Found 11th Jan
Looking for info on a hotel in March for two 18 year olds in Amsterdam, any recommendations would be appreciated please as I've never been. Would they be better in the city centre or near train station. Thanks.

1. Ask
  2. Amsterdam
5 Comments

Accomodation is very pricey in central Amsterdam these days due to low supply, high demand and Airbnb ruining the market there so they would probably find it cheaper to be in a hostel if they are hoping to stay central. Ive stayed at the Bulldog hostel in the past and thats central and not too pricey. Its usually booked well in advance for weekends.

There are decent (more) affordable hotels nearby in Sloterdijk which is only a mile or two out of town and only 5 mins away by train. Otherwise the cheaper city centre hotels will be in the south side of the city near the museums.

As ever, use screenscraper sites to compare hotel prices - Trivago, skyscanner hotels, hotelscomparison, travelsupermarket for the dates and youll get a decent idea of prices. Quidco/Topcashback are also worth looking at as they offer decent cashback rates.

Have a look at airbnb.com depending on budget

I booked my daughter and her friend a room on the 'Amicitia' a boat hostel near the centre, which was fairly cheap & they loved it.
Another time I rented a houseboat in north Amsterdam through airbnb. That was good too as you get a free ferry from the central station, then a 15 minute cycle (they lent us free bikes). Very quiet area but dead close to the centre.

Original Poster

Thank you all so much just what I was looking for. x

Go on Google maps and find out where the hotels are. Get a feel for where they are in relation to the centre (as that is where all the fun is). I decided that I would be happy to walk 40mins to the centre every day or get the tram that takes 10mins. The tram is very efficient and goes everywhere. Look up how to use the tram and you can stay anywhere. I have found lots of hotels/B&Bs to be excellent value for money if you stay around 40mins walk from the centre (I was near Heineken Museum last time I went). £20 a night is easy especially if you share a room.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition59608
    2. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers11
    3. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums33
    4. Win a Mama to Bee necklace from Blooming Lovely Jewellery, worth £249! @ Ne…33

See more discussions