An exercise bike that generates electricity for your home.

Edited by:"SOUTHWALES"Found 17th Sep 2017
I always wondered why someone has not invented an exercise bike that could be connected to your home supply like solar panels are, the energy is just wasted otherwise, it would surely be a win win, the family my can get healthy why helping to reduce there energy bills. Washing machines and tumble dryer is going and you could jump on the bike for 30 mins and stop pulling all that energy of the grid. Even tell the kids if you want to go on the Xbox you have to peddle the bike for 30mins to contribute towards the electric you will use later on, Just like solar panels you could maybe even reverse your meter so when you use the energy later on that evening it brakes even.

Also we should put hundreds of them in prisons, they could become the new nuclear free power stations, refuse to peddle and no privileges.

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
32 Comments

Now you mention I can't believe this hasn't already been invented, you best be quick and secure a patent...
Edited by: "madridpaid_the_referee" 17th Sep 2017

Original Poster

I will, I'm going to call it the home energy bike, HEB for short.

I've thought this too. Surely gyms could really take advantage of this.

Don't think i'd have the energy for all that

Already been tried but it wasn't a success, unfortunately it only works if you have a mullet :
instructables.com/id/…ke/

They had one in Soylent Green

32008575-3FNRQ.jpg

themachman14 m ago

They had one in Soylent Green [Image]

yes this was on film 4 last night, im not looking forward to the year 2022 if is going to be like this.

but the idea is not so daft noawadys since led bulbs , recharable hoovers ,laptops and microwaves etc use a lot less power than the older tech.

but once very high effeicency solar panels can be made cheaply, that will provide a lot of cheap power.

Some has already thought of it and put it into practice: dailymail.co.uk/new…tml

Didn't James May use one in Top Gear to charge an electric car?. He pedaled for about 3 hours and it gave him enough charge for about a mile lol. You might generate enough energy for a cup of tea.

Powering a house on pedal power,

Already been done in prisons,

bbc.co.uk/new…820
Edited by: "shadey12" 17th Sep 2017

On yer bike!
Edited by: "Predikuesi" 17th Sep 2017

Ones in my gym have a USB and you can charge your phone while you peddle. I think they're Reebok ones

You really don't get out as much as you think you will. Maybe 100-150watts at best, enough for low power devices and maybe the tv for an hour but it is never going to power the washing machine unless you have a family of ten.

Putting them in prison is such a good idea.
Maybe as a community service punishment too.

summerof7613 h, 46 m ago

And here's me thinking you like a good long ride

^^I had too - you left it wide open^^^.....oooops

I know.... below (soon) you'll find my normal troll who still cannot work out that they've been on my ignore list for (I won't say decades but it just feels like it) a long, long time

shadey127 h, 49 m ago

Have a cigarette/accessory plug on your …Have a cigarette/accessory plug on your bike,http://www.econvergence.net/category-s/1822.htm

The old dynamo......

philphil6126 m ago

The old dynamo......

Yep, you could be seen as long as you were going fast enough.
Who would have thought you could sell them for $159.

philphil6152 m ago

And here's me thinking you like a good long ride^^I had too - you left it …And here's me thinking you like a good long ride^^I had too - you left it wide open^^^.....oooops I know.... below (soon) you'll find my normal troll who still cannot work out that they've been on my ignore list for (I won't say decades but it just feels like it) a long, long time

On yer Bike mate

Wikipedia says 75w from 8 hours of peddling by a fit peddler. So 50w for real people (optimistic even), so for 8 hours of peddling you can run an 100w bulb for 30minutes.

philphil611 h, 35 m ago

The old dynamo......

God remember them!!! never worked in the rain as it just slipped and the sidewall of your tyre always went before your tread!!!
32012815-6ClHE.jpg

Destard2 h, 26 m ago

Putting them in prison is such a good idea.Maybe as a community service …Putting them in prison is such a good idea.Maybe as a community service punishment too.

The energy generated could be used to zap pedophile/rapist's/murderers and terrorists.

themachman1 h, 54 m ago

God remember them!!! never worked in the rain as it just slipped and the …God remember them!!! never worked in the rain as it just slipped and the sidewall of your tyre always went before your tread!!! [Image]

Do you still ride that bike ???

themachman2 h, 30 m ago

God remember them!!! never worked in the rain as it just slipped and the …God remember them!!! never worked in the rain as it just slipped and the sidewall of your tyre always went before your tread!!! [Image]

Terrible idea because if you stop pedalling your light goes out

What a coincidence! Was discussing this very idea with my husband this afternoon! I think it's a great idea!

themachman3 h, 46 m ago

I had one as a kid as well terrible things
what kester76said

The BBC did a show where they had a team of cyclists powering a house for a day, youtu.be/C93…VIM

summerof7617th Sep

this. OP, it would take a lot of peddling power to provide enough electricity for a house. i went to a museum, in Devon I think, and it had steps where prisoners in Victorian times had to step on and off to power the washing and they did not get their food rations if they refused to do the steps.

Nasty but may deter people from committing crime if they know they have to do the washing. lol.

I would imagine cause it'd be like solar panels, the energy generated would go to the grid and not your house which is bs

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions