Expired

An alternative word for Blog?

Found 23rd May 2014
I'm trying to find a good name for a section of a website that has short pieces of opinions and general stuff that people may find interesting. In essesnce, its a blog. But the target audience won't know what a blog is or what that word means.

Can anyone help me out and think of an alternative name for a blog? Something that will make people understand its a section of stuff just for information purposes and entertainment. So far I have eliminated 'journal' and 'diary' because its neither of those, but neither it is any kind of reference to be given a formal name like 'resources'.

HUKD called one section as "Misc" but that is for random stuff. This is not random stuff, but its personal opinions and thoughts and ideas. Bit stuck on this....
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
deleted79467
sounds like an editorial
Op-ed?
Just cut out the L
mattmerch

sounds like an editorial

It is, but Editorial sounds too formal again. A blog is basically opinions... so maybe just Opinions?
Discussion
What others are saying
Also in the news
Also on this topic
Other peoples thoughts

Depends what the site's about really for what exactly you call it.
What is your audience? Without knowing why blog is unknown it's hard to suggest other things. Appropriate words will be different depending on whether you're writing for foreign language students, people with learning difficulties, people more used to older technology or something else entirely.

In a newspaper sense you could use Column/Columns, but if you've got an under 30 audience that may not be that transparent. Rants would work for a British audience, but might be too colloquial for a foreign one. Commentary is self-explanatory but would be confusing if the site is related to events. Shorts, in the film sense, might catch attention, but isn't ideal if your audience may struggle to navigate the site.

Other suggestions:
Thoughts
Thought of the Day/Week
Cubed's Corner
The Lighter Side
Curiosities (things people find interesting)
Words
More Words

Have you looked around at other things your target audience may be exposed to and see what they use? Whether it's websites, magazines, radio stations or anywhere else there may be people sharing opinions.
EndlessWaves

What is your audience? Without knowing why blog is unknown it's hard to … What is your audience? Without knowing why blog is unknown it's hard to suggest other things. Appropriate words will be different depending on whether you're writing for foreign language students, people with learning difficulties, people more used to older technology or something else entirely.In a newspaper sense you could use Column/Columns, but if you've got an under 30 audience that may not be that transparent. Rants would work for a British audience, but might be too colloquial for a foreign one. Commentary is self-explanatory but would be confusing if the site is related to events. Shorts, in the film sense, might catch attention, but isn't ideal if your audience may struggle to navigate the site.Other suggestions:ThoughtsThought of the Day/WeekCubed's CornerThe Lighter SideCuriosities (things people find interesting)WordsMore WordsHave you looked around at other things your target audience may be exposed to and see what they use? Whether it's websites, magazines, radio stations or anywhere else there may be people sharing opinions.

Wow that's really helpful thank you so much! I also thought I could call it a Hangout but Google may sue me over that. Its a general public information section where others can contribute through their own articles and observations. Its also for an international audience.
we would call it Ramblings. before blog became the internet invented word.
News and Views?
your thoughts
a forum?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants