Android Tablets - need some advice please?

Found 3rd Jun
Hello everyone,

I’m not used to android at all (don’t hold it against me, I’m an Apple user), but my dad has his 60th coming up and I’m looking to buy him a tablet.

He likes my iPad Pro 12.9” version, but is only used to android and would probably die of shock if he found out how much it cost haha

I’ve been told Samsung are the best, but I’m open to all advice.

Key features I’m looking for are a decent quality and size of screen, and the potential to link to a smart tv would be handy too (he has an LG one he’s pretty proud of), happy to purchase an additional device of some kind like chromecast etc

All he’ll use it for us checking the news, sky go (when he’s not allowed to watch his telly because the soaps are on) and BT Sport apps, stuff like that.

I don’t really mind what it costs, but it shouldn’t be majorly expensive due to his basic use and reluctance for anyone to spend money on him.

All experienced opinions would be very much appreciated.
Community Updates
AskTabletAndroid
29 Comments
I have Samsung Tab S2 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. The new tab s3 is out now and comes with a stylus.
If you are only after a budget tablet, go for an Amazon Fire tablet and sideload Google Play Store (takes about 5 minutes and you can download the same apps as any other Android tablet then).

There are three sizes, 7", 8", and 10", with the cheapest being £49.99 and the most expensive £149.99 with special offers (which can be removed for free if you contact Amazon apparently).

Bought a Fire 8" for someone who uses it for YouTube and internet browsing and it's great!
Get him the iPad - not a great apple fan myself but if you want ease of use, you having a similar device for queries and then the ability to face time it has to be the way to go.
Edited by: "Bertz99" 4th Jun
There's a few that would be fine for him but the big advantage of any iPad over Android is the ease of use so if that's what he liked about it, you'd be better off going for one of those.

I've only ever used Android tablets myself and love them though. You'd be better off getting one of the better quality/more expensive ones as they will run smoother. The Galaxy Tab S2/S3 are good shouts, the Yoga tablets are good too. I would only really go for the Fire TV 10 inch as the 7 inch is good value but not the best spec wise and your dad will probably notice it and you've said you're bot too fussed money wise.

All the tablets should link nicely with his LG. Just check to see if 1) it has screen mirroring (he'll be able to literally show his screen on the TV then) or 2) it's got casting built in (can cast YouTube and BT Sports directly from the apps. Sky go is fine on the actual tablet but no way to get it onto TVs via tablets - Sky have blocked it off). If not, a chromecast or Fire Stick will complement it well
Asus Zenpad 3s 10 (aka Z500M).
deleted434948
rayanfield8310 h, 50 m ago

I have Samsung Tab S2 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. The new tab s3 is o …I have Samsung Tab S2 and it’s a fantastic bit of kit. The new tab s3 is out now and comes with a stylus.

Thanks mate, i'll have a look at them!
deleted434948
jamie01510 h, 27 m ago

If you are only after a budget tablet, go for an Amazon Fire tablet and …If you are only after a budget tablet, go for an Amazon Fire tablet and sideload Google Play Store (takes about 5 minutes and you can download the same apps as any other Android tablet then).There are three sizes, 7", 8", and 10", with the cheapest being £49.99 and the most expensive £149.99 with special offers (which can be removed for free if you contact Amazon apparently).Bought a Fire 8" for someone who uses it for YouTube and internet browsing and it's great!

I was under the impression that the Amazon ones weren't android ones? Would that cause any issues with functionality differences?
deleted434948
Bertz994th Jun

Get him the iPad - not a great apple fan myself but if you want ease of …Get him the iPad - not a great apple fan myself but if you want ease of use, you having a similar device for queries and then the ability to face time it has to be the way to go.

Honestly, he'd kill me if I spent that much on him, i'd happily buy him one but it's not worth the hassle!
deleted434948
hasan69588 h, 42 m ago

There's a few that would be fine for him but the big advantage of any iPad …There's a few that would be fine for him but the big advantage of any iPad over Android is the ease of use so if that's what he liked about it, you'd be better off going for one of those. I've only ever used Android tablets myself and love them though. You'd be better off getting one of the better quality/more expensive ones as they will run smoother. The Galaxy Tab S2/S3 are good shouts, the Yoga tablets are good too. I would only really go for the Fire TV 10 inch as the 7 inch is good value but not the best spec wise and your dad will probably notice it and you've said you're bot too fussed money wise.All the tablets should link nicely with his LG. Just check to see if 1) it has screen mirroring (he'll be able to literally show his screen on the TV then) or 2) it's got casting built in (can cast YouTube and BT Sports directly from the apps. Sky go is fine on the actual tablet but no way to get it onto TVs via tablets - Sky have blocked it off). If not, a chromecast or Fire Stick will complement it well

IT wasn't the fact that it was an iPad, it was just the fact he could sit it on the dining room table and watch the football on a screen that was better than his telly, and a million miles better than his current crappy old tablet.

I'm defo gonna get a more expensive version of the ones available, I want it to be quality for him so he can enjoy it.

I'll have a look at the Samsung and Yoga ones, thanks for the heads up. I was thinking the Amazon ones weren't Android though, and don't want to confuse him any further! haha

I'll get the model number of the TV and check the specs, then i'll know what's required to ping things up to it. (I use Apple TV because I'm a mug, but it works well for me in business and home).
deleted434948
Bruce_Dwayne3 h, 51 m ago

Asus Zenpad 3s 10 (aka Z500M).

Thanks for the shout mate, i'll give it a look.
deleted4349484th Jun

I was under the impression that the Amazon ones weren't android ones? …I was under the impression that the Amazon ones weren't android ones? Would that cause any issues with functionality differences?

They are Android, but run on AOSP (open-source project). If you sideload Play Store (5 mins of downloading apks), it functions just as a normal Android tablet (otherwise it only has the Amazon Appstore). I have one and it works fine running all Android apps such as YouTube and Chrome.

Main reason into going for a Fire tablet is that they are cheap, yet decent quality for the price.
Edited by: "jamie015" 4th Jun
deleted4349484th Jun

Honestly, he'd kill me if I spent that much on him, i'd happily buy him …Honestly, he'd kill me if I spent that much on him, i'd happily buy him one but it's not worth the hassle!

Just don't tell him how much it cost.
deleted434948
jamie01539 m ago

They are Android, but run on AOSP (open-source project). If you sideload …They are Android, but run on AOSP (open-source project). If you sideload Play Store (5 mins of downloading apks), it functions just as a normal Android tablet (otherwise it only has the Amazon Appstore). I have one and it works fine running all Android apps such as YouTube and Chrome.Main reason into going for a Fire tablet is that they are cheap, yet decent quality for the price.

Great explanation, thanks mate.

Would the downloading of the Play Store in this manner be one of these things that would require updating every now and again? (I'm 250 miles away you see, and don't have the patience to be phone tech support for him haha)
deleted434948
chimp14uk7 m ago

Just don't tell him how much it cost.

When I had mine there over Christmas, my sister (using every chance to take the shine off how much she spends on handbags and shoes) pointed out how much my iPad Pro and my iPhone X costs, he's well aware i'm afraid.
deleted4349484th Jun

Great explanation, thanks mate.Would the downloading of the Play Store in …Great explanation, thanks mate.Would the downloading of the Play Store in this manner be one of these things that would require updating every now and again? (I'm 250 miles away you see, and don't have the patience to be phone tech support for him haha)

No need to update. Sometimes when you first install it it crashes a bit, but once you clear cache and data and use it for a few times that stops.

I sideloaded it for a couple of other people (who don't know how to do it themselves) and they've never needed to update anything - it's worked without problems.
Asus Zenpad 3S?
deleted4349484th Jun

When I had mine there over Christmas, my sister (using every chance to …When I had mine there over Christmas, my sister (using every chance to take the shine off how much she spends on handbags and shoes) pointed out how much my iPad Pro and my iPhone X costs, he's well aware i'm afraid.

Ah, I see.
I've recently bought this for the wife .......

Lenovo Tab 4 8"

She was surprised how quick it is.
I have had 3 Nexus. All just lasted till out of guarantee. My husband has had one Kindle fire in the same period. I replaced my Nexus with a 10"Lenovo and it has lasted longer than the Nexus so I would recommend brand. Older models can be bought for £100 in Argos usually. Would suit your dad,'s usage I would think. I am in my 70's.
deleted4349484th Jun

Great explanation, thanks mate.Would the downloading of the Play Store in …Great explanation, thanks mate.Would the downloading of the Play Store in this manner be one of these things that would require updating every now and again? (I'm 250 miles away you see, and don't have the patience to be phone tech support for him haha)

Did the same as this for my little ones - but caveat to note if Amazon take objection to anything they can mark it for removal, firestarter is one such app they might have done this to in the past although it may be a little beyond me what you would use said app for
Edited by: "Bertz99" 4th Jun
deleted434948
jamie0154th Jun

No need to update. Sometimes when you first install it it crashes a bit, …No need to update. Sometimes when you first install it it crashes a bit, but once you clear cache and data and use it for a few times that stops.I sideloaded it for a couple of other people (who don't know how to do it themselves) and they've never needed to update anything - it's worked without problems.

The crashing part fills me with fear mate hahahaha
Edited by: "deleted434948" 5th Jun
deleted434948
EndlessWaves23 h, 44 m ago

Asus Zenpad 3S?

That one looks pretty decent mate, have you got one yourself?
deleted434948
r4rcm21 h, 16 m ago

I have had 3 Nexus. All just lasted till out of guarantee. My husband has …I have had 3 Nexus. All just lasted till out of guarantee. My husband has had one Kindle fire in the same period. I replaced my Nexus with a 10"Lenovo and it has lasted longer than the Nexus so I would recommend brand. Older models can be bought for £100 in Argos usually. Would suit your dad,'s usage I would think. I am in my 70's.

Okay, so avoid Nexus! Thanks for the advice!
deleted434948
Bertz994th Jun

Did the same as this for my little ones - but caveat to note if Amazon …Did the same as this for my little ones - but caveat to note if Amazon take objection to anything they can mark it for removal, firestarter is one such app they might have done this to in the past although it may be a little beyond me what you would use said app for

Yeah, based on the need for additional works and potential issues I am discounting the Amazon one.
Ironically, I bought the little one for my sister who wanted the ereader functionality, she likes it but it's nothing special.
deleted434948
Hi folks, quick update...

I've decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1", which comes in around £180-£225.

My stepmum is buying him a Samsung Phone, so i thought this wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thanks for all the input.
deleted43494813th Jun

Hi folks, quick update...I've decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A …Hi folks, quick update...I've decided to go with the Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1", which comes in around £180-£225.My stepmum is buying him a Samsung Phone, so i thought this wouldn't be a bad idea.Thanks for all the input.

Decent choice, but won't they be unhappy with the amount it costs (or is that cheap in your opinion)?
deleted434948
jamie0152 m ago

Decent choice, but won't they be unhappy with the amount it costs (or is …Decent choice, but won't they be unhappy with the amount it costs (or is that cheap in your opinion)?

I think that's cheap myself, but then I use an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone X, so i'm one of the ones people on here love to hate

In all seriousness, I considered going for a cheaper one, and I don't honestly see much of a benefit over another when it comes to android, but it's his 60th so I thought i'd throw caution to the wind.
deleted43494813th Jun

I think that's cheap myself, but then I use an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone …I think that's cheap myself, but then I use an iPad Pro 12.9 and an iPhone X, so i'm one of the ones people on here love to hate In all seriousness, I considered going for a cheaper one, and I don't honestly see much of a benefit over another when it comes to android, but it's his 60th so I thought i'd throw caution to the wind.

Fair enough! Why not treat him?
deleted434948
jamie0153 h, 25 m ago

Fair enough! Why not treat him?

Exactly our thought mate. He’s the only obstacle! Haha

Job done now. New Samsung phone, a Samsung tablet, nice watch, trainees... he’s done alright
deleted434948
Actual Outcome:

My dad was made up with the tablet, thanks for everyone's input.

Being the one tasked with setting it up, I must admit I was very impressed by it. Okay, my iPad Pro still wins out, but if I was on a tighter budget I would be more than happy to end up with one of these for myself. I will also genuinely consider Samsung products in the future when I need something for myself, given how impressed I was with it.

Really lovely little device. Bought the official Samsung magnetic cover too, really glad I didn't cheap out of that, it's really impressive.

All happy here!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants