Android "Amazon rewards" pop-up???

Found 12th Sep 2017
Hi all. Not being the most knowledgeable person when it comes to all things "Androidy" I thought I'd ask some of you guys and gals.

Recently, I've been getting a pop-up/redirect from somewhere called "Amazon rewards." It offers me the chance to win an iPhone 7. Pretty sure it's bogus as I've had the "Google" rewards one before too but I cannot find any info on an Amazon one doing the rounds. The quoted address is:

rewards.amazon.com-rewards-for-users.securitte.com

2787703-F2LzB.jpg
But, here's the weird thing - it only pops up on eBay and only on a particular listing I've been looking at. Can eBay listings contain coding to cause this to happen? I've heard of embedding links into listings and pictures but that only works if you click on them. I'm not clicking on anything - just looking. It's nowt dodgy either, just some Reactor bicycle decals.

Anyone else had this pop-up or experienced a similar thing on eBay? I've scanned my tab using Malwarebytes but found nothing. Not sure if it's just something that happens or if it's worth worrying about...

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated as always.

Regards, Phsy.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
13 Comments

You may have installed a rogue app. Look within your installed apps and remove offending item.
Edited by: "artnada" 12th Sep 2017

Original Poster

artnada5 h, 54 m ago

You may have installed a rogue app. Look within your installed apps and …You may have installed a rogue app. Look within your installed apps and remove offending item.

Thanks for the input, Artnada. The trick is; of course; knowing which app (if any) is the 'offender' in question. I would have no idea how you would tell. I've very few apps on my tablet - none of which were installed outside of the Play appstore. Most were advertised on this very site as "now free" pro apps so, again, ad-free. A couple of well established games that had very good reviews too. I assumed; perhaps incorrectly; that ALL apps submitted to the Playstore would be checked/tested/vetted by their watchdogs before going 'live' to the public. Perhaps I am misguided...

I can't help but wonder why; if it were a rogue app; would it only choose to activate whilst looking at eBay - and then only on a particular listing? I can view other listings and it doesn't appear. Hence my thinking that it might be some piece of code embedded in that listing - but why?!?

It can be a few things. If your device is as clean as you say with only apps from playstore and nothing sideloaded we'll rule out a rogue app with push notifcations permissions for the time being. Hopefully it will only be some rogue javascript lurking around in your browser cache from visiting some webpage at some point. Presuming you are using chrome, go into your settings, apps,chrome (next bits all vary according to which android version but will all be in the same setting page), force stop, uninstall updates, clear cache,clear data (don't worry if you don't have all those options), then finally uninstall app. Restart the device (do not skip this step after uninstall), head to play store and install fresh latest version of chrome. Then monitor to see if the issue re-occurs.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 12th Sep 2017

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts2 h, 18 m ago

It can be a few things. If your device is as clean as you say with only …It can be a few things. If your device is as clean as you say with only apps from playstore and nothing sideloaded we'll rule out a rogue app with push notifcations permissions for the time being. Hopefully it will only be some rogue javascript lurking around in your browser cache from visiting some webpage at some point. Presuming you are using chrome, go into your settings, apps,chrome (next bits all vary according to which android version but will all be in the same setting page), force stop, uninstall updates, clear cache,clear data (don't worry if you don't have all those options), then finally uninstall app. Restart the device (do not skip this step after uninstall), head to play store and install fresh latest version of chrome. Then monitor to see if the issue re-occurs.

Hi, and thanks for your comment. Most appreciated. Not trying to be clever (as I probably don't know what I'm talking about) but I thought Chrome was a 'core' system app - therefore I can't uninstall it. Maybe you can if your tablet is rooted? Mine isn't. I can however follow your excellent instructions and delete updates, cache and data - then reinstall the latest update.

I did another test and it's deffo the listing in question that makes the pop-up appear. Nothing else. Weird eh?

Phsycronix57 m ago

Hi, and thanks for your comment. Most appreciated. Not trying to be clever …Hi, and thanks for your comment. Most appreciated. Not trying to be clever (as I probably don't know what I'm talking about) but I thought Chrome was a 'core' system app - therefore I can't uninstall it. Maybe you can if your tablet is rooted? Mine isn't. I can however follow your excellent instructions and delete updates, cache and data - then reinstall the latest update.I did another test and it's deffo the listing in question that makes the pop-up appear. Nothing else. Weird eh?

Ohh sorry possibly, always forget mines a Nexus for dev. But yeah still follow doing the uninstall latested update. I am right in saying after following all that you still getting the same popup on the same listing/webpage? It can be just that the listing has an advert somewhere which contains the code which pushes the Javascript code with a known vulerablitiy in chrome (which is why the uninstall updates and re-update normally fixes)
If you are then try the following.
Free app called "Addons Detector". Run the app and see what apps have the permissions for "push notifications ads", then change those apps permissions if you beleive they shouldn't have those permissions.
Another thing to try is download Firefox web browser and see if you still getting the advert. If you don't it's pointing to the issue laying within chrome.
Another one to try is if you are "logged into" chrome, sign out and see if you still getting or not. It is rare but sometimes it can be chrome syncing things from another device which actually is where the highjack originated from.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 12th Sep 2017

OMG! I have the same thing happening, but my popup chooses different eBay pages. The MOST annoying thing is that you cannot get rid of it at all until you click OK, and then close the page. It pops up and takes over my eBay page altogether, so I lose the eBay page once I have clicked OK and shut the offending page down. I am pretty fed up with it. I am a techie idiot so will refer this to my partner to look at. Thanks for your ideas how to solve. Any more would be gratefully received, and I will come back and let you know of any progress made. Thanks all.

I'm getting this too. It's always when I'm browsing eBay, and normally when I am using a private browser window within chrome. It doesn't happen when I use Firefox. I've cleared data, uninstalled chrome updates and redone the updates with no joy.
Interestingly it doesn't happen when I'm on my phone using chrome looking at eBay, only on my pixel c.

Original Poster

Thought it worth dropping this in here. Someone else has posted a similar thread detailing the same problem so worth checking if there are any different developments in that thread too. Still haven't gotten to the root cause of this annoying issue but will report if I find out anything interesting.

Thanks to anyone so far who has commented. A problem shared...as they say!

Other thread: hotukdeals.com/dis…023

I started having this Amazon Reward popup issue today. The popup appears on the independent.co.uk newspaper in Chrome.

I installed 1 new app yesterday. I removed the AirSpot Airplay + DLNA for Spotify (trial) app and have not had these popups since.

I am on Android 6.0.1 and haven't had a security patch since October 2016, so there's that...

Me too! And again only on eBay, I can be on the site for a few minutes and then it will redirect to this site and won't let me go back. Using Chrome on a tablet, haven't installed a new app for months, although I hadn't really gone on eBay much before either so may just have not noticed. All apps are from either play store or amazon, all trusted developers.

Installed Mcafee security and played on eBay for a bit, instead of going to the amazon page I get a mcafee popup saying "hold on, this site looks suspicious" (I agree!) Unfortunately, when I click on site report I get an error message and when I click on take me back it just attempts to redirect again. Really strange.

I haven't put much thought into how to fix this yet but if I do have the same problem then those of you saying you can't go back to your webpage you were viewing are missing a trick. I cannot just click back either but if you hold down back your recent history of that Tab will appear, then click on the page you were viewing before getting redirected.

After offering some advice on this myself, just had it happen to me last week. Was on a Telegraph news story when it popped up, device (S8+) was literally a few hours old and had only been through all it's updates and security patches. Device was sealed, brand new and from O2 direct delivered to myself. With it happening on a brand new out of box device that pretty much rules out rogue or old apps.

Original Poster

cecilmcroberts20th Oct

After offering some advice on this myself, just had it happen to me last …After offering some advice on this myself, just had it happen to me last week. Was on a Telegraph news story when it popped up, device (S8+) was literally a few hours old and had only been through all it's updates and security patches. Device was sealed, brand new and from O2 direct delivered to myself. With it happening on a brand new out of box device that pretty much rules out rogue or old apps.

I would agree with ruling out rogue apps. I seriously think this is either a "Chrome" related thing or an "Android" stock app related issue. Someone on the other thread said you'd only get this from visiting 'dodgy' sites. I wasn't going to argue but I can guarantee this tablet hasn't been on anything I would regard as 'dodgy' or bad. My phone is as yours, quite new and has NO apps installed other than stock apps and it happened on that the other day too - again, on Ebay.

Ironically, I tried visiting some of the other sites mentioned in this thread - The Independant and Telegraph (strangely both news sites???) and it never happened once! It did however happen on Gumtree (where it has never happened before) but not so much on Ebay. Coincidence that Ebay own Gumtree? Hmmm...

I am beginning to think that maybe this is a sanctioned popup by certain sites that don't know what it is really doing - i.e. maybe it is a piece of code by an advertiser that has been given the ok by the website(s) in question but it is doing something different to what it has been sanctioned to do. I guess it wouldn't do any harm in asking Ebay if they know of the problem would it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions