Android box...Your opinions of this one please as a first box

Found 28th Sep 2017
From geekbuying , seems quite cheap but on offer so not too sure. wanted as first Android box for tv in bedroom. Your opinions please...

Android box 2 gb/16gb £24.43 delivered
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
I've just received the Mecool M8S Pro Plus this week - the difference between mine and this appears to be the Amlogic S905W vs the S905X. Couldn't tell you what the difference is though!

Very pleased with my box - it is a replacement for a Droidbox I've had for 2 years. Worked out of the box.

Found the W a little cheaper at Gearbest - but also out of stock till last week ..... gearbest.com/tv-…tml

Mine took 19 days to arrive from Banggood - select the standard postage option to have the best chance of avoiding a customs charge.

You also need an air mouse to make the control of these boxes as convenient as possible - something like this .... geekbuying.com/ite…tml

Have a look at the posts by Riverdraggon8 on this thread for the best apps to install hotukdeals.com/dis…259

For Kodi I'd just start with Covenant.
What do you want from this?

Also, beware any import charges.
But it's ok? Don't wanna buy a turkey...lol
tech347510 m ago

What do you want from this?Also, beware any import charges.

Want for bedroom to access tv, Amazon film and Netflix. Nothing too demanding. Got a decent tv sat in the bedroom with no ariel.
Get a fire tv, or v2 of the fire stick. Don't buy these android boxes.
I think mine had similar specs and was fine.
EN1GMA3 m ago

Why?
EN1GMA48 m ago

Fire TV and Fire stick V2 are Android TV boxes.
Destard7 h, 58 m ago

Why?

For what you want they do the job without as many caveats.

These generic boxes may not be able to run netflix above 720p and Im not sure it can run Amazon instant (I know the Android TV version has been restricted in the past for what it can run).
tech34751 h, 8 m ago

For what you want they do the job without as many caveats.These generic …For what you want they do the job without as many caveats.These generic boxes may not be able to run netflix above 720p and Im not sure it can run Amazon instant (I know the Android TV version has been restricted in the past for what it can run).

Have set up Amazon Prime Video on my Mecool M8S Pro Plus box from Aptoide - works fine, very fast.

I'd say the opposite - the Android boxes have less caveats - no bloatware, wider choice of apps written for them and simpler installation of Kodi and it's forks.

I'd suggest the only issue is the "generic" manufacturer but from my experience with mine it worked out of the box with no issues - similar with other boxes I have set up for others!
Van19736 h, 32 m ago

Have set up Amazon Prime Video on my Mecool M8S Pro Plus box from Aptoide …Have set up Amazon Prime Video on my Mecool M8S Pro Plus box from Aptoide - works fine, very fast. I'd say the opposite - the Android boxes have less caveats - no bloatware, wider choice of apps written for them and simpler installation of Kodi and it's forks. I'd suggest the only issue is the "generic" manufacturer but from my experience with mine it worked out of the box with no issues - similar with other boxes I have set up for others!

I based my post on precisely what they said they wanted.

The 720p issue with Netflix was one I've heard about from other people on this site and Amazon Instant from similar comments by others as the app was tied to Sony TVs in the past for the Android TV version.

Which version of the app are you using/where did you get it from and is it fine with a generic remote or are you using a KB/M?

Installing Kodi is also not too much of an issue on fire devices, just follow the guide on AFTV news for the easy version as the owner has a small app which makes it allot easier.
tech347536 m ago

I based my post on precisely what they said they wanted.The 720p issue …I based my post on precisely what they said they wanted.The 720p issue with Netflix was one I've heard about from other people on this site and Amazon Instant from similar comments by others as the app was tied to Sony TVs in the past for the Android TV version. Which version of the app are you using/where did you get it from and is it fine with a generic remote or are you using a KB/M?Installing Kodi is also not too much of an issue on fire devices, just follow the guide on AFTV news for the easy version as the owner has a small app which makes it allot easier.

Guess it's game of opinions! I don't have a Fire stick so only repeating what I had read!!

It's Version 3.0.212.4841, works flawlessly - downloaded it via Aptiode (see my link on an earlier post on this thread where I refer to RiverDragon8's posts - that's where I downloaded Aptoide from). I use a generic air mouse - works on everything I've tried it on.

I'm not a guru of any sorts on this technology - just a user, but others have commented on here that the box I have can output Netflix in 1080 - freaktab.com/for…ing Not an issue for me as 720 looks great on my 9 year old Plasma!
Edited by: "Van1973" 29th Sep 2017
tech347517 h, 47 m ago

What do you want from this?Also, beware any import charges.

Re: import charges. I received my box 19 days after ordering with no custom charges. I bought the box from Banggood for £24.xx and they marked the value on the package as $14.xx Again, read on here someone else who ordered a week before me was charged £8 by Royal Mail for a similarly marked box - so it appears to be pot luck!

If anyone takes the expedited DHL postal option they appear to be in greater risk of being caught with a customs charge - which appears to be 20% VAT and an £11 DHL admin fee.
Van19731 h, 36 m ago

Guess it's game of opinions! I don't have a Fire stick so only repeating …Guess it's game of opinions! I don't have a Fire stick so only repeating what I had read!!It's Version 3.0.212.4841, works flawlessly - downloaded it via Aptiode (see my link on an earlier post on this thread where I refer to RiverDragon8's posts - that's where I downloaded Aptoide from). I use a generic air mouse - works on everything I've tried it on. I'm not a guru of any sorts on this technology - just a user, but others have commented on here that the box I have can output Netflix in 1080 - http://freaktab.com/forum/advertisers-and-vendor-support-area/geekbuying-com/653868-new-product-mecool-m8s-pro-plus-android-7-1-1-amlogic-s905x-2gb-16gb-wifi-4kx2k-60fps-vp9-hdr10-youtube-netflix-1080p-streaming Not an issue for me as 720 looks great on my 9 year old Plasma!

I think we just have to leave it as YMMV.

Both setups have their pros and cons depending on what you want.
Amazon video doesn't display in HD, which isn't a deal breaker, the picture is still good enough to watch though.

1) First thing I always do with these boxes is to install titanium backup from the play store and use it to uninstalling all the crap that come pre-installed.

2) Install Appstarter click to get your Kodi/SPMC from (I prefer SPMC)

3) Install paradox build click.
Android box much better option than the Firestick imo, Playstore already installed on most so no messing about sideloading etc.

I'm not a Kodi fan, imo it's over complicated and not as reliable as some of the standard android apps. I prefer Perfect player for my streams etc..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants