Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Android Messages - Chat Features

Posted 30th Nov
Update - I have now found out that SMARTY doesn't support chat features, which makes sense as to why it's not working as I only joined SMARTY recently

Is anyone else having trouble connecting to Chat Features on Android Messages? I enter my phone number and it says setting up but doesn't get past that, no matter how long I leave it to set up

I've tried clearing the app cache, force stopping the app, putting the phone on aeroplane mode, restarting it and removing then reinserting my SIM card.

Nothing seems to be fixing this and I use the chat features a lot, any helpful replies are very much appreciated
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
Nothing to do with Smarty, Android Messages supports chat features with all networks. Google runs it, not the mobile provider. It registers for me but because I have a dual SIM phone RCS does not work well (if at all).
Edited by: "jamie15" 30th Nov
jamie1530/11/2019 12:04

Nothing to do with Smarty, Android Messages supports chat features with …Nothing to do with Smarty, Android Messages supports chat features with all networks. Google runs it, not the mobile provider. It registers for me but because I have a dual SIM phone RCS does not work well (if at all).

A Google customer service agent told me that SMARTY isn't supported when I called them... they went through troubleshooting steps and in the end asked what network I'm on and said that
andrewworrall130/11/2019 12:09

A Google customer service agent told me that SMARTY isn't supported when I …A Google customer service agent told me that SMARTY isn't supported when I called them... they went through troubleshooting steps and in the end asked what network I'm on and said that

They were wrong. pocket-lint.com/pho…-uk
jamie1530/11/2019 12:12

They were wrong. …They were wrong. https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/148500-google-rcs-messaging-arrives-in-uk

Could it not be connecting due to poor signal, mostly being on 3G? I think the person on the phone said at the beginning contacting the carrier might work in case they need to change some settings but in the end they said Smarty doesn't support it so I never bothered
andrewworrall130/11/2019 12:18

Could it not be connecting due to poor signal, mostly being on 3G? I think …Could it not be connecting due to poor signal, mostly being on 3G? I think the person on the phone said at the beginning contacting the carrier might work in case they need to change some settings but in the end they said Smarty doesn't support it so I never bothered

Maybe, not sure.
jamie1530/11/2019 12:37

Maybe, not sure.

Update - it's working now! I Google searched it again, I saw an EE Community thread. Different network but I followed the same steps. All I had to do was clear storage on carrier services and it's fine. Google didn't go through that with me but at least it's sorted now
Edited by: "andrewworrall1" 30th Nov
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants