An extra cost of gloss for door showing sanding scratches?

Found 9th Apr
Hi I re-painted my door yesterday with Johnstone's professional gloss. To prep I sanded it down with 80 grit and washed it with sugar soap. once dry I applied the cost. Looked great at first but now it is dry I can see all the scratch marks from.sanding. Is there any way I can rectify this, a second coat of gloss?
Cheers
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted1597344
What do you expect if you finished in an 80grit ? You should have finished it in something like a 240 to be honest. May be worth giving a 2/3rd coat but you may end up starting again.
12 Comments
Yes worth a try- even possibly a 3rd coat!
Sounds like you’ve did the prep work fine.
jsophiex21 m ago

Yes worth a try- even possibly a 3rd coat! Sounds like you’ve did the prep …Yes worth a try- even possibly a 3rd coat! Sounds like you’ve did the prep work fine.

Thanks, can I paint straight over the gloss though?
aydenthelion1 m ago

Thanks, can I paint straight over the gloss though?

You can, but worth giving it a light sanding with some fine sandpaper before you do. Just so the next layer has a key to bite on.
deleted1597344
What do you expect if you finished in an 80grit ? You should have finished it in something like a 240 to be honest. May be worth giving a 2/3rd coat but you may end up starting again.
Do another coat, I always find an electric radial sander works much better and uniform, than anything by hand. Another coat should patch it up I think.
deleted15973449th Apr

What do you expect if you finished in an 80grit ? You should have finished …What do you expect if you finished in an 80grit ? You should have finished it in something like a 240 to be honest. May be worth giving a 2/3rd coat but you may end up starting again.

Not a DIY expert sorry lol.. I'll give it a light sand and with a finer grit and try again and with a second coat how long should I wait to sand to prevent peeling? Was done yesterday and 3pm Thanks for all the help
jsophiex1 h, 54 m ago

Yes worth a try- even possibly a 3rd coat! Sounds like you’ve did the prep …Yes worth a try- even possibly a 3rd coat! Sounds like you’ve did the prep work fine.

Regret to say that this is not good feedback but does reflect what paint manufacturers try to kid people is going to work. In woodwork, 90% of the effort is in preparation when the result looks perfect. All too often, 90% of the effort goes in painting and the result is uneven. As Airbus said, 80 grit is far too coarse to be finishing with and as dannyrorbbo says, an electric sander gives a better overall result.

If you have the time and the inclination, wait for this coat to dry thoroughly (14 days or more) and then use a sander with fine paper to achieve the smooth finish you desire, then paint using good quality hair brushes. You can roller gloss on (small fluffy roller) but it will always look better if finished by brush. When painting, apply the paint in one direction and then work at 90 degree to achieve a uniform spread. Finish in the direction that best suits the light that falls on the surface.

OR do as most of us do. Paint it to clean it up and forget it. You can only see the blemishes because you care enough to look and have great pride in the finish today. In a few days, you won't even notice the marks.
ccnp25 m ago

Regret to say that this is not good feedback but does reflect what paint …Regret to say that this is not good feedback but does reflect what paint manufacturers try to kid people is going to work. In woodwork, 90% of the effort is in preparation when the result looks perfect. All too often, 90% of the effort goes in painting and the result is uneven. As Airbus said, 80 grit is far too coarse to be finishing with and as dannyrorbbo says, an electric sander gives a better overall result.If you have the time and the inclination, wait for this coat to dry thoroughly (14 days or more) and then use a sander with fine paper to achieve the smooth finish you desire, then paint using good quality hair brushes. You can roller gloss on (small fluffy roller) but it will always look better if finished by brush. When painting, apply the paint in one direction and then work at 90 degree to achieve a uniform spread. Finish in the direction that best suits the light that falls on the surface.OR do as most of us do. Paint it to clean it up and forget it. You can only see the blemishes because you care enough to look and have great pride in the finish today. In a few days, you won't even notice the marks.

Ok, sorry. No expert.
80 grit is a bit coarse, try 240 or higher wet and dry paper before recoating.
Did you put a primer on, just out of interest?
No, just painting over existing gloss after I did the prep work
snoopy1815 m ago

Did you put a primer on, just out of interest?

aydenthelion6 m ago

No, just painting over existing gloss after I did the prep work

Thanks, reason I ask is I have mine to do soon
Edited by: "snoopy18" 9th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants