An item I bought from Boots has been reduced significantly... can I return it for a refund then buy it again at the lower price?

Found 29th Dec 2015
Hubby bought me a fragrance set for £99 in Boots, it is now reduced by £34. I have not opened it. Can we return it for full refund with the receipt and then just buy it at the lower price..... in the same transaction even? Or does anyone at Boots see the sense and can just refund the price difference? Thoughts on this thanks!
Community Updates
39 Comments
Yes as long as it's unopened and still in an unused resellable condition, you have upto 28 days.

This was taken from the Boots website.
Original Poster
I know I can return for full refund surely without any bother.....but there may be no other sets identical to this one in the store and I will then want to buy it again.....

I actually want to be honest with them - refund the price paid and buy at the current price!
ellie27

I know I can return for full refund surely without any bother.....but … I know I can return for full refund surely without any bother.....but there may be no other sets identical to this one in the store and I will then want to buy it again..... I actually want to be honest with them - refund the price paid and buy at the current price!

Honest would be not ripping you off by 200%.
Being honest would be telling them that you are upset with the massive price drop. Take a credit note or refund and buy what you like, you do not have to tell them what you will use it for.
Otherwise, you risk them saying no...

Edited by: "scottswaha" 29th Dec 2015
Have relatives that work for them and they said they wouldn't refund you the difference on the set, but would give you a full refund. You could then buy it online or with a different cashier in the shop, if they have any in stock of course :-)
Lots of stores will not put a returned product back on the shelf immediately or allow you to buy back the product straight away, to discourage this. Of course, even if it is store policy if you get a nice enough person at the till anything's possible!
Edited by: "eayragt" 29th Dec 2015
if it's no longer in stock, and you do really want it- just keep it. this is what happens in the sales. you snooze, you lose. plus, what's to say there were any sets left when the sale began? sometimes websites just wind you up by dropping the price further and further when none were in stock initially (..cough..Tesco Direct)
Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid, unless it's defective.
if you have the receipt hold on to it order another online at discounted price once it arrives take one back to the shop with original receipt with higher price they will refund you...thats what I would do.
Edited by: "ac12" 29th Dec 2015
you could buy the new one discounted then take this one back for a refund.
don't bother with asking for the difference, i already tried that with argos and got a definate no.
jamieb193

Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not … Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid, unless it's defective.

thats nonsense, and illegal
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Dec 2015
chocci

I think they can only do that if you don't have the receipt
chocci

No it isn't illegal. Stores don't even have to accept a return for items bought in store unless they are faulty. I work in retail myself and know the ins and outs. It's my job to do so.

If you can point me to the act or statute that states it's illegal to refund items at the current price then I'll happily read it.
we take it for granted that we are entitled to a refund but only the big stores are good at accepting returns. buy from small independent shops and you have very little chance of getting your money back even if the items are faulty.

you would have to take them to the small claims court but that would be a waste of time if the items are of small value. always buy from large retailers if the price is similar as you have better customer service and guarantees for refund when the goods are faulty.
jamieb193

No it isn't illegal. Stores don't even have to accept a return for items … No it isn't illegal. Stores don't even have to accept a return for items bought in store unless they are faulty. I work in retail myself and know the ins and outs. It's my job to do so. If you can point me to the act or statute that states it's illegal to refund items at the current price then I'll happily read it.

jamieb193

No it isn't illegal. Stores don't even have to accept a return for items … No it isn't illegal. Stores don't even have to accept a return for items bought in store unless they are faulty. I work in retail myself and know the ins and outs. It's my job to do so. If you can point me to the act or statute that states it's illegal to refund items at the current price then I'll happily read it.

In this case, Boots would have to give a full refund. It's part of their returns policy so they would have to honour it. If they offered the new, reduced price as a refund, that would also be a breach in their own T & C's
mutley1

we take it for granted that we are entitled to a refund but only the big … we take it for granted that we are entitled to a refund but only the big stores are good at accepting returns. buy from small independent shops and you have very little chance of getting your money back even if the items are faulty.you would have to take them to the small claims court but that would be a waste of time if the items are of small value. always buy from large retailers if the price is similar as you have better customer service and guarantees for refund when the goods are faulty.

The Consumers Rights Act 2015 protects the consumer, whether it's a large store or an independant retailer.
A threat from the small claims court would usually be enough for them to cough up but, even if they didn't, as long as the consumer has followed the letter of the law, the retailer would have to cough up and pay the court costs.

I'd pursue an issue no matter what the amount if I knew that I was correct.
Why not just go in store and ask nicely, only boots will know the answer as it would be up to their discretion.
jamieb193

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refunds

A refund must be at the full price paid, not the current selling price.. Pretty obvious really as can be seen by 8 people already voting your comment negative
Edited by: "chocci" 29th Dec 2015
chocci

https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refundsA refund must be … https://www.gov.uk/accepting-returns-and-giving-refundsA refund must be at the full price paid, not the current selling price.. Pretty obvious really as can be seen by 8 people already voting your comment negative

Having read through that website, I can't find anything saying what you stated... It states a full refund if the item is faulty. Also states that a retailer doesn't have to give a refund because the customer no longer wants it. Maybe those 8 people don't like the truth either?
chocci

Let me remind you again what you said 'Quite a lot of stores will only … Let me remind you again what you said 'Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid'That statement is nonsense Apology not required ,

Stated STORE, not online...
ive taken stuff back to boots with reciept , sealed and in perfect condition , no quibble money refunded , pretty sure most large retailers will so so too with reciept.
jamieb193

Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not … Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid, unless it's defective.

​LOL
in your position I'd get your hubby to stand behind you in the queue and when you've returned the product just ask the sales assistant if they've got that product in stock. or say if that ladies returned it can I buy as you've got none left on the shelves and that my wife would love it. You never know might work for you. I've had customer services look through returns many times to see if the item I want is available just not in boots.
Happened to me and I've just taken item back for refund while reserving the same thing cheaper for many shops.

If it's the last one in stock then could be problem unless you speak to decent member of staff to swap it.

Shops do not have to sell it cheaper to you but I'd be annoyed if it went cheaper! Argos did it to me the same day I bought a watch from them! Took it back that day.
Bought online or instore?

If I buy something online and it then gets reduced, and say I've worn or used the item, I order a 2nd time and send this one back under the first order. I do this all the time!
Edited by: "kneale81" 30th Dec 2015
Just to clarify .... (I work for boots) so my facts are 100% correct guaranteed. A full refund is given on any unused unopened item, providing a valid receipt can be produced. Your refund will always be the price paid on the receipt. If you cannot provide a receipt you can still return unopened items to store but can only exchange for something to the value of the current selling price. You can also obtain a refund via other methods of proof of purchase such as a bank statement although this is at the stores discretion. My advice would be to order the item online to be delivered to store free for collection next day, then return your item with receipt upon collecting the item you ordered. That way u can guarantee walking away with the same item at the cheaper price. You are not the only person doing this & certainly won't be the last. Boots offer a very generous returns policy to enable them to focus on providing good customer service. Happy customers are loyal customers as they say!!
jamieb193

Hate to be a party pooper with everyone but this is infact correct. Onlyway by law you can get a refund is if an item is faulty, misdescribed or missold.
But i would order online to get the new item then take back the otem with the original receipt to get a refund under boots own policy and say didnt want it.
This thread is a sad reflection on society. (I'm not knocking the op).

Over inflated price for something that has been packaged for the Christmas gift market and then returned a few days later after the price dramatically drops.

Perhaps it's better to just give a token gift on the actual day and buy the luxury items when they're on sale in order to avoid this aggro.
stuarthanley

The Consumers Rights Act 2015 protects the consumer, whether it's a large … The Consumers Rights Act 2015 protects the consumer, whether it's a large store or an independant retailer. A threat from the small claims court would usually be enough for them to cough up but, even if they didn't, as long as the consumer has followed the letter of the law, the retailer would have to cough up and pay the court costs.I'd pursue an issue no matter what the amount if I knew that I was correct.

i have taken someone to the small claims court and it is a very long process. you have to take time off work for the day to attend court. there is a small court fee to pay.

then the court awards you the cost with court fee and travel expense. the retailer refuse to pay so you have to instruct the court bailiff which costs bailiff fee. not recommended my friend if the loss is only £10 say. i think the minimum is something like £35 before you can take someone to the small claims court.

everything has to be put into context. no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Edited by: "mutley1" 30th Dec 2015
bigweapon07

Hate to be a party pooper with everyone but this is infact correct. … Hate to be a party pooper with everyone but this is infact correct. Onlyway by law you can get a refund is if an item is faulty, misdescribed or missold. But i would order online to get the new item then take back the otem with the original receipt to get a refund under boots own policy and say didnt want it.

No it is wrong.

Jamieb stated nonsense

"Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid"

Edited by: "chocci" 31st Dec 2015
Original Poster
To update..... went to Boots today. They had no more sets in stock so I couldnt just get full refund and then pick another off the shelf. We said to the gentleman that it was the wrong fragrance that was purchased and 'I simply want to exchange for the correct one but it is not in stock'. I then said however I noticed this set online reduced by 1/3. Was £97 when bought and saw online 3 days ago at £65 (it is oos online now and is not even on the boots site!!) I said I would like full refund and would be happy to buy for my sister at the reduced price. No bother he said and did the return..... WAIT FOR IT....... the last price was £48.50! It went down to half price! So glad I decided to just go and be bold and do it! If anyone is wondering ... it was D & G The One (female) 75ml EDP with 100ml body lotion, 7.4ml EDP roller-ball and a lipstick. Hubby thought I was off my head at first, he never returns things etc and was happy (and mad!!) to pay full price! He is £48.50 better off now......but thats now to go towards a new coat for me! Chuffed!
ellie27

To update..... went to Boots today. They had no more sets in stock so I … To update..... went to Boots today. They had no more sets in stock so I couldnt just get full refund and then pick another off the shelf. We said to the gentleman that it was the wrong fragrance that was purchased and 'I simply want to exchange for the correct one but it is not in stock'. I then said however I noticed this set online reduced by 1/3. Was £97 when bought and saw online 3 days ago at £65 (it is oos online now and is not even on the boots site!!) I said I would like full refund and would be happy to buy for my sister at the reduced price. No bother he said and did the return..... WAIT FOR IT....... the last price was £48.50! It went down to half price! So glad I decided to just go and be bold and do it! If anyone is wondering ... it was D & G The One (female) 75ml EDP with 100ml body lotion, 7.4ml EDP roller-ball and a lipstick. Hubby thought I was off my head at first, he never returns things etc and was happy (and mad!!) to pay full price! He is £48.50 better off now......but thats now to go towards a new coat for me! Chuffed!

good for you , well done
chocci

No it is wrong. Jamieb stated nonsense "Quite a lot of stores will only … No it is wrong. Jamieb stated nonsense "Quite a lot of stores will only refund the current cost of the item, not the amount paid"

In this statement he obviously meant without receipt which is correct.
ellie27

To update..... went to Boots today. They had no more sets in stock so I … To update..... went to Boots today. They had no more sets in stock so I couldnt just get full refund and then pick another off the shelf. We said to the gentleman that it was the wrong fragrance that was purchased and 'I simply want to exchange for the correct one but it is not in stock'. I then said however I noticed this set online reduced by 1/3. Was £97 when bought and saw online 3 days ago at £65 (it is oos online now and is not even on the boots site!!) I said I would like full refund and would be happy to buy for my sister at the reduced price. No bother he said and did the return..... WAIT FOR IT....... the last price was £48.50! It went down to half price! So glad I decided to just go and be bold and do it! If anyone is wondering ... it was D & G The One (female) 75ml EDP with 100ml body lotion, 7.4ml EDP roller-ball and a lipstick. Hubby thought I was off my head at first, he never returns things etc and was happy (and mad!!) to pay full price! He is £48.50 better off now......but thats now to go towards a new coat for me! Chuffed!

Brilliant, i am happy it turned out well for you.
bigweapon07

Topshop will only give current selling price, even with receipt, I know this cos I returned something and was only offered sale price, couldn't believe it but I think the item was possibly over the 14 days or whatever it was for returns!
Bravo, op! You did well- although you must've struck it very lucky by having a really nice sales assistant serve you. 'Twas no skin off of his nose.. What a positive start to the new year!
joesmum

Topshop will only give current selling price, even with receipt, I know … Topshop will only give current selling price, even with receipt, I know this cos I returned something and was only offered sale price, couldn't believe it but I think the item was possibly over the 14 days or whatever it was for returns!

Topshop tried this with my daughter too with a £70 leather bag that broke after 3 weeks. luckily she didn't accept and waited until I went in with her, a refund should be for the price paid.
scottswaha

Honest would be not ripping you off by 200%. Being honest would be … Honest would be not ripping you off by 200%. Being honest would be telling them that you are upset with the massive price drop. Take a credit note or refund and buy what you like, you do not have to tell them what you will use it for.Otherwise, you risk them saying no...

Companies are entitled to make a profit, you do realise that? And no one is forced to buy perfume are they?

If your employer did not make a profit, you probably wouldn't have a job.
bigweapon07

Nothing obvious at all
mutley1

i have taken someone to the small claims court and it is a very long … i have taken someone to the small claims court and it is a very long process. you have to take time off work for the day to attend court. there is a small court fee to pay.then the court awards you the cost with court fee and travel expense. the retailer refuse to pay so you have to instruct the court bailiff which costs bailiff fee. not recommended my friend if the loss is only £10 say. i think the minimum is something like £35 before you can take someone to the small claims court.everything has to be put into context. no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face.

But the instance we are talking about is goods not wanted so isnt protected by any law as bought from shop so cant ever use DSR.
I agree that large purchases may be swayed towards large retailers as they are better and will actually still be there if something goes wrong.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions