Android box recommendation

Found 6th Aug
Apologies, another recommendation request thread.

Currently using m8s pro and it works well for apps and iptv.
I need another box and am tempted to upgrade to a £90 box or buy something similar
to the m8s pro c. £30-£35 mark. WIth the upgrade I would expect a quicker, better UI, smoother IPTV experience.

Options:
Formuler z7+ a lot of people recommend this
Openbox vx 2 again, a few people recommend this

Tbh both boxes seem similar in spec, both use roughly the
same CPU, same RAM etc with openbox around £30 formuler z7+ £90. I need this mainly
for IPTV maybe some VOD apps.

Anyone with any experience of the either? I kind of think
both are basically generic android boxes with the z7+ having its own dedicated
iptv app…..but would an android box with S912 chip would be better than the
above? Using an emulator or pp…
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
Nvidia shield is fantastic bit well above those prices. I did have a cheap on before (forget make/model) but that sucked, very slow and sluggish and most things did not run
Would a Firestick not suffice? theyre cheap and reasonably fast.
4K Firebox, lovely bit of kit and a piece of pee-pee sideloading most apps
Edited by: "majestic2012" 6th Aug
If you don’t want 4K that xaiomi box is pretty cheap and quite decent if you can get it on offer (£40). I’ve gone off the amazon sticks as of late they seem to get slow after time, I think the boxes are pretty good though if you can deal with the different software from what you are used to
All the above comments echo my advice. Try to avoid generic Shenzen for Android boxes, they are junk in a year or 2 whereas the fire TV sticks with kodi on tend to have a lot more staying power. Roku boxes have an amazing track record in my household and we still use a roku 2 XS but you don't get kodi with them.
Edited by: "mogsog" 6th Aug
mogsog12 h, 16 m ago

All the above comments echo my advice. Try to avoid generic Shenzen for …All the above comments echo my advice. Try to avoid generic Shenzen for Android boxes, they are junk in a year or 2 whereas the fire TV sticks with kodi on tend to have a lot more staying power. Roku boxes have an amazing track record in my household and we still use a roku 2 XS but you don't get kodi with them.

The firestick is garbage if kodi is what you want. I guarantee a cheap £20-30 generic amlogic android box running libreelec/coreelec will massively out perform it and last years longer. I'd love to see your firestick play a 4k x265 hevc 10bit hdr file @ 120+ mbps bitrate with 7.1 audio like my boxes can.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 7th Aug
dcx_badass1 h, 27 m ago

The firestick is garbage if kodi is what you want. I guarantee a cheap …The firestick is garbage if kodi is what you want. I guarantee a cheap £20-30 generic amlogic android box running libreelec/coreelec will massively out perform it and last years longer. I'd love to see your firestick play a 4k x265 hevc 10bit hdr file @ 120+ mbps bitrate with 7.1 audio like my boxes can.

I agree those amlogic boxes can decode 10bit H.265 whereas a fire stick cannot. However they will have no support long term and be landfill fodder a lot faster. OP, do you need 4k decoding?

If so fire box might be a better shout.

Edit: I've made the mistake myself. Brought a cheap android box and then realised after a year it has no support. I can only run Netflix, iplayer and any catchup services in low definition because it isn't a certified device.

If you spent the cash on a 4k telly a lot can already decode 10bit h.265 so it's worth checking.
Edited by: "mogsog" 7th Aug
I guess the title of the thread was a little innaccurate and I explained myself poorly, I do have a firestick but interested in other options. I dont use kodi anymore, only android apps such as pp, terrarium. Dont have 4k tv and like you say mainstream apps dont work as well as they could on the android box. However, I only really use the box for VOD and IPTV so the android box is fine for me from that perspective but I'm after an improved experience mainly for the IPTV side

The openbox vx2 seems like any other android box but runs the W rather than Z so it's dropping of the list

Now the debate is more the formuler z7+ or mag 322...leaning towards the formuler as apparently offering a good as experience as the mag and capable of VOD too. But not sure it's worth the price when the difference between the formuler and a cheap android box is the mytvonline app...

Back to the drawing board.....£90 formuler z7+ or a £60 mag 322 + £30 cheap android box seem like the main options.
Went and bought the z7+, hopefully it's all it's cracked up to be!
holidayinn2 h, 37 m ago

I guess the title of the thread was a little innaccurate and I explained …I guess the title of the thread was a little innaccurate and I explained myself poorly, I do have a firestick but interested in other options. I dont use kodi anymore, only android apps such as pp, terrarium. Dont have 4k tv and like you say mainstream apps dont work as well as they could on the android box. However, I only really use the box for VOD and IPTV so the android box is fine for me from that perspective but I'm after an improved experience mainly for the IPTV sideThe openbox vx2 seems like any other android box but runs the W rather than Z so it's dropping of the listNow the debate is more the formuler z7+ or mag 322...leaning towards the formuler as apparently offering a good as experience as the mag and capable of VOD too. But not sure it's worth the price when the difference between the formuler and a cheap android box is the mytvonline app...Back to the drawing board.....£90 formuler z7+ or a £60 mag 322 + £30 cheap android box seem like the main options.

I should of paid more attention to the iptv reference you made. Seems like a good box with ethernet and optical out. Have fun.
mogsog7th Aug

I agree those amlogic boxes can decode 10bit H.265 whereas a fire stick …I agree those amlogic boxes can decode 10bit H.265 whereas a fire stick cannot. However they will have no support long term and be landfill fodder a lot faster. OP, do you need 4k decoding?If so fire box might be a better shout.Edit: I've made the mistake myself. Brought a cheap android box and then realised after a year it has no support. I can only run Netflix, iplayer and any catchup services in low definition because it isn't a certified device.If you spent the cash on a 4k telly a lot can already decode 10bit h.265 so it's worth checking.

The android might not be supported but libreelec/coreelec are well supported and receive constant updates. I agree they're not great for Netflix but iplayer works well in kodi, as does local playback, sketchy streams and I use mine as a blu-ray player as well with my retail disks and a usb drive.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 8th Aug
Tested the z7+ last night, you're basically paying a premium for the iptv app, otherwise it's a standard android box made by a reputable company. The app is the best iptv player I've come across by a long, long way, Can get it to load on startup and you've got channels up before the tv comes out of standby. EPG is great, vastly improved from earlier poor reviews. It's the closest I've come to match a sly experience, perfect for the wife and kids and you can load a few apps saving the need for two boxes i.e. mag and android. I've not tried apps such as iplayer, need to look into this but there are record and catchup options via the box. I thought I'd be sending this back but I'm impressed.
I have the formuler z7 + and love it put a IPTV sub on it say goodbye to sly and vermin.
holidayinn9th Aug

Tested the z7+ last night, you're basically paying a premium for the iptv …Tested the z7+ last night, you're basically paying a premium for the iptv app, otherwise it's a standard android box made by a reputable company. The app is the best iptv player I've come across by a long, long way, Can get it to load on startup and you've got channels up before the tv comes out of standby. EPG is great, vastly improved from earlier poor reviews. It's the closest I've come to match a sly experience, perfect for the wife and kids and you can load a few apps saving the need for two boxes i.e. mag and android. I've not tried apps such as iplayer, need to look into this but there are record and catchup options via the box. I thought I'd be sending this back but I'm impressed.

Thanks @holidayinn
nice input and very helpful.

My drawing board now looks the same .....£90 formuler z7+ or a £65 mag 322

strictly for iptv and vod. Smart tv has apps Id need.

Where did you buy Z7 from?

MYTVOnline appears like you said to be the deal breaker perhaps reason for buying it.

interesting :
Thanks! Happy to help.

Purchased from World of Satellite, a lot of reports of buggy boxes recently so would advise buying from reputable seller. Had a fault on my box they exchanged no quibble.

The app is the only thing that sets it apart for the moment.
holidayinn22nd Oct

Thanks! Happy to help.Purchased from World of Satellite, a lot of reports …Thanks! Happy to help.Purchased from World of Satellite, a lot of reports of buggy boxes recently so would advise buying from reputable seller. Had a fault on my box they exchanged no quibble.The app is the only thing that sets it apart for the moment.

Hey, thanks @holidayinn - I purchased Z7+!from World Of Satalite and received today.

What fault did you have?

i was initaly impressed. However, run into issues I think myself already. Closest thread I can find is below.

iptvtalk.net/sho…ion

I have zero buffering with wi-if or Ethernet but I’ve found that when connected via Lan even with wi-fo turned off, my connection drops out 5-10-15 minutes in. Black screen loading then reload app and says please check connection / portal address. But when you either restart device or go into settings & toggle Ethernet auto / manual, it connects again.

However, wi-ti appears fine. 30 minutes in.

I was initaly blaming the fact that I’m plugging Ethernet into sky boaster router and not main router but it doesn’t make sense why changing settings or rebooting z7 would fix the issue so it has to be the z7.

So i might have to contact seller tomorrow
Hi @loyalblue

Your fault - sounds like you need to set static IP, should be able to find in android settings. I had the same issue with sky router, 5-10 minutes connection drops out. Common issue with android boxes, if you can't find the setting let me know and I'll try to find some instructions.

My fault - suddenly box just didnt turn on, wouldnt respond to remote. I tried the factory reset file which didnt do anything then sent it back. WOS on their part were very good and sent out a replacement an hour after they received the faulty box.
I'm about this close to making a purchase of the Z7+ have you guys got over the initial teething stages with your Boxes. Sluggish EPG,Stuttering, regular drop outs?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants