Android TV Apps - Are they just rubbish?

Posted 15th Jan
So for xmas I was given an Android TV Box, installed Kodi, Plex, Netflix, 4OD and ITV Hub.

Now my main issue is with 4OD, it works fine but seems to be no way to look at the episodes of a show.
So for example you want to watch a show, find it, click on it and the only option that comes up is PLAY. It then plays whatever episode it is on (usually episode 1).
I cannot for the life of me find out where you can list all the episodes of that show (which I could always do on the NowTV box).
Netflix and ITV have a similar issue but not quite as bad.

Am I missing something or are android apps just inferior versions of them?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

9 Comments
First of all , go to settings . Do a complete clear out of all the unwanted junk apps you won’t be using to get the most out of your box . Android boxes come with many junk apps.
Go play store and check if you require to update your apps.
Cinema Hd is great app for movies and shows but you also might want to consider about vpn and your safety too.
You may need to add a mouse to be able to control the box better.
Edited by: "saeed2810" 15th Jan
saeed281015/01/2020 08:33

First of all , go to settings . Do a complete clear out of all the …First of all , go to settings . Do a complete clear out of all the unwanted junk apps you won’t be using to get the most out of your box . Android boxes come with many junk apps.Go play store and check if you require to update your apps.Cinema Hd is great app for movies and shows but you also might want to consider about vpn and your safety too.You may need to add a mouse to be able to control the box better.

Why would he need cinema hd when he is using Kodi? He wanted help with All4 not that
What Android TV box? There are many Android boxes, less official Android TV boxes. The apps can be temperamental on the unofficial ones. Also I've heard 4OD can be a pain, it's not an app I use though.
Edited by: "Byno" 15th Jan
if you have a android box, if its not the shield i wouldnt bother. rather get the fire stick instead. you can still sideload lots of apps on it but the firestick is just so much better.
Can’t comment on All4 as never use it. There’s an alternative marketplace to google play store with versions of apps optimised for tv use - think it’s called Aptoide TV. Prefer my NowTV box for catchup anyway.
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 15th Jan
Byno15/01/2020 08:58

What Android TV box? There are many Android boxes, less official Android …What Android TV box? There are many Android boxes, less official Android TV boxes. The apps can be temperamental on the unofficial ones. Also I've heard 4OD can be a pain, it's not an app I use though.

I think it;s this box: Android 9.0 TV BOX, T9 Android Box 4GB RAM 32GB ROM RK3318 Bluetooth 4.0 Quad Core 64bits Smart TV BOX Built-in 2.4G/5G Wi-Fi 4K 3D HDMI Output Ultra HD TV Box

I can't see how it can affect the app in this way though. The app works but some features are missing.
I thought you meant sideloading apps on an Android box (don't have an Android TV). I could recommend quite a few - though possibly a bit dodgy linking to them.

Of the On Demand services I get with my Humax FVP-4000T, it's the Channel 5 On Demand app that seems to be the buggiest.

As for Android boxes, you used to be able to get a workaround from xda for Amazon Prime Video (which no longer works!) and from what I remember, you had to do the same with iplayer.

The catch up services are either blocked or don't work very well on Android boxes, afaik. I have a Beelink Mini MXII.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 15th Jan
To try and highlight the issue I took these photos:

The first is taken from the channel 4 website:

39683417-1rmr1.jpg
See the bar that says Episodes allowing you to browse through all episodes of a series.

Now pic two is using the app:

39683417-9uRjp.jpg
From here there is only 1 option - Play Series 1 Episode 1.
There seems to be no way to browse for other episodes. I appreciate if I watched Ep1 it would then go on to Ep2 and so on but not very helpful if you say want series 6!

By the way I'm not trying to watch Jame and Jimmy, it was just the first show I found with multiple series
captainbeaky15/01/2020 09:31

Can’t comment on All4 as never use it. There’s an alternative marketplace t …Can’t comment on All4 as never use it. There’s an alternative marketplace to google play store with versions of apps optimised for tv use - think it’s called Aptoide TV. Prefer my NowTV box for catchup anyway.

I tried Aptoide and going to All4 just takes you to the play store where of course it says you already have this.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions