Expired

Android phone under £200 with good camera and 4G?

Found 10th Sep 2014
Over the next couple of months I will be looking for my daughters main Xmas present. Was gonna get her the iPhone 5C on contract but she already has a contract so just need the phone really.

Decided to get her another Android phone. She has recently dropped her Xperia SP down the toilet and it is now dead. So, I am looking for something superior to the XP.

Must have 4G, must have a decent camera as this is one of the features she always uses and hopefully a micrsoSD slot if it is only 16gb or less. Anyone know if they will release the new Moto G 4G version before Xmas?

Looking to keep the phone below £200. Do not mind refurbished.

Is the Moto X a decent upgrade from the Sony XP? Can the Euro version be found for under £200?

Cheers for any help.
Community Updates
25 Comments
4G. Good Camera. Under £200.

Pick two, you're unlikely to get all three.
Lol, I try my best.

Been researching the OnePlus......

Will cost well over £200 but may be worth a punt if it is available before Xmas guaranteed, don't want to be on a waiting list as it will be for Xmas. I heard they are opening to the general public soon, but does that mean available handsets or stick your order in?

Don't really want to spend over £200 but what is available that beats the Experia XP at this price range?

Don't want to buy second hand even in excellent condition as it is for my daughter for Xmas and you just never know what could happen, would be gutted if she got a blocked phone for/or soon after Xmas. Would take the chance for myself but not for the bairn, so has to be from a reputable company which I know I will be paying max and getting less for the money.

Is the old Moto X any good? I have heard there is a new version out? Any deals on the old one?

I may even take a punt at contract if the deals are good, could pass the sim onto a family member for a cut price and I carry on paying the contract, I think that would be a good idea if any good deals about, circa £20 a month or so.
You have a bit of risky situation here as the phone is not really reviewed yet. Moto G 2014 edition has 8mpix and decent specs... Coś under 150. Otherwise wait till November as nexus 5 is likely to go lower in price just as nexus 4 did prior to release of nexus 5
dcx_badass

I got an invite on here for the Oneplus, had the invite within an hour or … I got an invite on here for the Oneplus, had the invite within an hour or two of asking and the phone 4 days later. It's a brilliant phone, although the size could take some getting used to.

Just read the reviews, seems a great phone but she is only 14 and fairly small so I think it will be way too big for her.
mattsokolinski

You have a bit of risky situation here as the phone is not really … You have a bit of risky situation here as the phone is not really reviewed yet. Moto G 2014 edition has 8mpix and decent specs... Coś under 150. Otherwise wait till November as nexus 5 is likely to go lower in price just as nexus 4 did prior to release of nexus 5

Nexus 5....hmmm never even thought of that? Will research it now, is the camera any good and is it 4G? Suppose I will find out soon once I look into it...;) Also looking at the size of phones these days, hope it's not huuuge! But then again I feel like a Granddad so maybe she could handle a large phone (does that sound right?)....after all it is all the rage.

Maybe I should just ask her......:|
Edited by: "NEtech" 11th Sep 2014
Bear in mind that any phone on KitKat cannot transfer apps to the SD card, unless you root the phone and install an app that allows the apps to be moved. Consequently the phone will soon be filled with apps. Media can be moved as can Google's own apps, such as Gmail, etc, but not games, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Your daughter will probably have around 12GB of usable space for apps; depending on the phone model.
eshop.asus.com/en-…tml

My partner has ordered this phone. Lead times are pretty long, but if you order now, it ought to arrive well in time.
borofan47

Bear in mind that any phone on KitKat cannot transfer apps to the SD … Bear in mind that any phone on KitKat cannot transfer apps to the SD card, unless you root the phone and install an app that allows the apps to be moved. Consequently the phone will soon be filled with apps. Media can be moved as can Google's own apps, such as Gmail, etc, but not games, Facebook, Twitter, etc. Your daughter will probably have around 12GB of usable space for apps; depending on the phone model.

Thanks mate never knew that.
There's the Sony Xperia M2, which has an 8MP camera, 4G and is available for around £150-£200, depending on where you buy it from.
Specs can be found here - gsmarena.com/son…php
mlb71

There's the Sony Xperia M2, which has an 8MP camera, 4G and is available … There's the Sony Xperia M2, which has an 8MP camera, 4G and is available for around £150-£200, depending on where you buy it from. Specs can be found here - http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_m2-6146.php

Thanks mate, just had a look but it seems close to the XP that she already had. Think I may have to up my budget a little.
moto g innit ftw android 4 evah
dont get crapple

I am hoping they bring the 4G version of the

mattmerch

moto g innit ftw android 4 evah dont get crapple

I am hoping they bring the 4G version of the new Moto G out before Christmas as that would be a decent piece of kit for her. But not holding my breath in anticipation.
mattmerch

moto g innit ftw android 4 evah dont get crapple

Attempting to decipher your comment, I take it you like the Moto G.
Have you considered the LG G2 Mini? - amazon.co.uk/LG-…NBA - There is also the original, larger G2, which is more expensive.

I've also heard good things about the HTC One Mini, and the Huawei Ascend G6.
Edited by: "napolimp" 11th Sep 2014
I notice that you've mentioned the Moto X in your post. If you mean the older model, I've had a quick look and found it for just under £250 at Expansys if that's any good? expansys.com/mot…79/
Again mate, it is not much different spec wise to the XP and even worse in some areas. I am wanting something faster for her. The XP alongside my iPhone 5C took ages to download and open the equivalent app. I know the 5C is a faster more expensive phone but if I can get something close in speed terms for £200 ish quid then I would be happy.

However you have just prompted me to look at the LG G2 and that seems to tick all the right boxes. Good camera, 4G, great screen and overall specs, just no SD slot but that is not a deal breaker. Could stretch to something like that if push comes to shove.

mlb71

I notice that you've mentioned the Moto X in your post. If you mean the … I notice that you've mentioned the Moto X in your post. If you mean the older model, I've had a quick look and found it for just under £250 at Expansys if that's any good? http://www.expansys.com/motorola-motox-16gb-black-257779/

Would that be as good as the LG G2? Can get the G2 on Amazon for £270, never looked anywhere else for a price guide yet.
NEtech

Would that be as good as the LG G2? Can get the G2 on Amazon for £270, … Would that be as good as the LG G2? Can get the G2 on Amazon for £270, never looked anywhere else for a price guide yet.

geekaphone.com/com…o-X

I've never used either, but based on specs, the LG is better than the Moto X in almost every category, so I'd probably go with that. Before making a choice though, it's always worth reading user reviews and maybe watching demo videos to show the phone in use
I think the G2 looks spot on, I did not realise you could get it for under £300.
NEtech

Again mate, it is not much different spec wise to the XP and even worse … Again mate, it is not much different spec wise to the XP and even worse in some areas. I am wanting something faster for her. The XP alongside my iPhone 5C took ages to download and open the equivalent app. I know the 5C is a faster more expensive phone but if I can get something close in speed terms for £200 ish quid then I would be happy.However you have just prompted me to look at the LG G2 and that seems to tick all the right boxes. Good camera, 4G, great screen and overall specs, just no SD slot but that is not a deal breaker. Could stretch to something like that if push comes to shove.

Yes, I really like the look of the LG G2, but thought it may be a little bigger than what you were looking for. Amazon.de sell it for £245 equivalent, but I'm not sure of postage charges. mobilephonesdirect.co.uk have an interesting deal, where they are including it free on a 24 month Vodafone contract which works out at about £10 a month - after cashback via redemption. Problem there being not everybody likes cashback via redemption - but works out at £240 for phone and 24 month contract, with a possible extra £31.50 back from Topcashback.
Edited by: "napolimp" 11th Sep 2014
Worth looking into mate. I don't mind a contract if it is cheap enough, I will just palm it off onto a family member at a cut price.
FWIW NE

I changed from Sony Xperia SP as my first 4G phone to Moto X

Moto x is really a sweet spot in terms of size - 4.7 screen but smaller than new iphone 8 is all but thickness

features of the phone are excellent and camera is better than mentioned in reviews - maybe they made some improvements in the last 4.4 update

I have not tried Nexus 5 or LG2 but I have no intention of upgrading anythime soon - Moto X does all I need and very well too

on screen notifications with no intervention - instant on with voice command and shake to activate camera are all very nice features which I actually use daily !

If you can get one new then should be around £200

I paid £170 used for mine

EliTom
Wow that is cheap, if I can get one for around £200 then that would be more my kind of price. Prefer to keep the costs down if possible as she gets spoilt rotten off my parents, so £200 is more the area I would prefer to pay.
NEtech

Wow that is cheap, if I can get one for around £200 then that would be … Wow that is cheap, if I can get one for around £200 then that would be more my kind of price. Prefer to keep the costs down if possible as she gets spoilt rotten off my parents, so £200 is more the area I would prefer to pay.

well CEX have Grade A - so should be as new for £200

with CEX warranty (12 month) - for what it is worth - but better than nothing !

uk.webuy.com/pro…NLA

EliTom
Its a shame you missed the recent £175 PAYG deal on the LG G2 a few weeks ago
The Nexus 5 expected price drop is a good shout however I think you can get the LG G2 for £240 on the O2 refresh scheme where you phone up and pay for the phone and cancel the sim contract HUKD Link
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants