Groups

An American Company in Small Claims Court?

You may remember my previous thread about STEAM - hotukdeals.com/mis…72/

Well I thought all was going well, but then paypal decided to withdraw the funds i sent to steam to fix the problem and put them back into my account and close the dispute which now means, according to the guy who replied to my steam support ticket, That there is no way of me getting my account back....

A quick question to all you clever clogs out there, Is it possible to take an american based company to small claims court? as £300ish on games is a lot and i really cant afford to have to buy back the games ( not that i would buy them all again....)

Cheers

Daniel.

8 Comments

Banned

why did you send steam money to fix something?
    why did paypal withdraw that payment and send back to you?

once answered those itl make it a little clearer

Original Poster

They have disabled my account as they had a dispute with paypal because it seems paypal couldnt get £5 out of my bank ( bank refused it, i have plenty of money in there )

So i phoned paypal, sent the money to some address they gave me, and they said it would be released to steam instantly.

Checked today, they have taken the money back off steam because steam didnt reply quick enough to confirm that i had "received the goods" - Those are the words of the guy i spoke to from paypal.

Is that what you needed?

One word. No.

Banned

Lord Darkness

They have disabled my account as they had a dispute with paypal because … They have disabled my account as they had a dispute with paypal because it seems paypal couldnt get £5 out of my bank ( bank refused it, i have plenty of money in there )So i phoned paypal, sent the money to some address they gave me, and they said it would be released to steam instantly.Checked today, they have taken the money back off steam because steam didnt reply quick enough to confirm that i had "received the goods" - Those are the words of the guy i spoke to from paypal.Is that what you needed?

sounds messy, couldnt you steer away from paypal and contact steam ina way to pay them directly for whatever has gone wrong.

not sure you can use small claims with over seas company

Original Poster

I've been told by steam that I had to pay using paypal - but when I did I just had the money sent back to me....:/

Banned

Lord Darkness

I've been told by steam that I had to pay using paypal - but when I did I … I've been told by steam that I had to pay using paypal - but when I did I just had the money sent back to me....:/

thats odd, not sure why there saying has to be paypal as they use other payment options.

not sure what you can do apart from talk to steam again and work something different out as ive heard their support is really good

Edited by: "HybridTheory" 27th Mar 2011

Original Poster

They take a while to reply, but the support i have required in the past is pretty good which is why i want to give them a chance to sort it out, but im just keeping my options open

Banned

If they have no office in england or wales then it will be imposable to take them to the SCC...if they do have an office here then they are governed by the laws of the country they are trading in and you could in theory sue them here.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card11
      2. wharf comp - win a michael grant watch - email entry only11
      3. computer active mag comp - win one of two y-cam protect alarm systems worth…44
      4. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578

See more discussions