Android settings

Posted 20th Jun 2020
Just read the news story below about the Apple/Google Coronavirus tracing app, which isn't actually an app after all but part of an OS update.

bbc.co.uk/new…290

Just wanted to check if it's on my phone, the news story says "On Android phones it's in the Google (services and preferences) section of the settings menu."

Problem is the settings menu on my phone doesn't have a Google section, and there isn't a services or preferences option in any of the other sections either, so how do I check?
Community Updates
Ask
39 Comments
You haven't told us what phone or Android version so hard to advise.

If you don't see a Google option in Settings though it might be under accounts?
It on iPhone to
fearona20/06/2020 15:19

Comment deleted

Dunno how to take a screenshot from my phone but that's totally different to my settings menu, both in content and format.

Mine has 4 sections, with the first few options for each one below:
Wireless & Networks - WiFi, Bluetooth, Data usage etc
Device - Personalisation, Call, Home, Display etc
Personal - location, security, accounts etc
System - date & time, accessibility, printing etc

Phone is an Xperia Z3

EDIT - googled for a screenshot, my settings menu looks like this:
41158880-RRh4d.jpg
Edited by: "spoo" 20th Jun
Lot of misinformation about this going around - this is just an OS update to allow a separate app to work if/when it's ready. Nothing will happen unless you choose to download this app.

41158886-avzWi.jpg
Yenyoc20/06/2020 15:28

Lot of misinformation about this going around - this is just an OS update …Lot of misinformation about this going around - this is just an OS update to allow a separate app to work if/when it's ready. Nothing will happen unless you choose to download this app. [Image]

Yes, but how do I check if my phone has this update installed?
spoo20/06/2020 15:27

Dunno how to take a screenshot from my phone but that's totally different …Dunno how to take a screenshot from my phone but that's totally different to my settings menu, both in content and format.Mine has 4 sections, with the first few options for each one below:Wireless & Networks - WiFi, Bluetooth, Data usage etcDevice - Personalisation, Call, Home, Display etcPersonal - location, security, accounts etcSystem - date & time, accessibility, printing etcPhone is an Xperia Z3EDIT - googled for a screenshot, my settings menu looks like this:[Image]

That's look like a lot older android version.
Palwan20/06/2020 15:39

That's look like a lot older android version.

The phone's 5 years old so that makes sense. Does that mean this functionality isn't available on older phones?
spoo20/06/2020 15:35

Yes, but how do I check if my phone has this update installed?

No idea, mine is similar to screenshot above. Can you search within settings?
Pretty **** if this won't work on older smartphones.

Not everyone upgrades every couple of years, there are plenty of us who keep a phone until it dies before replacing it.
If you have a google account, use a browser on your device and enter
google.com/map…ine
You may need to login and enter your google account password.
You will see how google has been tracking you.
I'm sure Apple will do something similar.
So, it should be just a matter of number crunching to determine the account holders who were near to position x, y at a given date and time.
It has been possible for many years for missiles to be dropped on peoples heads with a large degree of accuracy.
How were potential novochoc contacts found in Salisbury? (rhetorical question)
spoo20/06/2020 15:43

The phone's 5 years old so that makes sense. Does that mean this …The phone's 5 years old so that makes sense. Does that mean this functionality isn't available on older phones?

It is visible on one of my old devices that's 7 years old so age not a problem.

For me i have a 'Google' entry under the 'Personal' section of Settings.

In any case as you point out, this isn't an app itself. This is just the toggle to allow you to control the setting that apps will take advantage of.

When you install an app it will check if you've enabled this setting and should have a prompt that takes you to the setting or enables it for you, so no harm until then.
41159510-xDWSs.jpg .There you go.
I have it on my mate20 pro, however no app that works with it?
fullfact.org/hea…es/
Claim : The NHS track and trace app is being automatically downloaded onto phones.
Conclusion : This is incorrect. What has been added is an API, which can help Covid-19 tracking apps function. The official tracking app is not available in the UK yet, outside of testing in the Isle of Wight.
Edited by: "andywedge" 20th Jun
andywedge20/06/2020 18:05

https://fullfact.org/health/covid-19-track-and-trace-app-has-not-been-automatically-downloaded-peoples-phones/"This is incorrect. What has been added is an API, which can help Covid-19 tracking apps function. The official tracking app is not available in the UK yet, outside of testing in the Isle of Wight."

Re read no one said it had.
If you can't find it in your settings, but your settings has a Search box, just type Covid and it will show if you have the update.
tardytortoise20/06/2020 16:43

If you have a google account, use a browser on your device and …If you have a google account, use a browser on your device and enterhttps://www.google.com/maps/timelineYou may need to login and enter your google account password.You will see how google has been tracking you.I'm sure Apple will do something similar.So, it should be just a matter of number crunching to determine the account holders who were near to position x, y at a given date and time.It has been possible for many years for missiles to be dropped on peoples heads with a large degree of accuracy.How were potential novochoc contacts found in Salisbury? (rhetorical question)

Does location need to be on for this to work?
simonvf40020/06/2020 19:49

Does location need to be on for this to work?

Yes, but the notification service doesn't actually use device location.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 20th Jun

If you have a google account, use a browser on your device and …If you have a google account, use a browser on your device and enterhttps://www.google.com/maps/timelineYou may need to login and enter your google account password.You will see how google has been tracking you.I'm sure Apple will do something similar.So, it should be just a matter of number crunching to determine the account holders who were near to position x, y at a given date and time.It has been possible for many years for missiles to be dropped on peoples heads with a large degree of accuracy.How were potential novochoc contacts found in Salisbury? (rhetorical question)

Let me be clear.
The method I have described is using GPS - NOT bluetooth.
GPS is used in many apps - maps and navigation particularly and then things like tracking your loved ones (or their phones), finding a lost phone etc. Your movements are being recorded, so you (and others) can see where you have been (or more accurately where your phone has been)
Yes, location services need to be switched on. (It is rumoured that places like GCHQ, etc can still track the phone without location services switched on).

So, for something like a track 'n trace app to work it only needs GPS and the agreement of users to use their data for this purpose. Some would say it violates human rights, if permission is not agreed.
Accuracy, may not be that brilliant. Let's assume it could only find all those at the same time within 200 metres then that would not be all that good - better than nothing perhaps. If, testing and result notification though could be improved to say within 24 hours (or much less) then it becomes more viable.
tardytortoise21/06/2020 07:26

Let me be clear.The method I have described is using GPS - NOT …Let me be clear.The method I have described is using GPS - NOT bluetooth.GPS is used in many apps - maps and navigation particularly and then things like tracking your loved ones (or their phones), finding a lost phone etc. Your movements are being recorded, so you (and others) can see where you have been (or more accurately where your phone has been)Yes, location services need to be switched on. (It is rumoured that places like GCHQ, etc can still track the phone without location services switched on).So, for something like a track 'n trace app to work it only needs GPS and the agreement of users to use their data for this purpose. Some would say it violates human rights, if permission is not agreed.Accuracy, may not be that brilliant. Let's assume it could only find all those at the same time within 200 metres then that would not be all that good - better than nothing perhaps. If, testing and result notification though could be improved to say within 24 hours (or much less) then it becomes more viable.

This isn't at all how the tracking apps (will) work and wouldn't be capable of operating with the necessary precision. The point of using Bluetooth is that the signal strength between two devices can act as a very good proxy for the distance between them but doesn't rely on the absolute location of either device. GPS-based tracking can't do either of these and would be wholly inappropriate to this purpose.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 21st Jun
Illusionary21/06/2020 07:41

This isn't at all how the tracking apps (will) work and wouldn't be …This isn't at all how the tracking apps (will) work and wouldn't be capable of operating with the necessary accuracy. The point of using Bluetooth is that the signal strength between two devices can act as a very good proxy for the distance between them but doesn't rely on the absolute location of either device. GPS-based tracking can't do either of these and would be wholly inappropriate to this purpose.

Just how accurate does it need to be? I accept greater accuracy may come with Bluetooth, but so does the risk of not catching everyone due to Bluetooth limitations (time to connect) and not been switched on. Guided missiles don't use Bluetooth! TBF a combination of the 2 would be best. And I daren't even mention CCTV and face recognition technology!
tardytortoise21/06/2020 12:23

Just how accurate does it need to be? I accept greater accuracy may come …Just how accurate does it need to be? I accept greater accuracy may come with Bluetooth, but so does the risk of not catching everyone due to Bluetooth limitations (time to connect) and not been switched on. Guided missiles don't use Bluetooth! TBF a combination of the 2 would be best. And I daren't even mention CCTV and face recognition technology!

I get the impression that you've not really understood how the proposed solutions will work.

In any case, they need to be "much* more precise (and accurate) than GPS, which only gives precision within about five metres in consumer devices - at that level, you'd either be catching no-one or far too many people, while at the same time destroying the battery life of any device with it enabled. That aside, if GPS tracking were to work, it would require a centralised tracking and potentially quite highly intensive regular processing - a key concern of the (now failed) initial design of the NHS app.

Bluetooth tracking isn't working with the usual pairing arrangement; rather, it's a regular ping of everything in range, using signal strength for a graduated estimate of proximity.

I'm not sure the relevance of CCTV and face recognition here - and in any case, all of this isn't really relevant to the question that's the reason for this thread.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 21st Jun
AW007920/06/2020 16:51

[Image] .There you go.

Erm okay, so how do I get to that screen on my phone?

darsuke20/06/2020 18:47

If you can't find it in your settings, but your settings has a Search box, …If you can't find it in your settings, but your settings has a Search box, just type Covid and it will show if you have the update.

Nope. No hits for COVID, and the only hits for google relate to voice recognition
cecilmcroberts20/06/2020 23:21

https://support.google.com/android/answer/9888358

I know what the update does, what I don't know and what I want to find out is if that update has been installed on my phone.
spoo21/06/2020 14:36

Erm okay, so how do I get to that screen on my phone?Nope. No hits for …Erm okay, so how do I get to that screen on my phone?Nope. No hits for COVID, and the only hits for google relate to voice recognition I know what the update does, what I don't know and what I want to find out is if that update has been installed on my phone.

Expand the "turn off" heading on the page.
cecilmcroberts21/06/2020 14:49

Expand the "turn off" heading on the page.

Do you mean in the settings screen, if so I don't have a 'turn off' heading there on my phone?
spoo21/06/2020 15:02

Do you mean in the settings screen, if so I don't have a 'turn off' …Do you mean in the settings screen, if so I don't have a 'turn off' heading there on my phone?

On the link to the google webpage about it. Although if you actually read the article it shows the "update" you talking about has no affect on it's own and requires another app to apply tracing. As others have already replied also.

41167478.jpg
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 21st Jun
cecilmcroberts21/06/2020 15:04

On the link to the google webpage about it.[Image]

Going round in circles here. That webpage says:

On your Android device, open the Settings app.
Tap Google > COVID-19 Exposure Notifications.
Turn off Exposure Notifications, or turn off notifications for a specific app.

In the settings app on MY phone there is no Google option
Edited by: "spoo" 21st Jun
spoo21/06/2020 15:11

Going round in circles here. That webpage says: On your Android device, …Going round in circles here. That webpage says: On your Android device, open the Settings app. Tap Google > COVID-19 Exposure Notifications.Turn off Exposure Notifications, or turn off notifications for a specific app.In the settings app on MY phone there is no Google option

On your settings screen scroll further up and it should be under accounts. If it isn't you have never set it up in the first place.

deviceguides.vodafone.ie/son…ne/

41167602.jpg
cecilmcroberts21/06/2020 15:17

On your settings screen scroll further up and it should be under accounts. …On your settings screen scroll further up and it should be under accounts. If it isn't you have never set it up in the first place.https://deviceguides.vodafone.ie/sony/xperia-z3/basic-use/activate-google-account-on-phone/[Image]

Thanks, but on my settings screen I don't have an accounts section like you screenshot, instead it's listed under the personal section.

If I tap into that google is one of the options, from there I have 2 further options, first one for syncing, second for for manage google accounts.

Tap into manage google accounts, I have multiple pages headed:
Home
Personal Info
Data & Personalisation
Security
People and Sharing
Payments and subscriptions

I can't see anything related to notifications in any of the sections and a search brings up no hits. Also nothing which looks remotely like the screenshot in the news story which would confirm if my phone has had the required update.
Edited by: "spoo" 21st Jun
spoo21/06/2020 15:35

Thanks, but on my settings screen I don't have an accounts section like …Thanks, but on my settings screen I don't have an accounts section like you screenshot, instead it's listed under the personal section.If I tap into that google is one of the options, from there I have 2 further options, first one for syncing, second for for manage google accounts.Tap into manage google accounts, I have multiple pages headed:HomePersonal InfoData & PersonalisationSecurityPeople and SharingPayments and subscriptionsI can't see anything related to notifications in any of the sections and a search brings up no hits. Also nothing which looks remotely like the screenshot in the news story which would confirm if my phone has had the required update.

According to the Google API for an app to work with the setting it requires Android 6 or above. Reading around I would be unsure what your device currently has. The below is meant to be the instructions to find the build number on your device if you could try that please.

developers.google.com/and…api

From the Home screen, tap the Applications icon.Scroll and tap Settings.Scroll and tap About phone.Read the Build number on the phone,
cecilmcroberts21/06/2020 15:44

According to the Google API for an app to work with the setting it …According to the Google API for an app to work with the setting it requires Android 6 or above. Reading around I would be unsure what your device currently has. The below is meant to be the instructions to find the build number on your device if you could try that please.https://developers.google.com/android/exposure-notifications/exposure-notifications-apiFrom the Home screen, tap the Applications icon.Scroll and tap Settings.Scroll and tap About phone.Read the Build number on the phone,

Thanks.

Problem solved then, I only have v5.02 so looks like I have to buy a new phone if I want this to work
spoo21/06/2020 15:59

Thanks.Problem solved then, I only have v5.02 so looks like I have to buy …Thanks.Problem solved then, I only have v5.02 so looks like I have to buy a new phone if I want this to work

You could update it yourself if you don't mind trying before buying a new device. With off course the risk you brick your current device lol.

Sorry below was for the Z3 Compact. Google around seem to be plenty of resources. Or take a look around for a guide on XDA Dev.

android.stackexchange.com/que…8-1

forum.xda-developers.com/z3
cecilmcroberts21/06/2020 16:02

You could update it yourself if you don't mind trying before buying a new …You could update it yourself if you don't mind trying before buying a new device. With off course the risk you brick your current device lol. https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/196722/how-to-upgrade-sony-xperia-z3-compact-d5803-to-android-8-1

Might give that a go after backing up my photos and contacts
spoo21/06/2020 16:04

Might give that a go after backing up my photos and contacts

P.S I did an edit...link was for Z3 Compact.

Works in your normal browser on your PC as long as your logged into Google. Thanks for the link btw.

They said I was in a forest in Austria, considering I haven't been to Austria in 30 years nor been in a forest in the back end of nowhere, I'll guess they are wrong... unless their trying to frame me for a Joseph Fritzel type case.

41168030-Nryrx.jpg
GlentoranMark21/06/2020 16:15

Works in your normal browser on your PC as long as your logged into …Works in your normal browser on your PC as long as your logged into Google. Thanks for the link btw.They said I was in a forest in Austria, considering I haven't been to Austria in 30 years nor been in a forest in the back end of nowhere, I'll guess they are wrong... unless their trying to frame me for a Joseph Fritzel type case.[Image]

It certainly can be interesting to look back at your history here - just bear in mind that it has nothing whatsoever to do with contact tracing.
Illusionary21/06/2020 16:22

It certainly can be interesting to look back at your history here - just …It certainly can be interesting to look back at your history here - just bear in mind that it has nothing whatsoever to do with contact tracing.

I got ultra paranoid with Google and switched everything off a while back but then I realised they already had enough info on me regardless so I just gave them permission for everything when I needed it. I've been online since 1995/96 so I should really worry about giving unique new information plus I was on Google Rewards for a long time

When you get something for "free" it's never free because you give out free information. Mark Zuckerberg never meant to create a business around Facebook and it never made a profit for years until tailored ads thanks to the information you gave it.
Post a comment
@
    Text