Found 15th Nov 2016
Hi, I'm looking to get an Android box. As there is so many out there I'm looking for something tried and tested, shows sports, movies etc. At the moment I'm a little dubious as I hear a lot are rubbish and hard to set up. I like to think I'm fairly competent at setting this sort of thing up, but don't want anything too compilated..

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.

1. Ask
  2. Android
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Android
36 Comments

There only a bit confusing when you first play around with them, week or two and you'll be a pro.
I've tested loads over the years, asking which one is the best I honestly couldn't answer.
If you just want films and tv buy an Amazon FireTv stick I've got a few videos on YouTube how to install Kodi, and if your ever stuck your more than welcome to hit me up and ask any questions you like.

I've got the M8S which came 'fully loaded' which has been really good, don't bother getting a fully loaded one though as it's very easy, after a bit of a play, to install kodi yourself and put a build on which suits you.

dellboy75

I've got the M8S which came 'fully loaded' which has been really good, … I've got the M8S which came 'fully loaded' which has been really good, don't bother getting a fully loaded one though as it's very easy, after a bit of a play, to install kodi yourself and put a build on which suits you.

Really old box that now, s805 chip? Make sure your rocking out Kodi 16.1 I'm sure that one came with 14.2 when I had it lol

Toon_army

Really old box that now, s805 chip? Make sure your rocking out Kodi 16.1 … Really old box that now, s805 chip? Make sure your rocking out Kodi 16.1 I'm sure that one came with 14.2 when I had it lol

​Just updated to 16.1 recently cheers.

Original Poster

Ok guys, thanks for the help I probably wont go for the firestick as I would like to stream sports. Will probably give the M8S a go!
And Toon_army expect a message from me lol

Models based on S905x or S912 are the current go-to norm for an Android streaming box running pre-installed and loaded Kodi. A decent-spec box ex-UK with credible UK warranty will be about £29 for 2GB/8GB although it may be difficult not to justify the additional £4 for 2GB/16GB at £33 delivered. Comprehensive spec S912 from mid-£40s. Lesser spec'd and lesser performing models are available for less money, usually cheapest via slow boat from China, effectively with no warranty.

willisp86

Ok guys, thanks for the help I probably wont go for the firestick as I … Ok guys, thanks for the help I probably wont go for the firestick as I would like to stream sports. Will probably give the M8S a go!And Toon_army expect a message from me lol

what makes you think you cannot stream sports on a fire stick ? you sideload kodi using a couple of android commands and away you go streaming whatever you want. very easy to do and very nice little sticks at a good price when it's black friday.

I would recommend fire sticks greatly. stable and reliable.

willisp86

Ok guys, thanks for the help I probably wont go for the firestick as I … Ok guys, thanks for the help I probably wont go for the firestick as I would like to stream sports. Will probably give the M8S a go!And Toon_army expect a message from me lol

If its sports I recommended you paying for an IPTV subscription you can get them from as little as £60 a year. Luckily I reviewed one and they gave me it for free but I'd defo pay, BT Sport and Sky Sports in HD plus all the weekend football. The free stuff is a nightmare with buffering, bad picture or you'll spend more time looking for a stream that works more than anything else.
Sticks are awesome, all my mates have them, I upgraded to the box as it's faster

Toon_army

If its sports I recommended you paying for an IPTV subscription you can … If its sports I recommended you paying for an IPTV subscription you can get them from as little as £60 a year. Luckily I reviewed one and they gave me it for free but I'd defo pay, BT Sport and Sky Sports in HD plus all the weekend football. The free stuff is a nightmare with buffering, bad picture or you'll spend more time looking for a stream that works more than anything else.Sticks are awesome, all my mates have them, I upgraded to the box as it's faster

I have one stick and a series 1 and 2 box. Series 1 as it has toslink. well recommended. I find buffering no issue on dc sports and phoenix.

the stick is ideal when going away if the tv has hdmi.

Edited by: "jonnithomas" 16th Nov 2016

jonnithomas

what makes you think you cannot stream sports on a fire stick ? you … what makes you think you cannot stream sports on a fire stick ? you sideload kodi using a couple of android commands and away you go streaming whatever you want. very easy to do and very nice little sticks at a good price when it's black friday.I would recommend fire sticks greatly. stable and reliable.

sideload kodi, why? it's in the amazon apstore
Edited by: "eset12345" 16th Nov 2016

eset12345

sideload kodi, why? it's in the amazon apstore

how about everyone doesn't want the basic kodi ? also some people have had a stick well before it was in the appstore.
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 16th Nov 2016

NVidia shield tv.

buy cheap, buy twice, all I'm saying

coullgfx

NVidia shield tv.buy cheap, buy twice, all I'm saying

so amazon firestick is cheap ? lol it works, it's supported well and it's reliable

coullgfx

NVidia shield tv.buy cheap, buy twice, all I'm saying

​Dont talk rubbish.

Zidoo X6 pro

I have two android TV and have set up 3 fire sticks. And let me tell you the fire sticks are crap in comparison. The only thing the stick does better than the cheap Android TV (not comparing Nvidia shield) is the iPlayer and More 4 applications work better with remote as they are dedicated. Other than that an android TV box is far superior to the fire stick.

What to look for. Quad Core cpu Upto 2.0ghz and 2gb ram. Internal storage isn't a big deal 8gb is fine. If you can get this for £25 that would be a bargain.

Anything else just ask.

I've got a NEXBOX A95X - B7N, It's a great box imo, works very well.

Mandroid578

I have two android TV and have set up 3 fire sticks. And let me tell you … I have two android TV and have set up 3 fire sticks. And let me tell you the fire sticks are crap in comparison. The only thing the stick does better than the cheap Android TV (not comparing Nvidia shield) is the iPlayer and More 4 applications work better with remote as they are dedicated. Other than that an android TV box is far superior to the fire stick. What to look for. Quad Core cpu Upto 2.0ghz and 2gb ram. Internal storage isn't a big deal 8gb is fine. If you can get this for £25 that would be a bargain. Anything else just ask.

okay, you say it's better how ? what does it cost from where and can you get amazon support/return/g'tee ??

I sound like I get commission. I don't . i'm saying it as it is.

Original Poster

jonnithomas

what makes you think you cannot stream sports on a fire stick ? you … what makes you think you cannot stream sports on a fire stick ? you sideload kodi using a couple of android commands and away you go streaming whatever you want. very easy to do and very nice little sticks at a good price when it's black friday.I would recommend fire sticks greatly. stable and reliable.

Sorry, if you refer to the first reply it said the firestick was good for tv and films. As I am relatively new to this subject I thought this implied that you couldn't get sport or the quality wouldn't be so good.

jonnithomas

how about everyone doesn't want the basic kodi ? also some people have … how about everyone doesn't want the basic kodi ? also some people have had a stick well before it was in the appstore.

kodi is kodi, there is no basic or advanced version, there is a singe version only.

eset12345

kodi is kodi, there is no basic or advanced version, there is a singe … kodi is kodi, there is no basic or advanced version, there is a singe version only.

how wrong you are. personally I use SPMC.
SPMC
Semper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

If you looking something cheap that will remain supported go for the Amazon range. Don't touch any S912 chipsets that come with Android 6.0 as no official firmware for the chipset and Android 6.0. Xiaomi Mi Box out in the states has been getting terrible reviews for buggy firmware and until Xiaomi sort that out (which they are terrible at doing) I'd avoid.
No need to follow most of the old guides out for installing Kodi/SPMC or any other app which requires sideloading as the below app is now out making it easier than ever to install anything. Other than that off course at the other end of the scale you have the Nvidia Shield widely known as the ultimate hardware for Kodi although at the price point these days you are better off going down the line of a windows based machine.
Always remember one thing the cheap boxs run Android an OS that was designed to be ran on a touch screen interface unlike Android TV OS (as found in the shield,Mi Box and Amazon TV stick/box - yes a skinned version on the Amazon family) which was designed to run with remote/gamepad.
Another one to remember is that the next Gen Firestick should be coming out at some point shortly which is already out in the States with much better hardware (akin to the 1st gen box off course still without LAN connection but does have better WIFI chipset than 1st gen)

aftvnews.com/int…le/

shauneco

I've got a NEXBOX A95X - B7N, It's a great box imo, works very well.

Only £26 no with 11GBA95X

jonnithomas

how wrong you are. personally I use SPMC. SPMCSemper Media Center (SPMC … how wrong you are. personally I use SPMC. SPMCSemper Media Center (SPMC in short) is a android-minded fork of Kodi, by the former Kodi android maintainer, Koying

they aren't different versions of kodi, simply different builds by third parties.

kodi is one version and one version only kodi.tv nothing more, nothing less

it's like saying a custom rom for a phone is a whole different version of android because the developer has added a few tweaks, apps and skins, nothing could be further from the truth.

Edited by: "eset12345" 17th Nov 2016

eset12345

they aren't different versions of kodi, simply different builds by third … they aren't different versions of kodi, simply different builds by third parties.kodi is one version and one version only https://kodi.tv nothing more, nothing lessit's like saying a custom rom for a phone is a whole different version of android because the developer has added a few tweaks, apps and skins, nothing could be further from the truth.

blahhhhh blahhh blahhhhh round objects. you were wrong.

btw you used the word advanced not me then said there wasn't one. straw man argument or what ?
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 17th Nov 2016

jonnithomas

blahhhhh blahhh blahhhhh round objects. you were wrong.btw you used the … blahhhhh blahhh blahhhhh round objects. you were wrong.btw you used the word advanced not me then said there wasn't one. straw man argument or what ?

Stop writing crap

You're wrong, man up and deal with it.

chocci

Stop writing crapYou're wrong, man up and deal with it.

sure and that's why it's called a fork ? because it just has a different skin and a few apps ? that's like trying to say palemoon is the same as firefox.

btw maybe you need to look up straw man argument ?
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 17th Nov 2016

jonnithomas

okay, you say it's better how ? what does it cost from where and can you … okay, you say it's better how ? what does it cost from where and can you get amazon support/return/g'tee ??

​It's better in the sense that with Amazon Fire TV or stick you are more a less (not entirely) limited to the interface that Amazon wants, granted there are auto start apps and Firestarter launchers but they aren't as smooth or as quick as android TV launchers. With a full featured Android TV box you are about as limited as your imagination, you can use it as a TV, a pc, media server and telepresense device as it supports USB cameras and Bluetooth headsets. Use it as a gaming console with USB or Bluetooth game pads not limited to Amazon game pad. You can use an air mouse to float the cursor as well as keys to scroll etc. You can also have apps that auto start so for the kids and or elders it's just a click of a button.

Hence, the more processing power the better. I got mine off ebay, it was a good deal at the time. It's a quad core processor 2gb ram 8gb, Bluetooth and micro SD expansion. All in all it was well worth it. As for guarantee its a cheap Android TV box so I'm not too moved if it doesn't work for long so far so good. And it had the ebay buyer protection so if it was faulty I'd get my money back.

I have played about with kodi, android and fire tv/stick. My personal preference is the Android TV.

Mandroid578

​It's better in the sense that with Amazon Fire TV or stick you are more a … ​It's better in the sense that with Amazon Fire TV or stick you are more a less (not entirely) limited to the interface that Amazon wants, granted there are auto start apps and Firestarter launchers but they aren't as smooth or as quick as android TV launchers. With a full featured Android TV box you are about as limited as your imagination, you can use it as a TV, a pc, media server and telepresense device as it supports USB cameras and Bluetooth headsets. Use it as a gaming console with USB or Bluetooth game pads not limited to Amazon game pad. You can use an air mouse to float the cursor as well as keys to scroll etc. You can also have apps that auto start so for the kids and or elders it's just a click of a button. Hence, the more processing power the better. I got mine off ebay, it was a good deal at the time. It's a quad core processor 2gb ram 8gb, Bluetooth and micro SD expansion. All in all it was well worth it. As for guarantee its a cheap Android TV box so I'm not too moved if it doesn't work for long so far so good. And it had the ebay buyer protection so if it was faulty I'd get my money back. I have played about with kodi, android and fire tv/stick. My personal preference is the Android TV.

Think you are mixing things up. Your personal preference is an Android Box. A true Android TV box will run Android TV OS not Android OS. No Android box running android software will be certified to run any 4K apps like Netflix etc (if 4K means anything to you that is!). As said previously Android was designed to be ran on a touch interface and not via controller/remote unlike Android TV OS which was designed as such.
More or less very very few true Android TV boxs those being

Nexus Player
Nvidia Shield
Mi Box

Those running skinned versions.
AFTVS (Gen 1 and 2)
AFTV
AFTV2

Android TV OS but not standalone inbuilt into TV's
Sony Ranges
Sharp Ranges
Philips Ranges
(Think one of the budget brands just released one this week or so maybe I think I read)

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 17th Nov 2016

jonnithomas

okay, you say it's better how ? what does it cost from where and can you … okay, you say it's better how ? what does it cost from where and can you get amazon support/return/g'tee ??

hotukdeals.com/dea…245

Mandroid578

​http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mini-m8s-ii-4k-smart-tv-box-amlogic-s905x-quad-core-processor-2gb-16gb-uk-plug-25-2549245

so basically it's cheap and for some people doesn't work and gearbest refuse to honor g'tee. If you read people's comments it's really not a good idea

jonnithomas

so basically it's cheap and for some people doesn't work and gearbest … so basically it's cheap and for some people doesn't work and gearbest refuse to honor g'tee. If you read people's comments it's really not a good idea

​I now remember I got one off ebay (that had 1gb ram) and one off gearbest (2gb ram) . Both of them are working fine. Of course you can always spend a tenner more and get it off amazon. Alternatively, you can go for the premium Android boxes such as the shield, the nexus and the mi box. They'd still do more than the fire TV and stick.

Whether you go for a firestick or droid box, its still worth learning how to install & set up kodi yourself as it needs updating periodically. Google 'paradox for kodi' to get a step by step guide on doing your own set up.

Mandroid578

​I now remember I got one off ebay (that had 1gb ram) and one off g … ​I now remember I got one off ebay (that had 1gb ram) and one off gearbest (2gb ram) . Both of them are working fine. Of course you can always spend a tenner more and get it off amazon. Alternatively, you can go for the premium Android boxes such as the shield, the nexus and the mi box. They'd still do more than the fire TV and stick.

what more do they do ? that si assuming they work ok ?
Edited by: "jonnithomas" 20th Nov 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769585
    2. #KoemanIn, Thank You Koeman for trying to get Everton relegated!810
    3. HUKD Satellite Information & IPTV Thread48810997
    4. Linkin Park and Friends Celebrate Life in Honor of Chester Bennington strea…44

See more discussions