Android App Stuck on Homescreen?? HELP

Found 26th Dec 2012
So I just got my first Android tablet (The Archos Cobalt 80) and I've been re-arranging my apps on my homescreen.

Google Map's icon however refuses to move or be deleted from the homescreen. Everytime I long press it and drag it anywhere and let go it just whips back to its original place. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling another app that's doing the same thing, no luck.

Anyone know how to fix this?? Running ANDROID 4.0.4

HELP!!

21 Comments

Don't know it this will work, but drag another app onto Maps and create a folder then delete the folder.

are you able to move or delete any other app on the homescreen?

Well. where you went wrong was buying an Android device in the first place lol.

Seriously though, it's known issue, look in the thread about this tablet, lot of people are having the same issue and no fix.
Edited by: "CouldntThinkOfAUsername" 26th Dec 2012

Are you just dragging into recycle bin thing? I have android phone and you need to press on the bottom right of screen 4 little squares. And you can delete all apps that are deletable there. If you drag some into the bin, they don't delete.

If its no help, i have no idea wtf im on about.

CouldntThinkOfAUsername

Well. where you went wrong was buying an Android device in the first … Well. where you went wrong was buying an Android device in the first place lol.

You joking? I've been staunch apple fan boy until i got an android. I love flash player. Can even watch live cams on X........ while sat on the lav! Great days!

Really don't think i'd go back to Apple.

gmdlogan

Are you just dragging into recycle bin thing? I have android phone and … Are you just dragging into recycle bin thing? I have android phone and you need to press on the bottom right of screen 4 little squares. And you can delete all apps that are deletable there. If you drag some into the bin, they don't delete. If its no help, i have no idea wtf im on about.

i find that some apps can't be deleted by dragging it to the recycle bin at the bottom and you can only remove it if you go into google play and uninstall the app. perhaps you may need to do this OP.

I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but using a different launcher should fix it. Nova and apex are both really good, and have free versions on the play store.

mutley1

i find that some apps can't be deleted by dragging it to the recycle bin … i find that some apps can't be deleted by dragging it to the recycle bin at the bottom and you can only remove it if you go into google play and uninstall the app. perhaps you may need to do this OP.

Its a stooooopid function to even have the recycle bin feature if it doesn't work for all apps. I thought my phone had a virus at first when i couldn't uninstall an app. Just an android noob as it turned out.

gmdlogan

Its a stooooopid function to even have the recycle bin feature if it … Its a stooooopid function to even have the recycle bin feature if it doesn't work for all apps. I thought my phone had a virus at first when i couldn't uninstall an app. Just an android noob as it turned out.

i think the recycle bin is only useable for shortcuts / widgets rather than installed apps. it may be that uninstall app is more complicated so you have to go through google play, in the same way that you have to go through the control panel uninstall in windows for programs and the recycle bin is only for files and shortcuts?

mutley1

i think the recycle bin is only useable for shortcuts / widgets rather … i think the recycle bin is only useable for shortcuts / widgets rather than installed apps. it may be that uninstall app is more complicated so you have to go through google play, in the same way that you have to go through the control panel uninstall in windows for programs and the recycle bin is only for files and shortcuts?

Makes sense when put like that lol. As i said, i've always had Apple, and tbh, the premium feel just doesn't sit with me anymore. I still have my iphone, but only have a payg sim in it with a 12months data freebie in which i use for googling when out and about. Android is my weapon of choice now.

Mines gone from the main screen.

1. Settings - Apps.
2. Select - All
3. Select - Maps.
4. Select - Force Stop then Disable (Uninstall updates first, if you have them).
5. Restart Tablet
6. Repeat 1 to 3 (Maps is now at the bottom of the list ticked disabled)
7 .Select - Enable.
8. Restart Tablet (icon has now gone from main screen and should be with other icons).

Edited by: "Acx" 26th Dec 2012

Original Poster

Acx

Mine gone from the main screen.1. Settings - Apps.2. Select - All3. … Mine gone from the main screen.1. Settings - Apps.2. Select - All3. Select - Maps.4. Select - Force Stop then Disable (Uninstall updates first, if you have them).5. Restart Tablet6 Repeat 1 to 3 (Maps is now at the bottom of the list ticked disabled)7 .Select - Enable.8 Restart Tablet (icon has now gone from main screen and should be with other icons).

This worked lovely, not a permanent fix but it'll do for the time being

Thanks!

Original Poster

Also thank you to everyone else who helped!

Original Poster

Don't suppose anyone's having a problem with the SD card saying "be careful to unmount blah" everytime they get an Android notification?

JamesClark1991

Don't suppose anyone's having a problem with the SD card saying "be … Don't suppose anyone's having a problem with the SD card saying "be careful to unmount blah" everytime they get an Android notification?

Everyone gets that. Your suppose to go to Settings>storage and unmount before removing them to ensure you don't lose data.

Edit: Just read it again and made a mistake. No, only if the sd card is coming out, so might be a problem with the card or the phone.
Edited by: "rrobinson859" 26th Dec 2012

Just throwing in a random possibility but: you're homescreen definitely isn't locked is it?

Original Poster

jaybear88

Just throwing in a random possibility but: you're homescreen definitely … Just throwing in a random possibility but: you're homescreen definitely isn't locked is it?

I don't know how to lock the home screen? :s (well other than the obvious screen lock/pattern unlock thing)

I have Go Launcher and UK Newspapers stuck in bottom right 2 places - tried Uninstall (as above) and although it removes the app the icons are still there and won't move - it says app not installed - anyone know a fix?

I had the same problem. Here is how i solved it :

1. Drop gmail on the maps icon. This will create a folder with gmail and maps within it.

2. Try to delete the folder. It won't work. I don't know wether this step is needed or not.

3. Try to delete just the gmail icon.

4. The home screen will crash. When you open it again (by pressing home button) the icon will be gone.

I don't know, however, wether this will work for you or not.

Well I've tried but it'll replace the thing that's stuck
Drag something over it and take that one our that is stuck(have same problem 2 a nightmare!!!)

G.S.A
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions