AMEX My Essentials price hike!

11 replies
Found 10th Dec 2015
Anybody receive a letter in the post stating a price increase for American Express My Essentials insurance from £12.99 to £16.99 (30% price hike!) with the inclusion of a £50 claim excess from February 2016?

11 Comments

Yup I did. Good insurance though, easy to claim when i broke my phone.

Hmm, no not yet. If that is the case will they be removing the maximum 3 claims per year limit?

drasim

Hmm, no not yet. If that is the case will they be removing the maximum 3 … Hmm, no not yet. If that is the case will they be removing the maximum 3 claims per year limit?

Yes as long as you promise to look after your stuff.

Original Poster

£16.99 is pretty expensive now, considering the £50 excess included now. Any other alternatives?

Yes, I got the letter. Seriously thinking of cancelling now

Original Poster

paul555

Yes, I got the letter. Seriously thinking of cancelling now

Me too, Paul. You have any alternatives in mind?

I like this as it covers Jewell such as wedding rings, and even headphones, I agree, any alternative

Unsurprisingly the premium has shot up from the £9.99 it launched at, they obviously grossly underestimated the claim rate on this. At £16.99 I'm thinking of self insuring now, £200 a year will leave me covered for most possession after 2 years.
Thanks for the heads up on the £50 claim rate, I should learn to read these letters when they arrive!
Edited by: "billywhizz69" 14th Dec 2015

im looking for alternatives too. think bank accounts the way to go.

Looked like it was good coverage, not the same but if you were using it for phone cover, nationwides bank account has that included with breakdown cover, family travel insurance and more for a tenner a month. Plus there are often deals on quidco and also other cash incentives for opening accounts from the nationwide.

Edited by: "eslick" 5th Jan 2016

Has anyone found an alternative cheaper insurance provider?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Domain renewal36
    2. Removing Integrated fridge freezer22
    3. Should I upgrade to Windows 10?58
    4. Tomtop Xiaomi Mi A1 deal removed436

See more discussions