit city in the worst hit region of Italy for a few days, where they are dishing out fines left right and centre for anyone who disobeys the vast amount of rules that each individual municipality has in place which can change on a daily if not hourly basis, from which on your return you’ll have to self isolate for 14 days in the UK, and you’re worried about rental insurance!

good luck is all I can say, and have a wonderful trip.
10 Comments
You’re travelling to a country that the FCO has advised all but essential travel to, ending up in the worst hit city in the worst hit region of Italy for a few days, where they are dishing out fines left right and centre for anyone who disobeys the vast amount of rules that each individual municipality has in place which can change on a daily if not hourly basis, from which on your return you’ll have to self isolate for 14 days in the UK, and you’re worried about rental insurance!

good luck is all I can say, and have a wonderful trip.
ArcadeAssassin01/07/2020 23:52

You’re travelling to a country that the FCO has advised all but essential t …You’re travelling to a country that the FCO has advised all but essential travel to, ending up in the worst hit city in the worst hit region of Italy for a few days, where they are dishing out fines left right and centre for anyone who disobeys the vast amount of rules that each individual municipality has in place which can change on a daily if not hourly basis, from which on your return you’ll have to self isolate for 14 days in the UK, and you’re worried about rental insurance!(shock) good luck is all I can say, and have a wonderful trip.

Whilst I appreciate the concern, you are a few weeks out on updates.

On the 3rd of June borders were open and quarantines lifted. On the 6th of July, the travel advisories will be removed. Flights have been steadily increasing in price and I expect this to explode imminently after Boris’s address on 6th July.

#YOLO
SexyKris01/07/2020 23:58

Whilst I appreciate the concern, you are a few weeks out on updates.On the …Whilst I appreciate the concern, you are a few weeks out on updates.On the 3rd of June borders were open and quarantines lifted. On the 6th of July, the travel advisories will be removed. Flights have been steadily increasing in price and I expect this to explode imminently after Boris’s address on 6th July.#YOLO

July 1st update from FCO - Italy still on list of all but essential travel.

Quarantine update some 7hrs ago - 14 day isolation period *expected to be relaxed for travellers coming from low Covid countries but will remain in place for high Covid countries (of which Italy is one) for the foreseeable* with a government statement expected around the 6th July to confirm this.

Add to this the walking on eggshells once over there as you will be watched like a hawk so you don’t do anything wrong is it worth it?

I’m all for opening up and think it’s gone on too long, but Italy so soon goes against all the advice. Like I said, I genuinely hope you have a wonderful trip.

Ps using #YOLO seriously undermines your otherwise valid argument.
ArcadeAssassin02/07/2020 00:17

July 1st update from FCO - Italy still on list of all but essential …July 1st update from FCO - Italy still on list of all but essential travel. Quarantine update some 7hrs ago - 14 day isolation period *expected to be relaxed for travellers coming from low Covid countries but will remain in place for high Covid countries (of which Italy is one) for the foreseeable* with a government statement expected around the 6th July to confirm this. Add to this the walking on eggshells once over there as you will be watched like a hawk so you don’t do anything wrong is it worth it?I’m all for opening up and think it’s gone on too long, but Italy so soon goes against all the advice. Like I said, I genuinely hope you have a wonderful trip. Ps using #YOLO seriously undermines your otherwise valid argument.

Psst - you overlooked the critical piece of information the OP posted. This OP has a Platinum Amex card

C&P from the FCO page taken 30 seconds ago - The Foreign & Commonwealth Office currently advises British nationals against all but essential international travel. This advice is being kept under constant review.

Unlike you, I am unable to wish the OP a good/wonderful trip. How many people (s)he is happy to see infected?

Whilst I appreciate the concern, you are a few weeks out on updates.On the …Whilst I appreciate the concern, you are a few weeks out on updates.On the 3rd of June borders were open and quarantines lifted. On the 6th of July, the travel advisories will be removed. Flights have been steadily increasing in price and I expect this to explode imminently after Boris’s address on 6th July.#YOLO

nothing is certain on which countries will be allowed, the rumours changed this morning, on Saturday the BBC had the Greek Tourist Minister on the news, they were on the "list" on Saturday and the minister said we dont know when flights will be allowed and could be a few weeks before we welcome UK travellers. It took till Monday for the government to say that Greece wouldnt be on the list until later in July.

Malta just been on the news saying they hope to be included in the annoucment tomorrow, when the thought was the annoucment would be today.

At the moment nothing has been announced and yes flights might be going but you could find if the FOC delays the annoucment that you will not be insured at all next week, even for cancelations.
Is OP Dominic Cummings? If so, rules don't apply anyway.
Edited by: "bozo007" 2nd Jul

And it’s because of ‘YOLO’, that you shouldn’t be taking unnecessary risks!
I've used the car rental excess insurance with Amex Business Platinum a few times (assuming the cover is the same on both cards).

As long as you have the invoices and turned down the rental companies insurance option, you should be covered.

Claims have varied from $800 to NZ$5000 and all processed and paid out without any issues 👌
ColourMeUnimpressed03/07/2020 02:58

I've used the car rental excess insurance with Amex Business Platinum a …I've used the car rental excess insurance with Amex Business Platinum a few times (assuming the cover is the same on both cards).As long as you have the invoices and turned down the rental companies insurance option, you should be covered.Claims have varied from $800 to NZ$5000 and all processed and paid out without any issues 👌

Thank you for this!
Back safe and sound, amazing trip.

If anyone snags a great deal on a trip, DO IT! Especially if you’re not in the ‘at-risk’ group or live with people that are!

Loads of families with young kids, any-who thanks for the concern!
Post a comment
@
    Text