Android Car Stereos?

Found 7th Nov 2015
Hey guys, I'm looking at buying a new stereo for my car, and I've seen one I quite like but unsure whether it'd be a good idea or not.

erisin.kancart.com/ite…-3G!detail

So it's a Chinese stereo, one that has built in android and win CE, and it is a 1 DIN design which I have to have due to Mini R50s having some mechanism which has to be heavily modified to fit a 2 DIN stereo in.

My questions are:
Has anyone tried stereos like these or similar and what are your opinions? Am I better off buying just a standard stereo unit with Bluetooth for my phone? Or is it worth me spending money on a decent tablet and installing that instead?

Thanks guys
Community Updates
AskCarCar StereoAndroid
17 Comments
Chavvy in my opinion, best suited to a clapped out boy racer on a council estate. Ignoring that though, the one you linked to is expensive and running a version of android that is 4 years old and some apps don't run on it. Personally I can't see the need or use case for a android stereo, not like you can use it when driving so what's the point?
Original Poster
More for google play music without Bluetooth or plugging anything in, using an aux at the mo
chazdcfc

More for google play music without Bluetooth or plugging anything in, … More for google play music without Bluetooth or plugging anything in, using an aux at the mo

How are you planning on giving it an internet connection? If wifi then you'll need to hotspot your phone, which will use much more battery that Bluetooth would.
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 7th Nov 2015
Original Poster
I have an in car mifi so no need to use my phone
Just make sure you have any aerial amp, facia adaptor and wiring loom that you might need.
I had trouble with a skoda octavia as it's electrics were of can bus type and I had to splice an "ignition on" feed from the heating controller
dcx_badass

How are you planning on giving it an internet connection? If wifi then … How are you planning on giving it an internet connection? If wifi then you'll need to hotspot your phone, which will use much more battery that Bluetooth would.

​get aukey bluetooth adapter (around 12quid ) plug it in to your cars aux and stream Google music via Bluetooth. I have this in my car and also works as hands free
I've been looking at getting one for our campervan, although a double din unit instead.

From what I found out from reading lots of reviews and asking questions I will be going for...

One that is pure Android (The ones that run on Win CE are supposed to be slower),
One that is at least version 4.4

Our need is a little different as I intend to use ours as a media player once we are setup on sites. I had planned to use a second screen too running to the back somewhere but from what I can tell the second screen output only works on these when it is playing a DVD. Really I don't want to take a stack of DVDs with me in the Campervan - part of the appeal was ripping them to a memory card. However from what I can tell the extra output doesn't work when just playing a media file

At the moment we use a Jabra device which allows us to stream music over bluetooth to the old stereo via the aux in. Then we use an old Nexus 7 as the media playing device which can be moved to the back.

The idea of the android double din is just to make everything neater and less to carry. I'd also appreciate the built in sat nav.

I think the only thing stopping me is the issue with the rear output - otherwise I think it would have been bought!
Ignore dcx_badass. Android is definitely the way to go for a head unit.

I just fitted an eonon ga5253v in my passat. It's double din, 8inch, pure android with full canbus support and sounds so much better than the old unit.

Have a look at eonon.co.uk, they may have a custom fit unit for your particular car.
me and the mrs each have single din Sony XPlod bluetooth head unit and connect them to our Android phones and it workls perfectly - stream music and full hands free for calls etc.

Not bothered about mifi etc but for in car audio and praticality it couldnt be any better.
I remember a while ago a lot of people were installing mini itx pcs in their cars. Should be able to find a good android based front end but I'm not sure about the amp.
Original Poster
I've been looking at the Eonon ones too, I can only fit single din in the car so I'm limited to what I can get, the ga1312 model looked perfect so might go for that instead
Original Poster
I went for the Xtrons D788A as it went down on offer! Thanks for your help guys!
chazdcfc

I went for the Xtrons D788A as it went down on offer! Thanks for your … I went for the Xtrons D788A as it went down on offer! Thanks for your help guys!

How much was it? You've basically just paid £250+ for a 3 year old tablet worth £25.
chazdcfc

I went for the Xtrons D788A as it went down on offer! Thanks for your … I went for the Xtrons D788A as it went down on offer! Thanks for your help guys!

​I hope your happy with it but I reckon you should have gone for an eonon single din. That Xtrons looks awful!
Original Poster
It was £180, if it's no good I'll return it, it should be here tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how I get on with it
Original Poster
Received it yesterday, popped it in my car straight and I'm really impressed! Touch screen is very responsive, wifi works great, Kodi works great, sat nav is good, the only problem I have is it doesn't connect to my iPod but I can Bluetooth if need be, and play music works anyway so I'm not too fussed! In the end a great buy at a decent price
chazdcfc

Received it yesterday, popped it in my car straight and I'm really … Received it yesterday, popped it in my car straight and I'm really impressed! Touch screen is very responsive, wifi works great, Kodi works great, sat nav is good, the only problem I have is it doesn't connect to my iPod but I can Bluetooth if need be, and play music works anyway so I'm not too fussed! In the end a great buy at a decent price

Hi

When you want to upgrade your headunit, I would like to buy your D788A (if indeed you still have it). Please feel free to shoot me a message at ianwilliams7158@yahoo.com and we can work out a price and shipping details.

Regards

Ian
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants