Amiga 1200

Posted 1st Dec
at the risk of sounding stupid...

it’s been like 20 years since playing it

how do I load games? am I right in thinking you just insert disk, and it will load immediately?

I don’t have to do anything in particular, right?

the insert disk screen is showing, surely every disk I own can’t be broken
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
Do you have a Workbench disk? If so turn the Amiga on with that disk in. Should boot to AmigaOS 'desktop' But if none of your disks are loading then sounds like a bust disk drive, although the disks may have lived out their expected life.
Edited by: "stubbadub" 1st Dec
Didn’t you have to type something like Load”” or Cload””
Been a while, might be wrong.
MadSkilzYo01/12/2019 14:34

Didn’t you have to type something like Load”” or Cload””Been a while, might …Didn’t you have to type something like Load”” or Cload””Been a while, might be wrong.

Not on the Amiga, if you had no disk in when powering on, it would just show the screen of the hand inserting the disk.
I still have my b2000 still not turn it on for over 20 odd years. Still have games i remember you just had to put in tge disk it loads.
Amiga will load a disk if inserted before turn on but if the amiga is already on then you should see the folder appear on the workbench. If not then either the drive needs a new belt or the head cleaning or the disks have failed over time
Edited by: "Liquidsky" 1st Dec
deleted1471098
It won’t load immediately. It’ll load about 10 minutes later
The Amiga 1200 I had used to being up a screen that told you to put the disk in, I used to hear it seek every 10 seconds or so, once you put the disk in then it would load (mine didn’t have a HDD inside so no workbench).
Edited by: "mds1256" 1st Dec
Remember a white screen with a hand holding a disk and a purple screen with an animation of a disk going in the drive. Best machine I ever owned.
yes I see the animation of a hand inserting a disk when I turn it on

I’ve waited about 2 minutes after inserting a disk, I do hear it making noises

I have a workbench disk, I’ll try that idea tomorrow

thanks everyone

I just need to get on champ manager
Depends. Some disks needed to be launched via loading Workbench first (mainly applications). Most though will boot from the get go (generally the commercial games). They can take anywhere between 10 seconds to a few minutes to load.

The only problem with floppy disks over a period of time is that they can fail to load, if they weren't stored correctly.
Tiny pieces of dust and mould can form on the surface of the internal disc which can make the disk unreadable.
Google it
Just emulate it.
Ferris01/12/2019 20:22

Just emulate it.

I don’t have a computer

I tried to do it on my fire stick , but just can’t seem to get it right
stubbadub01/12/2019 14:27

Do you have a Workbench disk? If so turn the Amiga on with that disk in. …Do you have a Workbench disk? If so turn the Amiga on with that disk in. Should boot to AmigaOS 'desktop' But if none of your disks are loading then sounds like a bust disk drive, although the disks may have lived out their expected life.

do you think if I bought a external disk drive, it’s worth a try?
Mendoza03/12/2019 15:26

do you think if I bought a external disk drive, it’s worth a try?

I remember the A500 would only boot from the internal drive, note sure about the 1200.

You're probably better off joining an Amiga forum and asking there tbh, most of response here (including mine) are based on memories from over 20 years ago.
When you turn on the power supply and see the Kickstart screen you should hear the disk drive slot clicking without any disk inserted. If not then that already is a clear sign of fault.

Upon inserting a bootable disk, try Workbench 3.1 disk or any single disk game floppy disk you have, within a couple of seconds of inserting it should start reading. If it stays on the Kickstart splash screen then there most certainly is a problem.

You could also try soft resetting the Amiga (Ctrl - Left Amiga, Right Amiga Keys) with a disk inserted to see if its just a stuck mechanism from years of none use, a few soft resets and read attempts might fix it.
you can emulate from a web browser. ive just tried battle chess that takes me back
file-hunter.com/AMIGA/
Edited by: "Luckyluke02" 3rd Dec
cicobuff03/12/2019 15:40

When you turn on the power supply and see the Kickstart screen you should …When you turn on the power supply and see the Kickstart screen you should hear the disk drive slot clicking without any disk inserted. If not then that already is a clear sign of fault.Upon inserting a bootable disk, try Workbench 3.1 disk or any single disk game floppy disk you have, within a couple of seconds of inserting it should start reading. If it stays on the Kickstart splash screen then there most certainly is a problem.You could also try soft resetting the Amiga (Ctrl - Left Amiga, Right Amiga Keys) with a disk inserted to see if its just a stuck mechanism from years of none use, a few soft resets and read attempts might fix it.

yeah the drive clicks when it’s first turned on

I think my workbench is 2.5

when I put in a disk the lights flash for a few seconds, but then it stops

I did try a soft reset, but I don’t believe I tried it with a disk in, I’ll give it a shot

it’s just so irritating that I’ve finally got it powered on, but can’t load owt
Mendoza03/12/2019 17:23

yeah the drive clicks when it’s first turned onI think my workbench is 2 …yeah the drive clicks when it’s first turned onI think my workbench is 2.5when I put in a disk the lights flash for a few seconds, but then it stops I did try a soft reset, but I don’t believe I tried it with a disk in, I’ll give it a shotit’s just so irritating that I’ve finally got it powered on, but can’t load owt

If it is an Amiga 1200 it should be Workbench 3.0/3.1, there was never a Workbench 2.5...there was a 3.5 but that was released well after Commodore's demise and required replacement Kickstart ROMS.

If the disk light is flashing and it is trying to read that is at least a good start, but ensure you are using a bootable disk in whatever collection of disks you do have.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions